Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 06:53 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times

Advertisements

Looks like they chopped over half of Detroits metro population(1.8M ?) for whatever reason.

They werent clear at all about the criteria they used for the metro area which is incredibly unprofessional. Seems they drew a line somewhere in the middle of the metro and said we'll count everything on this side of the line.

The metro portion of Detroit that got left out no doubt were the areas where crime rate is non existent and the QOL is very high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 09:11 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
The Population numbers they used for metro Philadelphia are off by 2 million people, thats a red flag right there.
Agreed. The methodology is flawed based on those numbers alone. If they're including just the very immediate areas of Philadelphia, Chester and Camden -- which is what I presume they did -- then obviously the crime rate for what they've defined as the "metro area" is going to be skewed.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:26 AM

208 posts, read 605,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Looks like they chopped over half of Detroits metro population(1.8M ?) for whatever reason.

They werent clear at all about the criteria they used for the metro area which is incredibly unprofessional. Seems they drew a line somewhere in the middle of the metro and said we'll count everything on this side of the line.

The metro portion of Detroit that got left out no doubt were the areas where crime rate is non existent and the QOL is very high.
Also you wonder if some cities that SHOULD be on the list are in fact not because of the incomplete population figures.

But as for Nashville, I can see that. A good portion of Metro Nashville includes the city of Nashville which has a high crime rate. As much as I like Nashville, I would like to move back to the more peaceful less crime infested northeastern part of Tennessee or even southwestern Virginia.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:36 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times
Now what was that about St. Louis being so toxically crime-ridden? I really hate people who say that because what they don't know is that St. Louis City is only 60 square miles, and that St. Louis County, which comprises the bulk of the metro area, is constantly rated as one of the safest counties in the nation. I guarantee that if you merged the city and the county together, which is really the true St. Louis anyway, all of these complaints about St. Louis' crime would stop. Now Detroit? That's a crime-filled city, and it's actually very oddly dangerous for a Midwestern city, not only dangerous in the city limits but in throughout the metro area. Most Midwestern cities (such as St. Louis and Minneapolis) are dangerous within their city limits, but throughout the metro areas the numbers decline enormously.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:25 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Of course Miami is on this list -- Miami seems to make it on to every "top 5 worst" list these days.

Why? There's no simple answer, but a lot of it boils down to the fact that this is a real "dog eat dog" kind of place, where there's little or no respect, no manners, extreme greed and selfishness. Miami is a decaying swamp town, filled with people who do not care about the city, many of whom are from "somewhere else".

The best thing that could happen to Miami would be a category 5 hurricane, as harsh as that sounds. You really have to live here to understand why this place is so f**ked up.
Sorry to read your post. I love vacationing in Miami\ South Beach.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:06 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,686,780 times
To be honest, i thought NYC was going to be on the list with Newark, Irvington, and East Orange in the metro but i guess I was wrng.

Philadelphia i thought for sure should be on the top list.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:34 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,393,276 times
smh at Charlotte

Old 04-26-2009, 06:38 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Now what was that about St. Louis being so toxically crime-ridden? I really hate people who say that because what they don't know is that St. Louis City is only 60 square miles, and that St. Louis County, which comprises the bulk of the metro area, is constantly rated as one of the safest counties in the nation. I guarantee that if you merged the city and the county together, which is really the true St. Louis anyway, all of these complaints about St. Louis' crime would stop. Now Detroit? That's a crime-filled city, and it's actually very oddly dangerous for a Midwestern city, not only dangerous in the city limits but in throughout the metro area. Most Midwestern cities (such as St. Louis and Minneapolis) are dangerous within their city limits, but throughout the metro areas the numbers decline enormously.
They only included Wayne county (where Detroit proper is located). If they had included Oakland and Macomb counties, which make up nearly half of the metro area's population, the crime rate statistics would have been considerably lower.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes30 View Post
Also you wonder if some cities that SHOULD be on the list are in fact not because of the incomplete population figures.
Detroit and every other city with high crime rates should pull a page out of Chicagos book. Chicago and I believe Cleveland do not get included in the official FBI crime ratings because there is a discrepancy in several categories including rape.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
They only included Wayne county (where Detroit proper is located). If they had included Oakland and Macomb counties, which make up nearly half of the metro area's population, the crime rate statistics would have been considerably lower.
Ditto Philly. Seeing how its a NYC publication and how they love to dump on Philly it wouldnt shock me if they decided momentarily to include Mercer County NJ(Trenton-high crime) in Phillys metro. Any other ranking Mercer is in NY's metro as its a fairly affluent county outside of trenton.

In any case they undercounted Philly's metro by 2 million people.

Chester County- population 500,000( 21st wealthiest county in USA)

Montgomery County-population 800,000(41st wealhiest county in USA)

Bucks County-Population 600,000 (56th wealthiest in USA)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City