Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2009, 04:09 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,594,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
OK Its not just new York, but this is why I choose Florida over places like New York.
U.S. Cold-Weather Deaths - The New York Times
people living alone, people living in tenements with cheap landlords, homeless people on the streets. The City and State provides special services for all of these people, IF they know enough to take advantage of it.

It is all just common sense on how to protect yourself from the cold. By that I also don't mean HIBERNATING in your house with the heat blasting during the winter months either. Millions of people spend their entire lives in cold weather climates and don't die from the cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 04:10 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,722,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Your posts are very immature. It's hard to believe anything you say for that reason alone.

Maybe it's the sun that's fried your brain from being in the Florida sun all the time.
Your the one telling me to find something thats near impossible just so you can say you won. Maybe the NYC smog has fried your brain

Old 04-30-2009, 04:12 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,594,961 times
I have had alligators in the lake by my house on the golf course. Do you think I would go over and try to PET IT? I stay as far away as I possibly can. COMMON SENSE.

Would I decide to take a nice long nap on the beach when the heat index is over 100 degrees? No way. COMMON SENSE.

Common sense WHEREVER you live.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:13 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,474,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Your posts are very immature. It's hard to believe anything you say for that reason alone.

Maybe it's the sun that's fried your brain from being in the Florida sun all the time.
Hey Pot, have you met Kettle?

Old 04-30-2009, 04:15 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,836,741 times
Quote:
Your the one telling me to find something thats near impossible just so you can say you won. Maybe the NYC smog has fried your brain

I don't live in LA, sorry LOL.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:17 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,668,049 times
I lived through most my middle and high school years without heat or sparsely using the heat in my home in the winters in Newark, NJ.
If i had enough blankets and i dressed accordingly I would be Fine. I got colds just as commonly as anyone else would in the north would with heat.
And having no Heat in my home came along with NO AC too.. No AC was more unbearable... you can't sleep, or get cooled as easy as you can get warm in the cold.

Many people go through this if they don't have a whole lot of money.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:22 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,836,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
I lived through most my middle and high school years without heat or sparsely using the heat in my home in the winters in Newark, NJ.
If i had enough blankets and i dressed accordingly I would be Fine. I got colds just as commonly as anyone else would in the north would with heat.
And having no Heat in my home came along with NO AC too.. No AC was more unbearable... you can't sleep, or get cooled as easy as you can get warm in the cold.

Exactly. People in the projects barely get enough heat. My students (in a poor area of the Bronx) tell me they put on jackets in their apartments. There's only so much they can do when it's hot and there aren't any community pools around and can only take off so many clothes.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:23 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,722,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post

I have to agree with you on this. I would rather sleep in cold, thats why I leave my door open in the winter, (without fear of hypothermia) and the AC on in summer. But there are people down hear without AC that get by just fine.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:28 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,181,658 times
I didn't even have to think for a millisecond on this one. New York, easily. I've spent months in South Florida at a time, and it didn't appeal to me at all. I couldn't go to NYC often enough, though.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:17 PM

686 posts, read 1,692,669 times
Quote:
I would love to learn to snowboard one day. How good in Ney york for that?

snow boarding is pretty good in new york lots of ski resorts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City