Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Miami or Seattle?
Miami 33 39.76%
Seattle 50 60.24%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 06:47 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Capitol Hill, Ballard, Belltown, Queen Anne, West Seattle, the U District and other hoods pretty much balance out not having a Miami Beach. Add in a thriving and extremely vibrant Downtown, practically zero ghetto areas and there really is no comparison.
What does that have to do with anything? Ghetto is anti-urban now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 07:02 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
What does that have to do with anything? Ghetto is anti-urban now?
No. It simply means it's actually safe to wander around and walk in neighborhoods adjacent to Downtown Seattle.

Anyone familiar with Miami knows that isn't the case there (with the exception of Brickell).

I don't think there are very many one bedroom apartments in Calle Ocho going for $1,600 a month.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:04 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
Quote:
No. It simply means it's actually safe to wander around and walk in neighborhoods adjacent to Downtown Seattle.

Anyone familiar with Miami knows that isn't the case there.

I don't think there are very many one bedroom apartments in Calle Ocho going for $1,600 a month.
I've walked around plenty of ghettos without experiencing so much as a heated argument. Either way, the topic of this thread is not "which is safer to walk around?", so I'll answer my question for you. The amount of ghettos has nothing to do with this.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:11 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
I've walked around plenty of ghettos without experiencing so much as a heated argument. Either way, the topic of this thread is not "which is safer to walk around?", so I'll answer my question for you. The amount of ghettos has nothing to do with this.
Cool. The poll and most of the posts in this thread speak to reality, however.

It's not even close, despite Miami's highrise boom. Seattle would NEVER allow blocks of 50 story condo's with vacant lots immediately behind them like you see on North Biscayne. It is urban, lively, safe and cohesive. Miami will be one day hopefully, but as of now it's several levels below Seattle when it comes to this.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:45 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Miami has its fair share of walkable neighborhoods as well. Not the wall to wall urban build of Seattle core neighborhoods. But the core neighborhoods of Miami, while disjointed, do pack a punch. Yes they also contain cultural amenities like the Seattle neighborhoods. Little Havana, Wynwood, Design District.
I was looking around that Wynwood neighborhood on Street view and that is a rad neighborhood. Almost every building seemed to have a mural on it. I'm assuming it is a bit like LA's Arts District and is a repurposed light-industrial neighborhood? (although Wynwood looks much more civilized than our Arts District).

I voted Miami but I think this is a super-close race and maybe one of the more interesting comparisons I can remember.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:43 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Quote:
Cool. The poll and most of the posts in this thread speak to reality, however.

It's not even close, despite Miami's highrise boom. Seattle would NEVER allow blocks of 50 story condo's with vacant lots immediately behind them like you see on North Biscayne. It is urban, lively, safe and cohesive. Miami will be one day hopefully, but as of now it's several levels below Seattle when it comes to this.
Miami is several levels below Seattle when it comes to vibrancy and urbanization? Exaggeration much. Contrary to what you said, Brickell isn't the only safe walkable neighborhood in Miami. Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, Design District, Coral Way, and Midtown are other areas of safety and pedestrian friendly. Not only that, but Little Havana isn't the old barrio that it once was. Calle Ocho has been transformed into a vibrant, hip, tourist corridor, with lively businesses such as art galleries, theaters, and 24/7 Cuban Coffee joints. The North Biscayne corridor is hip and vibrant, and it continues to pick up in vibrancy as the vacant lots get filled out.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:54 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I was looking around that Wynwood neighborhood on Street view and that is a rad neighborhood. Almost every building seemed to have a mural on it. I'm assuming it is a bit like LA's Arts District and is a repurposed light-industrial neighborhood? (although Wynwood looks much more civilized than our Arts District).

I voted Miami but I think this is a super-close race and maybe one of the more interesting comparisons I can remember.
Yep, that's Wynwood. Pretty much what you described. It's a real hot spot. Especially around Art Basel time. Wynwood was(and in many ways still is) a Puerto Rican barrio. It's been gentrified, and many Puerto Ricans still take residence there. Plenty of industrial space in that neighborhood has been converted into art galleries.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:55 AM

3 posts, read 6,834 times
Miami, I grew up in Miami, been in Seattle for 5 years and love it, but Miami is better. The people in Seattle are great, the scenery is fantastic, the drivers and traffic are terrible. In Miami I find that I have more to do, beaches are much better, food is better. Cost of living slightly higher in Seattle but the quality of life is very nice, more health oriented than what I had in South Fl. I used to attend Heat and Panthers games in Miami (or Sunrise) in Seattle there's no NBA team nor NHL, but they have MLS and it's easy to become a fan of the Sounders. I don't miss the humidity and bugs of South FL and I really enjoy Bar-B-Quing nearly year round in Seattle without sweating or being attacked by mosquitoes (at least not where I live). I never had any crime issues in Miami, in Seattle one of my cars was vandalized and another car was hit while parked in front of my home, nobody left a note.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:17 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
yes... Miami is very clean, friendly and upscale...LOL

only people who talk about it that way are in the real estate industry whether they admit it or not

Welcome to south florida.. enjoy your culture
what's wrong with this?

Old 01-01-2015, 05:28 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Is Miami really as walkable and public transit-centric as Seattle? With a similarly robust urban core in terms of economy and culture?
Miami definitely has higher density neighborhoods. Seattle is more pedestrian friendly, and probably has the larger, busier downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City