U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-27-2009, 11:24 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
4,085 posts, read 7,650,922 times
Reputation: 2646

Advertisements

Why is Houston consistently ranked so high? Houstonians. And there are a lot of them, and they all think Houston is the #1 city in the world because they have oil and NASA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-27-2009, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Hell's Kitchen, NYC
2,271 posts, read 4,520,825 times
Reputation: 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Why is Houston consistently ranked so high? Houstonians. And there are a lot of them, and they all think Houston is the #1 city in the world because they have oil and NASA.
I guess this forum proves that huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2009, 11:33 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
4,085 posts, read 7,650,922 times
Reputation: 2646
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
I guess this forum proves that huh?
Somewhat, yeah. Houston deserves to be ranked highly because of their economy. It's a successful city. Oil money goes a long way, look at Dubai. Houston is a bit like the Dubai of the USA. But that only goes so far.

I don't mind Houston rating so high but I do think many Houstonians really think way too highly of their city. And many of the Houstonians I have met outside of Houston have been pretty rude in discussion. Not their mannerisms that are rude, but the things they say, their subtle arrogance. Again, not all, but most Houstonians, outside of Houston, that I've met have been that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2009, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
2,237 posts, read 6,556,004 times
Reputation: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
And there are a lot of them, and they all think Houston is the #1 city in the world because they have oil and NASA.
I see this with a lot of other cities as well. It's like, towns with certain above average features, the people there thinks it makes their city the best in the world (or at least much better than it is). Houston, while 6th by Metro area and 10th by Urban Area, has the 4th largest city proper; Seattle has extreme natural beauty and a great skyline; Chicago has an enormous skyline for its size; Pittsburgh has reinvented itself and is no longer the city of popular conception; San Francisco is intensely world class for a city its size. All these cities have better features than their size would suggest; but from my observations, the people of such cities take it too far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2009, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Hell's Kitchen, NYC
2,271 posts, read 4,520,825 times
Reputation: 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Somewhat, yeah. Houston deserves to be ranked highly because of their economy. It's a successful city. Oil money goes a long way, look at Dubai. Houston is a bit like the Dubai of the USA. But that only goes so far.

I don't mind Houston rating so high but I do think many Houstonians really think way too highly of their city. And many of the Houstonians I have met outside of Houston have been pretty rude in discussion. Not their mannerisms that are rude, but the things they say, their subtle arrogance. Again, not all, but most Houstonians, outside of Houston, that I've met have been that way.
Houston is like Houston. You sure you weren't in Dallas (JKJK)...or on this forum perhaps?

This forum is so far from reality it's ridiculous. (People from NYC comparing their skyline to Chicagos in real life and vice versa? Really? I know most people hardly give a damn about cities outside of their state, let alone their region of the US. I didn't think about Boston much until I got on this forum and I've found that its a nice city and now I go to school here. I never think of this forum as an actual microcosm of the world at large.

Outside of Houston is most definitely not Houston, hell most people barely consider anything outside of the loop as Houston. Where people are in the present can affect them too, but if you meet people living in the city its a lot different. Mexicans have a significant influence on Houston and they have got to be the most laid back group of people I've ever met.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 04-27-2009 at 11:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2009, 11:51 AM
 
2,486 posts, read 2,353,463 times
Reputation: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
I do too. In my neighborhood (City-Data population density on par with Philadelphia's population density - 77006, by the way) everything I need is within easy walking distance.



I never said that, strawman. The point I made was about the uselessness of comparing amenities of cities with population density as the benchmark. Are there neighborhoods flung far from the central city, too far away to have quick access to museums, theaters and regular street fesivals? Of course, but this is no different from any other city in the US, Boston, Philadelphia and New York included. I also haven't spoken ill about any of those cities. While I've yet to visit Boston, I know for a fact Philadelphia and New York and all the other top tier US cities are thoroughly enjoyable. They're beautiful cities and have tons of things to do if you're a tourist. On the other hand, Houston is not a city geared towards tourism. It doesn't register on anyone's radar as a place to go for things to see. When people come here, they do it for business or simply because they're passing through and filling time. Under these circumstances, and because the beauty inherent in this city is off the beaten path (ie. freeways) people get the wrong impression of the place and categorize it strictly off hearsay. You won't find Houston's soul on the Interstate. You won't find any city's soul on the Interstate, and if that's where you look for it, that's your own fault, and indicates an inability to travel knowledgeably.
God this forum is annoying. Don't ell me about my inablility of travel knowledgeablity. You seem to know absolutley nothing of me, and anything about how I visit cities. Don't make such an ignorant judgement on me again.

Here is a photo thread of Baltimore I just made today of my trip there over the past few days. Would you even get out of your car and get some of these photos?

