Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is overall better?
U.S. west coast 198 49.38%
U.S. east coast 203 50.62%
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 05:51 AM

19,517 posts, read 9,537,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
So you've never actually been out to the West coast.
splitting hairs:
West Coast: Definition from Answers.com
The "West Coast", "Western Seaboard", or "Pacific Coastline" are terms for the westernmost coastal states of the United States. It most often comprises California, Oregon and Washington. Arizona and Nevada, while not coastal states, are often included[citation needed] due to their proximity to the Pacific Coast and their economic and cultural ties to California (such as Arizona's two largest universities which are members of the Pacific-10 Conference).
Although not part of the contiguous United States, Alaska and Hawaii do border the Pacific Ocean and could be included in the "West Coast".

Old 09-03-2009, 09:25 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
splitting hairs:
West Coast: Definition from Answers.com
The "West Coast", "Western Seaboard", or "Pacific Coastline" are terms for the westernmost coastal states of the United States. It most often comprises California, Oregon and Washington. Arizona and Nevada, while not coastal states, are often included[citation needed] due to their proximity to the Pacific Coast and their economic and cultural ties to California (such as Arizona's two largest universities which are members of the Pacific-10 Conference).
Although not part of the contiguous United States, Alaska and Hawaii do border the Pacific Ocean and could be included in the "West Coast".
well he does have a point, you haven't... yeah you might have some california culture in vegas, but how could you pinpoint it if you have never been to california...
Here is an example, do you consider Chicago east coast? I don't think anybody with novice knowledge of the United States would...
Yet DePaul in smack middle of Chicago is the Big East, so is Marquette ..in WISCONSIN, and Notre Dame, in INDIANA

but then they are matched with UConn, Syracuse, Rutgers...

Arizona imho shares perty much no resemblence to what I consider the west coast...it is desert south west, nothing else.
Las Vegas and Phoenix have cali transplants and visitors, nothing else.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:15 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,560,533 times
I lived in both and like neither. I got smart and returned to the center of the country in the Midwest where people are more "real", the pace of life is slower but high quality, great place to raise the family, Chicago is an awsome city, and am not bothered by the lack of mountains or hills.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:40 AM

14 posts, read 10,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
I lived in both and like neither. I got smart and returned to the center of the country in the Midwest where people are more "real", the pace of life is slower but high quality, great place to raise the family, Chicago is an awsome city, and am not bothered by the lack of mountains or hills.

yea Chic is ok ...

the slower pace would be hard to get used to..and not having the ocean..and all the snow and then humidity in summer...too hard to adjust

Old 09-03-2009, 12:39 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,112,557 times
The right coast for me.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:44 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,721,763 times
West Coast better than than the EC???? hahaha...What does "Out West" have that "Back East" doesn't besides tsunamis, out of control fires, earthquakes, smog, active volcanoes, and Death Valley? you can drive straight for an entire day and never leave the "state" of California. Real states only take 1-3 hours to drive through. The way I see it:

NYC>LA; DC>San Fran.; Boston>Seattle
AFC East>AFC West; NFC East>NFC West; Terps>Golden Bears(for every sport); ACC/BigEast>PAC10
EST>PST
Appalachia>Cascades
BosWash>Sacramento/San Diego
Atlantic>Pacific
Ivy League>uhh...Stanford

The preceding are all proven facts.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:47 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
West Coast better than than the EC???? hahaha...What does "Out West" have that "Back East" doesn't besides tsunamis, out of control fires, earthquakes, smog, active volcanoes, and Death Valley? The way I see it:

NYC>LA; DC>San Fran.; Boston>Seattle
AFC East>AFC West; NFC East>NFC West; Terps>Golden Bears(for every sport); ACC/BigEast>PAC10
EST>PST
Appalachia>Cascades
BosWash>Sacramento/San Diego
Atlantic>Pacific
Ivy League>uhh...Stanford

The preceding are all proven facts.
Looks like someone needs a visit from Dr. Hugglesworth. C'mere!

Old 09-03-2009, 01:58 PM

250 posts, read 246,353 times
Quote:
you can drive straight for an entire day and never leave the "state" of California. Real states only take 1-3 hours to drive through. The
lol@ all the puny states on the east coast... rhode island... delaware.. new jersey.. "new hampshire"
california >

Old 09-03-2009, 02:01 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
What does "Out West" have that "Back East" doesn't .
less arrogant, obnoxious, and aggressive east coast type people.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:13 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,565,972 times
East by far!

East Coast great place to live/be from West great place to visit. Taking 9 hours to drive through one state is actually kind of boring/country to me. The West Coast only has 3 states to begin with, those small eastern states aren't puny and were divided into the colonies that there are for a reason. The Bos-Wash corridor alone crushes the entire west, based on history and importance by itself. Then lets not discount that the coast goes all the way to Florida the gateway to Latin America. Location is the primary reason the East is better, Miami is 90 miles from Cuba, you can fly from NY to London in less than 6 hours arguably the 2 most important cities in the world. The nation's capitol is a 30 min flight and short train ride from NYC with multiple MAJOR cities in between. I could go on and on...Dont give me the West having taller mountains closer by as the reason to why its a better coast either, most people i know could care less about rock climbing lol.

Last edited by the resident09; 09-03-2009 at 02:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City