U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities have the worst car traffic??
Los Angeles 94 58.39%
New York City 59 36.65%
Atlanta 48 29.81%
Washington, D.C. 54 33.54%
San Francisco 18 11.18%
Houston 30 18.63%
Miami 18 11.18%
Dallas 18 11.18%
Boston 11 6.83%
Detroit 5 3.11%
San Diego 3 1.86%
Other 20 12.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 03:24 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,900,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer78 View Post

Driving ineptitude? There are bad drivers all over the country. Chicago is nothing special in that regard. People complain the same about Phoenix, Orlando, NYC..etc. I am more talking about time spent in traffic, not people's driving skills. But on that note, NYC's drivers are far more aggressive, particularly in Manhattan.

No. It is special and it has nothing to do with being aggressive. I used to drive a cab in New York, I am not sure if I even know how to drive in a non-agressive way. I am talking about Chicago drivers who are constantly on the phone, do not use blinkers to signal turns and lane changes and do not follow a general rule of "keep up with the traffic". Bad Chicago drivers further clog the roads and highways while Chicago police does nothing to enforce the laws and control the flow. Driving in Chicago is a nightmare and I observe a big change once you get away about 100 miles from the city: both the folks in Wisconsin and Ohio have better driving skills than most Chicagoans. Another thing that affects driving in Chicago is the terrible state of most streets and highways: I have never seen so many huge potholes. City simply can't and is not willing to keep up with fixing them. Again, based on my experience I'll take New York traffic over Chicago's any time of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 04:09 PM

275 posts, read 541,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
No. It is special and it has nothing to do with being aggressive. I used to drive a cab in New York, I am not sure if I even know how to drive in a non-agressive way. I am talking about Chicago drivers who are constantly on the phone, do not use blinkers to signal turns and lane changes and do not follow a general rule of "keep up with the traffic". Bad Chicago drivers further clog the roads and highways while Chicago police does nothing to enforce the laws and control the flow. Driving in Chicago is a nightmare and I observe a big change once you get away about 100 miles from the city: both the folks in Wisconsin and Ohio have better driving skills than most Chicagoans. Another thing that affects driving in Chicago is the terrible state of most streets and highways: I have never seen so many huge potholes. City simply can't and is not willing to keep up with fixing them. Again, based on my experience I'll take New York traffic over Chicago's any time of the day.
I am sorry but every time someone talks about how bad this U.S. city's drivers are or that U.S. city's drivers are, I get the strong urge to tell them to try their hand at driving in a third world country.. then get back to me.

Driving is so orderly here that although some drive too slow or have trouble remembering to flick on their blinkers, the way the laws work here means that things still flow in a relatively organized and safe fashion. There are stupid drivers everywhere, and IMHO, no city in the US can lay claim to having a disproportionately large amount of bad drivers over any other US city, but it really isn't that bad either. I drove plenty in Chicago and I found it to be no different from what I experienced in Orlando, Phoenix, Boston, Miami, NYC or many other locations throughout the country. All those driving problems you mention (and others) are true almost everywhere I went to in the United States.
As for potholes..Being a former cab driver, you should know there's tons of them in Manhattan!

The "bad driving" here is paradise compared to what is found in other nations. The drivers here are actually pretty darn good. I have no complaints in that regard.

Last edited by Lancer78; 04-26-2009 at 04:24 PM..

Old 04-26-2009, 04:20 PM

366 posts, read 1,302,987 times
Traffic in Chicago

by webdesigner247

Traffic in L.A

by videorizing

Traffic in N.Y.C

by ashleybandfieldonline

Traffic in Houston

by mjmcomputers

Hey, we complain about traffic, look at Shanghai.

by Groenkenfylker

Old 04-26-2009, 04:24 PM

4,570 posts, read 6,529,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ()_T View Post
Traffic in Chicago

by webdesigner247

Traffic in L.A

by videorizing

Traffic in N.Y.C

by ashleybandfieldonline

Traffic in Houston

by mjmcomputers

Hey, we complain about traffic, look at Shanghai.

by Groenkenfylker
Shanghai has a population of almost 20 million. I have been there before, and boy, it was even worse than New York City and Tokyo COMBINED (Tokyo traffic was surprisingly smooth). The Shanghai traffic on that video is nothing.

