Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 08:26 AM

334 posts, read 1,268,455 times

Advertisements

Why do people on these forums (cough,cough, Dementor, cough, cough, constantlly rag on the Midwest as a boring, unclutured, conservative place with no culture of its own.

The Midwest has some amazing culture centers like the Twin Cities, Madison, Milwaukee, Ann Arbor, St. Louis, Columbus, Kansas City, Cincy, Cleveland, Indy, Bloomington, Larwence, heck even Detroit (and many more) that have just as much culture as the East Cosat.

And try as you might to deny it, the Midwest is home to one the world's great cities every bit as good as Paris, London, and New York in the form and Chicago.

And I still don't get why people think the Midwest is this baston of conservatism. Two of our history's most liberal movements-Populism and Progressivism-had their start in the Midwest. 6 out of the 11 Midwestern States were won by Obama. And what state just permitted Gay Marrage, New York? No. Iowa. Just listen to a John Mellencamp song if you need more evidence of the Midwest's liberalism.

Although I love San Francisco to death and wouldn't trade it for anything, I still miss the Midwest. There's few things finer in life than a Big 10 Saturday, family cookouts, and cornhole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 08:44 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,489,563 times
Well, I agree with Dementor

The midwest is boring with the exception of Chicago

And Mellencamp repulses me

He is a Springsteen knock off

Old 04-25-2009, 08:46 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsGiantsIndiansfan2008 View Post
Why do people on these forums (cough,cough, Dementor, cough, cough, constantlly rag on the Midwest as a boring, unclutured, conservative place with no culture of its own.

The Midwest has some amazing culture centers like the Twin Cities, Madison, Milwaukee, Ann Arbor, St. Louis, Columbus, Kansas City, Cincy, Cleveland, Indy, Bloomington, Larwence, heck even Detroit (and many more) that have just as much culture as the East Cosat.

And try as you might to deny it, the Midwest is home to one the world's great cities every bit as good as Paris, London, and New York in the form and Chicago.

And I still don't get why people think the Midwest is this baston of conservatism. Two of our history's most liberal movements-Populism and Progressivism-had their start in the Midwest. 6 out of the 11 Midwestern States were won by Obama. And what state just permitted Gay Marrage, New York? No. Iowa. Just listen to a John Mellencamp song if you need more evidence of the Midwest's liberalism.

Although I love San Francisco to death and wouldn't trade it for anything, I still miss the Midwest. There's few things finer in life than a Big 10 Saturday, family cookouts, and cornhole.
I had a good laugh.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:03 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,923,182 times
Quote:

Really, who cares what certain people think. It matters not.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:23 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,391,087 times
Quote:

11? Don't you mean 12? The Midwestern states are Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio. The other thing to note is that many of the Midwestern states Obama won were by a very narrow margin. He won 52% of the vote in Ohio, won by a very narrow margin in Indiana, and missed taking Missouri by only a couple thousand votes. That said, he solidly nailed Michigan, Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. So including Indiana and Ohio that's 7 states in the Midwest he took. The Great Plains states, which are much more rural, were decidely conservative. That tends to be what makes the Midwest interesting to me. Generally blue in the urban areas and red in the rural areas.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:30 AM

334 posts, read 1,268,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
I had a good laugh.
y? its true

Old 04-25-2009, 09:32 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,238,625 times
Quote:

Perhaps you are asking the wrong question. Maybe you should be asking why people on this board who have never been in state XYZ, feel that are qualified to attack state XYZ. Its amazing how many "experts" on this board know the whole country like the back of their hands - and where they live NOW is the only decent place!

Old 04-25-2009, 09:41 AM

605 posts, read 1,842,507 times
I like Chicago and hope to move there one day, but honestly it's not comparable to NYC. It's way bigger...But Chicago is still a world class city, just not one of the top ones.
But it can compare to Paris and London, economically because it's GDP was tied with Paris for 4th best in the world and London followed.
And most of the midwest is very liberal...(a negative in my opinion). The real conservative places are the Dakotas, but they aren't very populated.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:51 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,468,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
11? Don't you mean 12? The Midwestern states are Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio. The other thing to note is that many of the Midwestern states Obama won were by a very narrow margin. He won 52% of the vote in Ohio, won by a very narrow margin in Indiana, and missed taking Missouri by only a couple thousand votes. That said, he solidly nailed Michigan, Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. So including Indiana and Ohio that's 7 states in the Midwest he took. The Great Plains states, which are much more rural, were decidely conservative. That tends to be what makes the Midwest interesting to me. Generally blue in the urban areas and red in the rural areas.
It's not just the Midwest that is like that.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:47 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:

I agree...except that Chicago is every bit as good as Paris London and New York... I'd say it fails on all accounts when this is said which is my beef with Chicago "homers" ... great city,yes... nyc london paris? ..negative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City