U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 03:53 PM

3,538 posts, read 4,549,973 times
I'd say the Midwest is where you'd find the most devout Catholics. St. Louis is a very Catholic city. I think they have more Catholic high schools than any other city. I also hear that the Diocese of Lincoln is the most conservative in the country. I have friends in Chicago that says it's pretty Catholic, even though it seems secular to everyone else.

I wouldn't discount the South. The number of Catholics in the South & Southwest is growing fast. Some of the largest Catholic churches in the US are there. I read that the largest church of any denomination in North Carolina is St. Matthew's (http://www.stmatthewcatholic.org/index.cfm/about - broken link) in Charlotte. According to their website, they have 25,000 registered members. Which I think is just ridiculously big. Then there's St. Ann's near Dallas with 28,000 registered members, and most of the parishoners aren't Hispanic. These churches often have more contemporary music, so they kinda feel like megachurches. Catholic churches like these (though usually not as big) can usually be found in NC, Atlanta, Texas, and Arizona.

Last edited by Smtchll; 04-24-2009 at 04:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 04:06 PM

26,244 posts, read 21,358,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I'd say the Midwest is where you'd find the most devout Catholics. St. Louis is a very Catholic city. I think they have more Catholic high schools than any other city. I also hear that the Diocese of Lincoln is the most conservative in the country. I have friends in Chicago that says it's pretty Catholic, even though it seems secular to everyone else.

I wouldn't discount the South. The number of Catholics in the South & Southwest is growing fast. Some of the largest Catholic churches in the US are there. I read that the largest church of any denomination in North Carolina is St. Matthew's (http://www.stmatthewcatholic.org/index.cfm/about - broken link) in Charlotte. According to their website, they have 25,000 registered members. Which I think is just ridiculously big. Then there's St. Ann's near Dallas with 28,000 registered members, and most of the parishoners aren't Hispanic. These churches often have more contemporary music, so they kinda feel like megachurches. Catholic churches like these (though usually not as big) can usually be found in NC, Atlanta, Texas, and Arizona.
St. Louis was known as "Rome of the West" because of its Catholic churches.

As for the South, New Orleans is decidedly Catholic. I should know. I was born in New Orleans.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:16 PM

1,894 posts, read 1,625,565 times
Staten Island.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:26 PM
Status: "Game recognized game from the start" (set 20 days ago)

30,278 posts, read 34,983,877 times
Another group people are sleeping on are Lebanese. That's right. Look up Maronite Catholics. Waterville Maine, the Detroit area and Utica NY have quite a few, relatively speaking.

Maronite Church - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-24-2009, 04:38 PM

486 posts, read 965,253 times
South Louisiana is heavily Catholic where Cajuns and Creoles live. North Louisiana is majority Protestant.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:46 PM

1,578 posts, read 3,623,024 times
Lyndhurst, Nj i know is a very catholic town.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Another group people are sleeping on are Lebanese. That's right. Look up Maronite Catholics. Waterville Maine, the Detroit area and Utica NY have quite a few, relatively speaking.

Maronite Church - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Lebanese make up a sizeable population in the Detroit area as well.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmaf623 View Post
South Louisiana is heavily Catholic where Cajuns and Creoles live. North Louisiana is majority Protestant.
You are correct. Not only that, Louisiana stands out in the Southeast USA as as having a relatively large Spaniard population, Croatian population, Italian population, and Vietnamese population, especially in Plaquemines Parish. Spain, Croatia, Italy are Catholic countries. Vietnam even has a sizeable Catholic population. Louisiana was home to a relatively sizeable Filipino population in the early 20th century. The Philipines is the most Catholic nation in Asia.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:16 PM

5,176 posts, read 4,241,603 times
Default Any city that attracted immigrants..

...from Europe in the late 19-early 20th centuries, especially Boston, NYC, Philly, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Louis, and to a lesser extent Minneapolis (besides the Protestant Scandinavians and roughly one-half of the German population). These are the cities to which hundreds of thousands of Irish, Italian, Polish, other Slavic groups, and many Germans immigrated to. Today, of course, you can add the millions of immigrants of Spanish heritage, and now many large metro areas in the Southwest can be added as well.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
...from Europe in the late 19-early 20th centuries, especially Boston, NYC, Philly, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Louis, and to a lesser extent Minneapolis (besides the Protestant Scandinavians and roughly one-half of the German population). These are the cities to which hundreds of thousands of Irish, Italian, Polish, other Slavic groups, and many Germans immigrated to. Today, of course, you can add the millions of immigrants of Spanish heritage, and now many large metro areas in the Southwest can be added as well.
Very true. Immigration has brought a large Catholic influence to the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City