Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2009, 09:54 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,839,302 times

Advertisements

I've never seen palm trees on Long island like the one in that picture, where are they?

I googled palm trees on Long Island and came across this picture. It's on Old country road:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 09:56 PM

11,327 posts, read 20,247,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I've never seen palm trees on Long island like the one in that picture, where are they?

I googled palm trees on Long Island and came across this picture. It's on Old country road:
Those look very similar to the ones I saw for sale except the tree was taller and the leaves were shorter and had brownish tips.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:31 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,722,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post

Those are christmas palms. Very tropical. I have a potted one near my tiki bar. They must have to protect them or replace them in the winter. I only typically see those in central and south FL. I can't imagine seeing them that far north without being replaced every year.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:42 PM

155 posts, read 379,440 times
New York, Besides Disney, and the beach, theres really nothing I care for in fl. Plus the crime is getting out of control. I cannot wait to move.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:11 AM

294 posts, read 410,998 times
both states are great if only visiting .but to live i would go with Fl. cost of live is going up there . but is in NY also.so i would take warm weather b4 snow. NY has great parks . but jobs that pay well not easy to find and taxes are high.in my line of work .i can get paid higher in fl or the same with a lower cost of living

Old 11-02-2009, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,826 times
Default My take on FL vs NY

Oh, there's so many differences. Lets see would you rather pay to cool or pay to heat? Same difference really. Do you like a fireplace crackling away or the sound of a swamp cooler? Do you like to Snow-mobile or lounge on the beach? Ever heard of a "Snow bunny" they're all over FL and NY. NY gets to cold and FL gets to hot bottom line.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:16 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,806,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radmofo View Post
Oh, there's so many differences. Lets see would you rather pay to cool or pay to heat? Same difference really. Do you like a fireplace crackling away or the sound of a swamp cooler? Do you like to Snow-mobile or lounge on the beach? Ever heard of a "Snow bunny" they're all over FL and NY. NY gets to cold and FL gets to hot bottom line.
One of the BEST post so far.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:57 PM

639 posts, read 1,138,971 times
Three years ago I left NYC to come down to South Florida. It is by far the best move I have ever made for me and my family. The politics are a little more balanced also..........I believe the schools in New York are better, and crime is about equal but Florida wins on every other scale......

Old 04-09-2010, 06:15 PM

92,014 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtAJC View Post
Three years ago I left NYC to come down to South Florida. It is by far the best move I have ever made for me and my family. The politics are a little more balanced also..........I believe the schools in New York are better, and crime is about equal but Florida wins on every other scale......
but you have to remember that there is more to NY than just NYC. So, the crime rate is lower in NY State as a whole. People forget that the Northeast has the lowest crime rate of any region in the US: Regional Estimates - Crime in the United States 2008 (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2008/offenses/standard_links/regional_estimates.html - broken link)

Most dangerous states: Crime rankings for 2010

http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/10s0297.pdf

State Rankings--Statistical Abstract of the United States--Violent Crime Rate

Also, some parts of Upstate NY are actually more affordable than Florida, even when counting for taxes.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Politics are more moderate up here too. It's not odd to have Republican and Democrat politicians in the same area up here.

Also, jobs depend on your skillset: Central New York Jobs

Just some things to think about......

Last edited by Yac; 04-12-2010 at 07:51 AM..

Old 04-10-2010, 01:30 AM

1,416 posts, read 3,197,376 times
NY does not intrest me at all and much more to do and see in Florida.. So Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City