Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 04:28 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times

Advertisements

I can understand the large proportion of Catholics in places like North Dakota and Louisiana. North Dakota, I think it might have to do with a large German population. Louisiana, I think it has to do with Cajuns, Italians, and a sizeable Vietnamese population. I am curious about some of the counties in northern Montana though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 10:33 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,516,600 times
I am thinking in terms of devout Catholic cities, it seems that they tend to be rather close to the Bible Belt for some reason. (places like New Orleans, Cincinatti, St. Louis) I was wondering if being close to areas where Evangelical Protestentism dominates makes Catholics more likely to be more devout, or is something else at work?

Old 06-23-2010, 02:26 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
I'd say St. Louis. I can feel the strong Catholic presence there, stronger than the Baptist presence here in Memphis. You can see Catholic signs & billboards, also lots of Catholic churches & schools close together. I'd say it's a mix of devout & cultural Catholics. A lot of people there treat Catholicism like a social club.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:38 AM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I'd say St. Louis. I can feel the strong Catholic presence there, stronger than the Baptist presence here in Memphis. You can see Catholic signs & billboards, also lots of Catholic churches & schools close together. I'd say it's a mix of devout & cultural Catholics. A lot of people there treat Catholicism like a social club.
St. Louis is sometimes referred to as "Rome of the West" for the Catholic influence.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:42 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Here is a link to the largest states by % of Catholics:

1 RI 63%
2 PA 52%
etc.

And largest population by city

USA, Statistics by Province, by Catholic Population [Catholic-Hierarchy]

This is not truly a city list but the regional affiliation so on the table San Diego is also included in the LA number etc.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:36 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,884,409 times
I would say Vineland, NJ, as well as many other cities and towns in NJ and the Northeast, is a very devoutly Catholic city. Although the rest of our county is protestant, most people in our town are practicing Catholics. This is probably due to our (Vineland) population being made up of mostly Italian, Spanish, Polish, and Irish peoples.

For major cities, I think Philadelphia should be a consideration. I'm not sure how Catholic it is now, but back in the day certain parts of Philly were extremely Catholic.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:56 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Louisiana, I think it has to do with Cajuns, Italians, and a sizeable Vietnamese population. I am curious about some of the counties in northern Montana though.
With Louisiana, it comes from the being under Spanish and French rule. The majority of people in South Louisiana are catholic regardless of race/ethnicity. The Italians and Vietnamese are only significant in the GNO area so they wouldn't make much of a difference statewide. The Cajuns probably do play a large role in the southwestern half of the state, with Baton Rouge being an anomoly.

I wonder if STL's catholic population is a result of its position before the Louisiana Purchase.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:47 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,020,368 times
Well for the two most Baptist cities in the state of Louisiana, Shreveport and Monroe have small but noteworthy Italian and Lebonese communities-those two probablly make up the majority of RC's up there. Also small but noteworthy Greek communities; of course they are mostly Greek Orthodox.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:56 PM

976 posts, read 2,241,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
With Louisiana, it comes from the being under Spanish and French rule. The majority of people in South Louisiana are catholic regardless of race/ethnicity. The Italians and Vietnamese are only significant in the GNO area so they wouldn't make much of a difference statewide. The Cajuns probably do play a large role in the southwestern half of the state, with Baton Rouge being an anomoly.

I wonder if STL's catholic population is a result of its position before the Louisiana Purchase.
highly probable. st. louis was an established city before the united states was even a country. it has an inherently european influence as a result. there is also a significant jewish population in st. louis. the substantial influence of both these cultural groups gives the city an older, more eastern air about it.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:50 PM

30 posts, read 78,059 times
Default wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Here's the map from the above website:
Wow look at all the catholics in the great lakes!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City