U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 09:11 AM

5,969 posts, read 7,723,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
And not everyone enjoys the Northeast Corridor sprawl feeling of most of New Jersey for that matter.
That may be true, but many of New Jerseys suburbs would be considered urban by Florida standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 09:16 AM

5,642 posts, read 7,947,145 times
Default I feel the same way

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Why would it be his fault, maybe Florida does not offer the vibe or attractions that person enjoys.
Summer activities just don't appeal to me. Plus I am in weird old snowbird haven Naples. At least in glorious season (November through March)they plan events and activites, like fine art and arts and crafts shows, when the tourists and snowbirds are here. When season is over and everybody leaves, it's as dead as a doornail. Even the development where I live shuts down the golf course, clubhouse and restaurant one day a week when our "seasonal residents" go home. There are no events planned until at least October.

Boring and hot. Who would want to go out now anyway when the heat index is pushing or over 100 degrees? I went once last summer to the beach with my daughter. The air temp (not counting heat index) was 95 degrees. The water temp that day was 89 degrees. That is pleasant? Not for me. It was more enjoyable taking a cold shower when I got home.

No, I don't like Florida, but Naples is probably the WORST place to be in Florida.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Boring and hot. Who would want to go out now anyway when the heat index is pushing or over 100 degrees?
I spoke to my parents this morning and they told me they can't even go out and walk because the heat and humidity is so high in Orlando that they are scared they will pass out. They are essentially prisoners in their own home in the summer.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:25 AM

21,997 posts, read 23,527,518 times
So you're pretty much uninterested in nature preserves, snorkeling, beaches, and theatre? I'm curious as to what you actually do or did for fun.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:25 AM

8,114 posts, read 17,291,352 times
I wonder how many on this thread who prefer Florida are politically conservative, and in contrast, who on this thread who prefer NY are politically liberal?

Old 06-16-2009, 10:11 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,125,329 times
Quote:
That may be true, but many of New Jerseys suburbs would be considered urban by Florida standards.
Many of which would be considered ghetto by Florida standards.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
So you're pretty much uninterested in nature preserves, snorkeling, beaches, and theatre? I'm curious as to what you actually do or did for fun.
Sit on the internet and whine, moan and complain.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Many of which would be considered ghetto by Florida standards.
I doubt it, Florida has its large share of "Ghetto" neighborhoods as you would call them.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:19 AM

3,277 posts, read 4,607,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I wonder how many on this thread who prefer Florida are politically conservative, and in contrast, who on this thread who prefer NY are politically liberal?
I prefer New York and I'm pretty socially liberal by all accounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Summer activities just don't appeal to me. Plus I am in weird old snowbird haven Naples. At least in glorious season (November through March)they plan events and activites, like fine art and arts and crafts shows, when the tourists and snowbirds are here. When season is over and everybody leaves, it's as dead as a doornail. Even the development where I live shuts down the golf course, clubhouse and restaurant one day a week when our "seasonal residents" go home. There are no events planned until at least October.
Yeah. I like Summer activities in the Summer, and even then I get done with them pretty quickly. But I'm actually going down there this summer to visit family. I'll enjoy it for a week or so then be glad I'm going back home.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I doubt it, Florida has its large share of "Ghetto" neighborhoods as you would call them.
Not anywhere near the size and scale of the ghetto fabulous neighborhoods and entire cities of your so called promised land. And we all know it.

Pound for pound, you guys definately win that category, hands down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or