U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is overall better?
U.S. west coast 198 49.38%
U.S. east coast 203 50.62%
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 03:20 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,757,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The water in Southern CA is warm enough to swim w/o a wetsuit during summer, from about June though early Oct.
I guess it depends on the person. I've been to Santa Monica and Venice beach in February and I stuck my foot in the water and I didn't think the water was cold but I know somebody that moved from Houston to LA and he said he doesn't like the beach in LA because the water is f***ing cold. These were his exact words. So I guess it depends on the person somewhat.

Also there is a big difference between sticking your foot in the water and jumping into the water and swimming.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:04 PM

2,602 posts, read 4,321,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
I think its so funny how some East Coasters will talk all this trash about people in the West being "wimpy" b/c of us having moderate, comfortable weather, but suddenly when we're talking about beaches and ocean temps our coastline is too rugged and our water is "oooh too cold!" for them. Talk about wimpy! Gimme a break lol.

I'd respect you guys more if you'd just openly declare that you'll choose the East Coast in every arena just because you're homers and can't look at things objectively. At least be real about it. I'd still think those of you that do this are a bunch of retards, as I do now, but at least I'd be able to slightly respect your consistent double-standards. Man some of you guys are so full of crap its insane lol.
I have yet to read any east coaster's posts that can come anywhere near the arrogance and stupidity of your posts.
I promise you we are lol-ing as well.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:27 PM

2,958 posts, read 5,666,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
I have yet to read any east coaster's posts that can come anywhere near the arrogance and stupidity of your posts.
I promise you we are lol-ing as well.
Oh ho ho ho reaaaaaallly?? Well let me help you out with a few aside from the ones I've already just responded to here (since somehow you didn't find any of that arrogant or stupid - that fact speaks volumes about you btw):

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugger View Post
Better food on the East Coast: New York Pizza, New York hotdogs, New York deli , New York chessecake.

Nothing is bigger or better than New York!!!!

West Coast Cities can't compare with East Coast cities!!!!

TIMES SQUARE NEW YEARS EVE!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
The West is winning?Now I know not to take these boards seriously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
West Coast better than than the EC???? hahaha...What does "Out West" have that "Back East" doesn't besides tsunamis, out of control fires, earthquakes, smog, active volcanoes, and Death Valley? you can drive straight for an entire day and never leave the "state" of California. Real states only take 1-3 hours to drive through. The way I see it:

NYC>LA; DC>San Fran.; Boston>Seattle
AFC East>AFC West; NFC East>NFC West; Terps>Golden Bears(for every sport); ACC/BigEast>PAC10
EST>PST
Appalachia>Cascades
BosWash>Sacramento/San Diego
Atlantic>Pacific
Ivy League>uhh...Stanford

The preceding are all proven facts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Are people still arguing for the West Coast? Somebody must have hacked the polling since there's no way that "Out West" should have so many votes.

Here's something for the West Coasters to chew on: We have Washington DC...the White House. How does that stack up to the capital of the East Coast...um, Sacramento lol? btw How far does California history go back? 1982? lol

It also doesn't take us a day and a half to drive or take the train between cities (in the NE anyway), DC->Balty->Wilmington->Philly->Trenton/Newark/Jersey City/Camden/Elizabeth/Trenton->NYC->Stamford/Bridgeport/New Haven/Hartford/Springfield(MA)->Providence->Boston->Manchester are only seperated by an hour or less. End of discussion we win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
East Coast, nowhere else can compare!
No, you're right. Nothing stupid or arrogant about all that.

Is it tough walking through life with blinders on? Does you run into things and hit your head very often? I didn't even have to go to any trouble to find these. Comments like these all over the place throughout this forum. If you don't find these to be arrogant and/or stupid, and more so than what I wrote in response to this mentality, then you've got issues.

The only ones that should be lol-ing at anything I said are the many that my comments do not apply to b/c they know I'm not talking about them. And let it be known there are MANY East Coasters who my comments do not at all apply to. My comments are directed strictly at the loudmouthed, tough-talking tools who fit my descriptions. Anyone from over in your side who isn't like that I've got nothing but love for.

The only people who should be taking any offense to what I say are the dummies I've described. So if anyone reacts negatively to what I've said then I must have hit a nerve by telling it the way it is. In which case I've hit the correct target(s).

Look, there are even plenty of East Coasters here on CD that can think objectively and recognize this to be true. Here's one from earlier in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by western_mass View Post
What is sad is east coasters here automatically think something is "wrong" when the west is winning a poll but never the other way around...

see...im an easterner..but i am not provincial like most

if they really visited the West and California in general...they would realize how backwards and "old" everything here is and how much better it is out west like i did when i visited
So I'm not talking about ALL East Coasters on here. I'm just talking about the d-bags.

And just fyi in case you're thinking my comment above was directed at you b/c of the cold water comment you made, it absolutely wasn't. It was just that reading it prompted my commentary. What you said I didn't take any offense to, so don't think I meant what I said in that post as an attack. I would have quoted you and said so if that's what I had meant to do.

