U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Seattle 36 61.02%
San Diego 25 42.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 09:41 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,629,477 times

Advertisements

You can take a bunch of pictures of San Diego and make it look equally enticing. Plus, they have about 300 days of sunshine a year. Plus, the people of SD live outside. Plus, they are nicknamed "America's Finest City." LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 05:05 PM

27 posts, read 33,509 times
Default SoCal

SD All Day! But Seattle would be awesome if it were just a bit more sunny. I am from SD so there is a slight bias.
Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
Pics of San diego:

North Island Navy Lodge

Shelter Island Pier

Coronado Island Sunset

View of the OB pier from Niagara Ave

Midway in San Diego Harbor (2007-06-19)

5 south near SD downtown

Ocean Beach Pier

Dinghis in front Skyline in back from Harbor Drive

Mission Bay, San Diego CA

Mission Park

San Diego Intnl Airport

Big Surf at Sunset Cliffs

All photos have been Minimized for better quality!!

Old 04-22-2013, 08:13 PM

5,441 posts, read 8,156,563 times
I seem to alternate on these two cities a lot and I think i've settled on my final answer, and that is Seattle. When I think of SD, I don't think of a city, I think of a Zoo & a beach. When i think of Seattle, I think of so much more. Still haven't been to SD, so maybe my opinion is a bit unjustified.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:08 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,102,022 times
I choose San Diego, because of the weather. Seattle seems nice too, wanna visit badly, but I couldn't live there any season except summertime.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:54 AM

443 posts, read 722,689 times
Here's another nice one of Seattle on a sunny day (today, no less):

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...53716985_n.jpg

Old 04-24-2013, 05:04 AM

18,558 posts, read 9,599,486 times
Probably my 2 favorite US cities. I've lived near Seattle for the last 19 years and have grown to love it. I've visited SD on many occasions and have often considered moving there due to a beautiful city, fantastic climate, and low crime. Seattle is the most scenic city in the US and I've stayed for economic reasons of good pay, low taxes, and pleasant people.

The biggest reason I haven't moved to SD is it's a bad financial move for me. According to the Bueau of Labor Statistics, the average wage in SD is 15% less than Seattle. Housing is about 15% higher and state income taxes are another 10% for me. If you want to live in SD, you have to pay that exorbitant climate tax.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:37 AM

176 posts, read 298,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Probably my 2 favorite US cities. I've lived near Seattle for the last 19 years and have grown to love it. I've visited SD on many occasions and have often considered moving there due to a beautiful city, fantastic climate, and low crime. Seattle is the most scenic city in the US and I've stayed for economic reasons of good pay, low taxes, and pleasant people.

The biggest reason I haven't moved to SD is it's a bad financial move for me. According to the Bueau of Labor Statistics, the average wage in SD is 15% less than Seattle. Housing is about 15% higher and state income taxes are another 10% for me. If you want to live in SD, you have to pay that exorbitant climate tax.
Ah, this is very helpful to me as i've been contemplating Seattle vs. more southern west coast cities to launch my career. I will be a college grad soon and although California has gorgeous weather if taxation is much lighter in Seattle and the job climate looks good it'll be off to the PNW i go!

Old 04-24-2013, 11:42 AM

18,558 posts, read 9,599,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_im_sean View Post
Ah, this is very helpful to me as i've been contemplating Seattle vs. more southern west coast cities to launch my career. I will be a college grad soon and although California has gorgeous weather if taxation is much lighter in Seattle and the job climate looks good it'll be off to the PNW i go!
I looked at the BLS.gov site for average pay in Seattle and SD. They have pay broken down by job type so you can make that comparison also. Washington state has no state income tax so that is a big help as your income goes above $100K. Cali is still leading in certain industries and pay reflects that in those industries but unless you're in those industries earning big bucks, it's a pretty tough go.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:56 PM

176 posts, read 298,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I looked at the BLS.gov site for average pay in Seattle and SD. They have pay broken down by job type so you can make that comparison also. Washington state has no state income tax so that is a big help as your income goes above $100K. Cali is still leading in certain industries and pay reflects that in those industries but unless you're in those industries earning big bucks, it's a pretty tough go.
I suppose I'll apply for jobs in the places that interest me most and then depending on the figures i get back (if i even get a job) i will decide. I'd be all for Seattle hands down if it werent for the darn lack of sun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City