U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If given the finances and opportunity, which city would you move to:
Seattle 90 44.78%
New York City 111 55.22%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 02:22 AM

594 posts, read 1,534,245 times

Advertisements

In terms of urbanity, its no comparison. Seattle is a tier or 2 below cities like San Francisco and Boston (again, in terms of urbanity), and NYC annihilates both of those in that category. NYC's range is far greater than some are giving it credit for here, especially across all five buroughs. Despite the recent gentrification of much of Manhatttan and the populatiry of sex and the city, NYC is anything but one-dimensional. You really can find anything there...

If quality of life is important, as well as outdoor opportunities (along with a good, but somewhat limited, urban environment) Seattle takes the cake.

Last edited by AcroJimmy2; 02-27-2010 at 02:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 11:43 AM

196 posts, read 385,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
I don't know if I could ever LIVE in NYC because it's so big. And not enough natural greenery. And too flat. I choose Seattle. Much prettier and better weather, IMO.
If you need natural scenery in NYC, just immerse yourself in Central Park :-)

Old 02-27-2010, 11:53 AM

7,110 posts, read 9,872,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG2011 View Post
If you need natural scenery in NYC, just immerse yourself in Central Park :-)
Lol, its ironic you mention Central Park because Seattle itself is CENTRALLY located in a triangle between 3 great National Parks:

1. North Casades
2. Olympic
3. Mount Rainier

I am not sure if any other major cities, and not even many smaller cities can compete. Still, New York City is better in the green space category than many people realize.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:01 PM

6,342 posts, read 8,727,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
I agree

Lived in NY with a friend for 4 months and did not see the big deal with it (my opinion ). I would choose Seattle in a heartbeat.
New York is like a really cheap buffet: plenty of quantity about everything (accept the outdoors) and not much quality at all. Seattle is like a dinner at a French Bistro, not as massive, but a heck of allot better quality.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Wrong. In the past you've said you've only visited. Your story always changes. Owned.

Well, I lived in Elizabeth for most of my life and could see NYC from the backyard of my next door neighbor and know a half dozen New Yorkers and have been there more times than I can count for the last few years and I must say, I don't see what the big deal is. Austin is ten times the city NYC is, as is Toronto.

Ohh, and SPARE ME the "but that's not living in NYC" speech. Elizabeth is allot closer to the inner boroughs than Staten Island is, but one would never say someone from Staten Island is not "living in NYC" while saying someone from Elizabeth is indeed "not a New Yorker and doesn't know anything about NYC." Makes no sense.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroJimmy2 View Post
In terms of urbanity, its no comparison. Seattle is a tier or 2 below cities like San Francisco and Boston (again, in terms of urbanity), and NYC annihilates both of those in that category. NYC's range is far greater than some are giving it credit for here, especially across all five buroughs. Despite the recent gentrification of much of Manhatttan and the populatiry of sex and the city, NYC is anything but one-dimensional. You really can find anything there...

If quality of life is important, as well as outdoor opportunities (along with a good, but somewhat limited, urban environment) Seattle takes the cake.
Same thing I just said. Seattle might not have quantity, but it does have QUALITY.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:14 PM

22,003 posts, read 23,542,011 times
I'm going to be in Seattle for a week and a half for a shoot. I'll get back to this thread when it finishes, but what I can say now is that I'm super excited because there are so many things that come out of Seattle that I just love.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:24 PM

4,466 posts, read 8,423,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Well, I lived in Elizabeth for most of my life and could see NYC from the backyard of my next door neighbor and know a half dozen New Yorkers and have been there more times than I can count for the last few years and I must say, I don't see what the big deal is. Austin is ten times the city NYC is, as is Toronto.

Ohh, and SPARE ME the "but that's not living in NYC" speech. Elizabeth is allot closer to the inner boroughs than Staten Island is, but one would never say someone from Staten Island is not "living in NYC" while saying someone from Elizabeth is indeed "not a New Yorker and doesn't know anything about NYC." Makes no sense.
Austin better than NYC? That's funny.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:28 PM

3,772 posts, read 9,534,366 times
Seattle is definitely cleaner than New York City, I mean outside of Manhattan there are just a plethora of drab buildings in the other Burroughs. Seattle has the scenery with the mountain backdrop but the urbanity has to go to New York's Manhattan area that can't be beat.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:37 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,752,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfstreamliberal View Post
So did you live there? Born there? Visited there? Why does your story keep changing?

And what's with the massive NYC inferiority complex?
It doesn't keep changing.... I say I visited NY because I don't consider staying for 4 months to be long term. I hung out with my friend who lived there. Some people take what I say way out of context

Since when is not liking a particular city an inferiority complex
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or