U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: LA vs Toronto
Los Angeles 254 56.44%
Toronto 196 43.56%
Voters: 450. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 12:20 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,741,232 times

Advertisements

L.A. is far more "well-known" than Toronto. The U.S. has 10x the population of Canada and a massive global influence, and Hollywood is central to that. Plus it's pretty well known in Mexico as well.

I like Toronto better because I prefer the social cohesion/equality in Canada, has a much larger downtown, more of a core, more transit-oriented and less "suburban" in feeling. But is it more influential than L.A.? No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 03:29 PM

78 posts, read 106,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
L.A. is far more "well-known" than Toronto. The U.S. has 10x the population of Canada and a massive global influence, and Hollywood is central to that. Plus it's pretty well known in Mexico as well.

I like Toronto better because I prefer the social cohesion/equality in Canada, has a much larger downtown, more of a core, more transit-oriented and less "suburban" in feeling. But is it more influential than L.A.? No.
Siiigggghhhhh, ironically......for as powerful and influential the city that LA is.......I don't like living here.

Yes, all of the marks I had said earlier are true of LA and it would make anyone proud to call such a global city their home...... but I would personally like to walk to a local market to buy groceries and on the way pass up some really neat architecture, and also be able to see a bunch of other people out and about walking or riding bikes. Maybe Toronto does offer this....I have never been to Toronto but from what I have heard maybe it has that kind of denser lifestyle.

The part of the LA area I live in is very suburban, most of the LA area is......and while it is nice to walk outside in the bright, warm, and dry afternoon.....I don't see many neat looking buildings....just stucco homes and stucco shopping centers, and there aren't many people who walk.....many just drive to the big box shopping centers. Sigh, LA's monotonous human built environment makes the nice mediterranean climate we have here go to waste. I think so anyways....

Old 08-09-2013, 04:32 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,101,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejm92 View Post
How delusional torontonians are.....like seriously.

1. The fact that the population of LA is 3.82 million (1 million more than Toronto) says something..
It says it is a bigger city - big deal with a smaller DT core and less dense one at that.

Quote:
The L.A. economy is valued at $700 billion (Toronto is valued at $260 Billion). Why is that? Because there are more people and far more valuable enterprises in the city of LA. The GDP of Toronto is less than half that of LA. .
It is a much bigger Urbanized agglomeration - big deal - both cities are in countries with developed economies. In LA's case it is a much bigger economy mainly because it is a MUCH bigger city.. The GDP figures you quote go beyond city proper's (more like CSA vs Metro) - and Toronto's contiguous urbanized area has a 2013 GDP of 323 Billion.

Quote:
About 40% of all containerized goods entering the U.S. pass through L.A., the largest seaport in the Western Hemisphere. Toronto is a small inland port. Even tiny Vancouver has a larger port than Toronto. .
Big deal - LA is on a coast and so is Vancouver. Toronto is not. It makes zero sense for Toronto to be a large seaport its an inland city. Chicago is inland as well so makes less sense for it to compete with LA or Vancouver in this regard - however Chicago and Toronto both have economic areas that are stronger than L.A.. big deal to be expected.

Quote:
L.A. is a world leader in aerospace, clean technology, entertainment, fashion, healthcare and tourism. Toronto does not wield the same influence over these sectors to the level that LA does.

Toronto DOES NOT have the degree of influence or "city brand" power that LA has. It just doesn't. LA is actually a potential rival to NYC because some of the United States' most wealthy individuals and culturally influential figures live in LA. Hollywood is the reason behind it (Toronto's film industry is but a shadow of LA's).

LA is a world city, toronto is not. And that's all there is to it.
Yes LA is bigger than Toronto and yields more influence but it isn't a NYC and Toronto actually holds its own against LA... Both are Alpha world cities - which says something more about Toronto being a much smaller city than L.A... Btw Toronto is a more important Finance Centre, has a larger Stock Exchange and a larger Mass Transit System and Is more ethnically diverse... Toronto can't say the same against NYC in any of these criteria yet it can surpass LA a city with much more people - so i'd say again this says ALOT about Toronto... did I mention Toronto has a much larger DT core - see video below...

BTW what do your points have to do with which is a better city in more than just economy, GDP and celebrities? Do you know anything about the amenities in Toronto or its arts and festivals culture Caribana, Gay Pride, TIFF, Lumimato, Nuit Blance etc.. Probably not..

Toronto Helicopter view - YouTube

Last edited by fusion2; 08-09-2013 at 04:55 PM..

Old 08-09-2013, 04:59 PM

1,634 posts, read 2,195,296 times
LA is too sprawly. I like dense urban cities so Toronto for me. Plus, Toronto is much safer and has a better quality of life.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
LA is too sprawly. I like dense urban cities so Toronto for me. Plus, Toronto is much safer and has a better quality of life.
Yeah I forgot to mention about safety and QOL..

Old 08-09-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Siiigggghhhhh, ironically......for as powerful and influential the city that LA is.......I don't like living here.

Yes, all of the marks I had said earlier are true of LA and it would make anyone proud to call such a global city their home...... but I would personally like to walk to a local market to buy groceries and on the way pass up some really neat architecture, and also be able to see a bunch of other people out and about walking or riding bikes. Maybe Toronto does offer this....I have never been to Toronto but from what I have heard maybe it has that kind of denser lifestyle.

The part of the LA area I live in is very suburban, most of the LA area is......and while it is nice to walk outside in the bright, warm, and dry afternoon.....I don't see many neat looking buildings....just stucco homes and stucco shopping centers, and there aren't many people who walk.....many just drive to the big box shopping centers. Sigh, LA's monotonous human built environment makes the nice mediterranean climate we have here go to waste. I think so anyways....
I think Toronto, Philly, Chicago etc. would offer what you are looking for. Are you thinking of moving out of LA?

Old 08-09-2013, 05:55 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,068,212 times
I can't choose so I will not vote!!! I love both places but for different reasons! Toronto has the walkable, density and public transportation that I love. I hate driving, so I could not live in LA (at least for the time being). Toronto is also much cheaper than LA, safer, friendlier and cleaner. Both cities are diverse, but Toronto even more so. That said, LA gives off a certain vibe that I just love. Maybe it is the natural beauty and nice weather, or the good beaches, things that Toronto can't offer (although the beaches on the Lake are alright). I think I would rather vacation in LA but live in Toronto.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:54 PM

22,003 posts, read 23,548,167 times
I wonder how much creative revamping is in the works for Toronto's waterfront. Any news on taking down that horrid expressway?

Old 08-09-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I wonder how much creative revamping is in the works for Toronto's waterfront. Any news on taking down that horrid expressway?
Waterfront: A lot of things have been constructed, a lot of things are under construction and a lot of things are in the pipeline.

Homepage / Waterfront Toronto

As far the expressway (Gardiner), no plans there at the moment.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
Waterfront: A lot of things have been constructed, a lot of things are under construction and a lot of things are in the pipeline.

Homepage / Waterfront Toronto

As far the expressway (Gardiner), no plans there at the moment.
I can't imagine any sort of big dig project taking place to ditch the Gardner anytime soon.. It is a big eye sore but is the major artery to DT.. The Queens Quay project looks really cool actually.. I'm wondering what will be done to link it more effectively to the DT core.. Lakeshore and the Gardner are about as big and uninviting roadblock to the place as one can get - yet Torontonians always seem to make it down there to go to the Islands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or