Last edited by nature's message; 04-26-2009 at 04:33 PM..

Old 04-26-2009, 04:31 PM

1,345 posts, read 3,760,836 times
Quote:
The "bad driving" here is paradise compared to what is found in other nations. The drivers here are actually pretty darn good. I have no complaints in that regard.
Dementor is right though. I used to live in Milwaukee and everyone always joked about how bad Illinois(especially Chicago) drivers are. I have driven(well had private drivers) in other countries though. I've been all over China. I was even in a car accident on one of China's freeways. If even the New Yorkers are saying it isn't that bad, then it isn't that bad. They usually need to win at everything so I don't see why they would lie. Also, Manhattan is a small part of NYC. LA, DC, and Chicago have bad traffic EVERYWHERE. DC and Chicago also have a lot of people use public transit(especially DC) so you can't really use that excuse with NYC.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
I am sorry but every time someone talks about how bad this U.S. city's drivers are or that U.S. city's drivers are, I get the strong urge to tell them to try their hand at driving in a third world country.. then get back to me.
Why would you compare the US to the third world? Is being better than third world is a reason to gloat? I can't believe someone can even come up with such a dumb statement...

Quote:
Then you haven't seen much. I suggest you spend some time driving in Europe. By the way, potholes in New York are nothing like potholes in Chicago. I pronounce the stretch of Lawrence Ave in Chicago between Cumberland and Des Plains River Road the worst road in the civilized world.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Shanghai has a population of 16 million. I have been there before, and boy, it was even worse than New York City and Tokyo COMBINED (Tokyo traffic was surprisingly smooth).
Although NYC's traffic is the worst in the United States, It would be inaccurate to say it's the worst in the world. At least, relative to other cities around the planet, we have decent city planning/infrastructure, and mass transportation.

The worst traffic in the world would likely belong to a densely populated city (like NYC) that's growing faster than its infrastructure can support, has poor city planning/development, poor transportation, and is wealthy enough to have many car owners.. Places like Manila, Jakarta, and Bangkok may fit the bill... although Shanghai looks pretty bad here too.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
Dementor is right though. I used to live in Milwaukee and everyone always joked about how bad Illinois(especially Chicago) drivers are. .
That's what I mean. When you drive from Chicago to New York and as soon as you hit Ohio (northern Indiana is as bad as Chicago) you find people using the right lane if they drive slower than others and using blinkers to signal lane changes. It's like night and day. In Chicago the general rule is "I own this road and do not care about anybody else".
It has nothing to do with agressiveness but disregard not only for the laws but common sense. Although the City of Chicago has a ban on cell phone use while driving almost every Chicagoan feels compelled to call someome as soon as they get behind the wheel.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Why would you compare the US to the third world? Is being better than third world is a reason to gloat? I can't believe someone can even come up with such a dumb statement...
No... but it puts into perspective that people over-exaggerate about our drivers being so bad when they are not.

Quote:
Then you haven't seen much. I suggest you spend some time driving in Europe.
I have one better for you. Try driving in latin america.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:46 PM

4,570 posts, read 6,529,830 times
Quote:
Although NYC's traffic is the worst in the United States, It would be inaccurate to say it's the worst in the world. At least, relative to other cities around the planet, we have decent city planning/infrastructure, and mass transportation.

The worst traffic in the world would likely belong to a densely populated city (like NYC) that's growing faster than its infrastructure can support, has poor city planning/development, poor transportation, and is wealthy enough to have many car owners.. Places like Manila, Jakarta, and Bangkok may fit the bill... although Shanghai looks pretty bad here too.
True. I'd also add Mumbai and Dubai to the list. Mexico City is pretty bad too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or