U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 09:11 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,966,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTalk View Post
Probably culturally, climate, demographics, topography, etc.

Yes, Upper New England is different from Lower.

I don't know why all these people view them as one.
Upstate NY is different than downstate.
Interior California is different than costal California.
Eastern Washington and Oregon are different than their costal counterparts.
Northern Illinois is different than southern Illinois.
Northern Florida is different than southern Florida.

I could go on. The point is that a region doesn't need to be culturally uniform to be viewed as a region. Furthermore, I personally think there are more similarities between Northern and Southern New England than between a few of the different regions I named above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 11:41 AM

74 posts, read 40,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Upstate NY is different than downstate.
Interior California is different than costal California.
Eastern Washington and Oregon are different than their costal counterparts.
Northern Illinois is different than southern Illinois.
Northern Florida is different than southern Florida.

I could go on. The point is that a region doesn't need to be culturally uniform to be viewed as a region. Furthermore, I personally think there are more similarities between Northern and Southern New England than between a few of the different regions I named above.

And amirite's point was that most people don't know of the differences.

I think a lot of people believe that Boston is at the foothills of the White Mountains, Vermont is down the street, and fall foliage is 24/7.

They're all pretty different states for their own reasons. Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine are all much more sparsely populated, and topographically rugged.

Connecticut is basically the New England version of New Jersey (rich suburbs, crime/neglected cities), Rhode Island is a small coast and Massachusetts is Boston and coastline. Boston is 90% of the reason to visit MA. Who goes to Springfield? Worcester? Western Mass is hippie farmland.

The upper three are more topographically pleasing. The bottom three are more culturally pleasing.

It should all be one state. It's 2016, not 1616. Things change.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:52 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,966,692 times
Quote:
It should all be one state. It's 2016, not 1616. Things change.
I don't think anyone in any of the New England states wants this. What would be the benefit?

Old 11-15-2016, 12:07 PM

30,635 posts, read 49,287,779 times
Even in Maine there is a huge difference between the 1% of the state that is urban vs. the 99% that is rural. Portland tries to fly a bill every few years, to divide Portland from Maine.

It is already divided as a separate Congressional District that always votes the opposite from how Maine votes.

They have a vastely different tax-base, different Cost-Of-Living, different everything.

Old 11-18-2016, 03:00 PM

571 posts, read 563,623 times
Pac NW all da wayyy

Old 11-18-2016, 03:29 PM

1,199 posts, read 680,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Topography, climate, population density, demographics, culture, infrastructure, etc.
True mostly, but for culture at least, even then it can vary just inside the state itself. For instance, SW CT is very different from eastern CT. Eastern CT is more what people think of when they think New England and those small cozy towns. SW CT is basically a suburb of NYC. I grew up in the centralish/eastern part of the state and I would very much consider it New England that people think of ...stone walls, covered bridges, mom and pop shops etc. Of course I no longer live there and it's been forever since I been back so maybe it's all changed who knows.

Old 11-18-2016, 03:41 PM

1,199 posts, read 680,880 times
Quote:
Who goes to Springfield? Worcester?
People do? Worcester is the 2nd largest city in New England followed by Providence and Springfield. P.S let's not debate whether Providence is bigger due to density lol. I'm not saying they are great world class cities like Boston but people do go there. My fiance actually had job training in Springfield years ago. Also one time I made a pit stop in Worcester to grab some stuff from Target but yeah that's about it haha.

Anyway, as for the question. I grew in New England and now live in the PNW and I love both for different reasons. I love the small charming towns in New England and the historical significance associated in the region while I love the natural beauty here in the PNW. The summers here are also pretty much as perfect as anyone could ask for IMO and the winters are pretty mild in terms of temps. Having said that I think it depends on the person whether they will like either region. New England has hot humid summers and cold snowy winters. PNW has amazing (70's/80's little humidity) summers and mild wet winters. New England has Boston while PNW has Seattle and Portland. New England is denser and smaller while PNW is more spread out e.g. more driving to get places. Also the traffic here is pretty rough in a lot of places. New England has swimmable beaches while PNW eh not so much though people do swim here but not to the degree in New England. The water here is colder and the coast is a lot more windier and colder so it's just not as ideal. If you are into outdoors then PNW wins hands down. Also the coffee here is leagues better In terms of cost of living outside of the costly metros here it's cheaper here than New England. I was shocked at how low my electric bill was here. Also you save a lot not having to have an AC here during summer as well. I couldn't live without AC back there.

Last edited by fluffydelusions; 11-18-2016 at 04:18 PM..

Old 11-18-2016, 03:57 PM

6,617 posts, read 8,273,559 times
Can only speak for myself but Pacific Northwest by far.

Look, honestly, I'm generally not really big on "states" and "regions" and could care less about them (I'm 100% all about metropolises) but this is one of the very few times that I do happen to "like" one of either states or regions being compared. So I'll go with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City