U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Seattle 36 61.02%
San Diego 25 42.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 11:49 PM

5,370 posts, read 12,978,292 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 06:03 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,071,869 times
This is a tough one. San Diego's weather wins, but I love Seattle (and Vancouver).
At this point in my life, I think Seattle would be a better fit.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:52 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,487,208 times
SD for the weather, lifestyle, Balboa Park, waterfront parks like Mission Bay or Embarcadero Marina parks, bike trails, scenic overlooks like Mt. Soledad, variety of communities like La Jolla, and open air shopping like Horton Plaza or Westfield University Town Center (or Viejas Outlet Center in Alpine).

Old 06-03-2009, 10:04 AM

5,008 posts, read 10,792,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
SD for the weather, lifestyle, Balboa Park, waterfront parks like Mission Bay or Embarcadero Marina parks, bike trails, scenic overlooks like Mt. Soledad, variety of communities like La Jolla, and open air shopping like Horton Plaza or Westfield University Town Center (or Viejas Outlet Center in Alpine).
Sounds a lot like Seattle

At least in the summer. I'll give SD has superior weather. But all the rain here in Seattle provides the moisture to sustain the beautiful forests we have here.

But MAN, look how close the poll is! I have to visit SD one day, any suggestions on when to go and what to do?

Old 06-03-2009, 11:24 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,208,508 times
San Diego definitely has better weather and better natural scenery (that suites my tastes at least), but if you want to compare the actual cities, Seattle is a better city. Better downtown and more cosmopolitan feel. San Diego is a little too laid back for me, but for some, that's a plus.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:25 AM

1,423 posts, read 4,230,845 times
Seattle is winning.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:08 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,487,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Sounds a lot like Seattle

At least in the summer. I'll give SD has superior weather. But all the rain here in Seattle provides the moisture to sustain the beautiful forests we have here.

But MAN, look how close the poll is! I have to visit SD one day, any suggestions on when to go and what to do?
May and June tends to have a lot of darker, cloudy days, so avoid those for the sunny weather. SD has great weather any other time of the year. The must-sees when you go: Balboa Park, the waterfront especially Seaport Village, Horton Plaza and the Gaslamp Quarter, La Jolla, Mt. Soledad (just east of La Jolla), and Mission Bay Park.

You said my description sounds a lot like Seattle. I've never been, but I've been trying to find where Seattle's popular bike trails are, and especially if there are any along any of the area's waterfront, and also if Seattle has any outdoor town centers/power centers around town. Also, are there any TNDs/planned developments in the suburbs, and if so, where?

Old 06-05-2009, 02:53 PM

1,005 posts, read 2,449,713 times
San Diego and Seattle are both great cities.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:57 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,792,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post

You said my description sounds a lot like Seattle. I've never been, but I've been trying to find where Seattle's popular bike trails are, and especially if there are any along any of the area's waterfront, and also if Seattle has any outdoor town centers/power centers around town. Also, are there any TNDs/planned developments in the suburbs, and if so, where?
Thanks for the info! I'll definitely visit sometime, maybe not this year, but eventually

So, to get a feel for bike trails in Seattle, visit this page:

Seattle Department of Transportation: Bike Program

I'm sure you can find AWESOME bike trails along the I-90 bridge (has dedicated pedestrian and bike lanes protected from regular traffic), along Alki, downtown waterfront not so much because it was developed before biking was en vogue, though that doesn't stop some people . Mercer island has ~15 miles of trails on just that island. Green Lake, within the city limits, is awesome. People watching, biking, walking, sports, golf, outdoor workout, rowing, ... yeah ... it's got it all.

And all along during late spring, summer, and early fall, not a cloud in the sky and temperate. We just like to say "SEATTLE SUCKS OMG TOO CLOUDY KILL MYSELF I AM DEPRESSED" to keep the hordes of people who otherwise would live here at bay ;-). Some NYC people I know here say that there's nowhere else they'd be, and that's saying alot, since NYC people tend to be the biggest headded people in the world. Besides Torontonians.

When you say "outdoor town centers" ... what do you mean? Downtown Seattle is outdoor, but if you are looking for a planned development which has a town center that is mall-like, Redmond is the place for you. Redmond has the benefit of having Microsoft nearby to thank for that. Also, Bellevue downtown is very outdoors and walkable. The newer developments to the south are Renton and Kent. Renton's area, though, got hit hard by the bubble and so probably won't be profitable for another few years or so.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:33 PM

5,441 posts, read 8,149,995 times
SD for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City