My photos of Baltimore - Lot of photos

My hobby is to travel cities and photograph them. I go everywhere, and not just the interstate or the touristy areas. Again, don't cast a ignorant judgement on me again. I am the LAST person who visits a city by taking the interstate into downtown. When I visit cities, I try to visit almost every neighborhood good or bad. I try to see all the architecture, culture, and what amenities that city has to offer.

and what the hell is Strawman? Is that an insult or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2009, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,604,387 times
Reputation: 7259
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Why is Houston consistently ranked so high? Houstonians. And there are a lot of them, and they all think Houston is the #1 city in the world because they have oil and NASA.
As along as I've been on this forum, I've never heard any houstonian consider us the #1 city in the country. Talk about exaggeration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2009, 12:05 PM
 
969 posts, read 2,601,012 times
Reputation: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
What is it with these people putting Houston at #4? Theres NYC, LA, Chi,....and Houston! Seriously wtf?

Because of Houston's population at 2.1 million ppl? City population dont mean much, its the metro population that counts. Houston's metro is not yet bigger than Dallas-Ft. Worth and Philly!

When it comes, to art, shopping, entertainment, culture, theatre...I see ppl claimin Houston as #4 and some even dare challenge Houston with CHICAGO! I don't even see why Houston is clearly better than my hometown of Phillly
As someone who's spent quite a bit of time in the 713, I've seem that there's a lot of hometown pride in:
  • A Bay & coastline riddled with refineries & chemical plants
  • An area overrun with illegals, and the cooresponding crime
  • being ranked #1 in the nation in DUI's
  • No native cuisine (every strip center has one or two mexican places)
  • a very dirty & gritty blue collar feel
  • socializing consisting of drinking cheap beer in someone's garage.
Yep, lot's to be proud of!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2009, 12:09 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
4,085 posts, read 7,650,922 times
Reputation: 2646
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Houston is like Houston. You sure you weren't in Dallas (JKJK)...or on this forum perhaps?

This forum is so far from reality it's ridiculous. (People from NYC comparing their skyline to Chicagos in real life and vice versa? Really? I know most people hardly give a damn about cities outside of their state, let alone their region of the US. I didn't think about Boston much until I got on this forum and I've found that its a nice city and now I go to school here. I never think of this forum as an actual microcosm of the world at large.

Outside of Houston is most definitely not Houston, hell most people barely consider anything outside of the loop as Houston. Where people are in the present can affect them too, but if you meet people living in the city its a lot different. Mexicans have a significant influence on Houston and they have got to be the most laid back group of people I've ever met.
Houstonians exist outside of Houston. That is because people from Houston travel to other places and that's where I meet them, and that's what I was talking about.

When I'm in Houston, the Houstonians don't brag too much.

When I'm not in Houston, but I meet someone who is from Houston, the person tends to brag and talk about Houston like it's the center of the world. I'm thinking of specific people I've met in Florida, Ohio, New York, L.A., and Las Vegas, to name a few. Houstonians, who were on the road, traveling, for either work or pleasure, who crossed paths with me. Pleasant people to start conversations with, and then a little ways into the conversation, an attitude unveils itself that consists of elevating Houston and talking down wherever we are, or wherever others in the conversation are from.

An example:
In Orlando, I was with a friend and his girlfriend, and this Houstonian woman started talking with my friend's girlfriend. She first was pleasant and nice. Then she was saying how great Houston is because at the school her brat went to, they make things with glue and macaroni, or something stupid like that. Then, when she found out my friend was from NJ, she tells his girlfriend how horrible NJ is and why don't they know how to drive up there??? (Which is funny coming from a Houstonian, as I learned years later!) My friend's girlfriend was from Virginia so she went along with the Jersey-bashing, then the Houstonian woman started talking down about Virginia. "Oh, the people there don't have a clue!" lol, so my friend's g/f rudely got up and left at that point.

Now, that's one example, and if it were an isolated incident, which I wrote it off as at the time, that would be one thing.

But over the years, this is the same kind of weird attitude, a passive/aggressive attitude I've gotten from Houstonians everywhere I've met them. It's truly weird and bizarre, I hate to say it, but it's very evident.

IN Houston, though, I never ran into that attitude. IN Houston, people were pleasant and didn't discuss where you were from, as if it were taboo. But they were much more pleasant.

Maybe it's the malcontents who travel outside of Houston more? I don't know, but I do know what my experience has been with Houstonians both in and outside of Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2009, 12:11 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
4,085 posts, read 7,650,922 times
Reputation: 2646
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
As along as I've been on this forum, I've never heard any houstonian consider us the #1 city in the country. Talk about exaggeration.
You're right, it was an exaggeration. But in "real life" I have heard Houstonians talk about Houston as being one of the top cities (as in top 2 or 3) in the nation. Then again, it is ranked at 4th I believe, so maybe they have a point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:29 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top