I just keep reading comments like this one on various threads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
my CONNECTICUT kids work all summer long in the sun, 85 - 90 F heat, and high humidity (not a wimpy dry, 72 F day like in Cali) five days a week on two different farms! Let’s see some Cail wimp do that!
And then I continue to come across comments about how our water is too cold and unbearable and our coastline is a bunch of craggy mountains. So which is it? Are we soft b/c we have moderate, livable weather, or are crazy for living here b/c our water is inhumanely cold and dangerous and our beach terrain too rough?

Everyone's a freakin critic, and I tire of reading opinions that constantly have us being crapped on at both ends of the spectrum. It doesn't ruin my day or anything, but it gets annoying after reading so many comments coming from people from the exact same region criticizing what we have out here for issues that contradict each other. So I spoke on it. If you're still salty then that's all good, but I just thought I'd explain myself in case you were taking me the wrong way.

PS - Speaking on the CA vs. East Coast beaches I've been to, Baker Beach in SF, Santa Cruz, Capitola and Half Moon Bay beaches are all >>>>>>>> VA Beach. And by a long shot. VA Beach's strip is cool, but the beaches themselves do not compare to what I'm used to here in CA.

Oh and when I say "East Coast" or "East Coasters," I'm talking about the NE. 90% of the time I'm talking about the area between VA and NY, and to a much lesser degree New England. Most posters from there, even if they are homers, keep things positive and don't seem to feel as much of the need to talk down.

And the South I consider a separate entity entirely. They don't seem to suffer from that need either and rarely talk any trash about us when comparisons are made between our two regions, and we generally get along pretty well. I don't understand why certain NE people feel the need to do that so much. I think its super lame.

Last edited by jman650; 09-11-2009 at 08:08 PM..

Old 09-11-2009, 08:40 PM
rah

3,315 posts, read 8,125,727 times
^Haha i've noticed that attitude too. It's pretty obvious coming from several of the Northeast posters. Honestly I think some people just can't handle that they live in the largest urban agglomeration in the US...yet they're outclassed in certain things by other areas. It's like they can't take the blow to their ego, they HAVE to be the best...but they don't even try to be "the best" often, it's like they're complacent, thinking "oh I'm from NYC so I automatically AM the best, i don't gotta worry."

The same "look down on the west" attitude is relatively common in the hip-hop scene too it seems, over there...and it sucks because for the most part we always show love to anyone, as long as they're skilled, and down to earth (or skilled enough to brag like hell and get away with it...you can't deny real skill even if someone's really cocky). There's no reason to hate on a region, just "becuase."

And what you said about that dance show is true too. I've been to a lot of breakdancing competitions and crews from the west seem to consistently come out on top or at least in the final running...in my opinion it might have something to do with knowing we get overlooked on this side of the country, and so we're not afraid to innovate, and put our all into what we do. We already KNOW that no one is going to take bragging seriously from us...we're used to getting talked down to. So we just let our actions talk instead. Maybe it's just that laid back west coast vibe too...who knows. Oh and can't forget that Filipinos have taken over b-boying, and they all live over here on the west coast. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

I saw the Jabberwockies in San Diego before they were on that show and won, and became all world famous. They were really good, but honestly we have tons of skill like that over here.

I also find it funny when people claim we have mild weather, then they visit and complain nonstop about the fog, while I'm in a T-Shirt...lol. And I've swam in the bay and the pacific ocean in ~50 degree water...now that was cold, but it wasn't that bad, and I survived to tell the tale. I've also swam in equally cold water in Maine. My favorite beach to this day remains one in Rhode Island though, due to sentimental value, and the fact that the water temperature is very pleasant in the summer, and there are no homicidal tides waiting to suck you out. I did get severed jellyfish tentacles stuck in my swim suit once though

Old 09-11-2009, 08:55 PM

If you let the East Coast critics tell it, based on what I've read on here in the recent past, the West Coast (primarily read CA) is:

-full of soft, snobby, airheaded nutjobs
-packed with abominable "new money" yet overrun with weirdos
-a communist state with nothing but extreme liberal views
-we're no longer progressive b/c of Prop 8
-there are no "real" people here like in the "East Coast" (where tact is an afterthought) and people out here never are upfront and say things to your face (I know this description fits me to a TEE! SMH)
-we have an 80% unemployment rate
-our weather is boring and 80 degrees 365 days out of the year, statewide, yet SF is too cold for many of these critics (go figure)
-our cities aren't dangerous at all and we have no ghettos yet our crime is too high and our population is doubled by all the illegals here
-we're completely disaster prone and CA will separate from the continental US as the result of a major earthquake anytime now, assuming we don't completely burn to the ground from all our wildfires first or drown in a tsunami according to some (who seem to relish this idea - jerkoffs)
-all of our cities are second-rate at best and could never even DREAM of competing with the esteemed US royalty that is the almighty East Coast (LMFAO)
-our sports teams all suck balls and are nothing compared to the teams in the East (b/c 8 Superbowls between 2 teams in CA is somehow inferior to 8 between 4 teams in NY/NJ and DC/Baltimore, and the Lakers, Dodgers, A's, Angels, USC, etc. haven't won any type of championships. Neither have Venus or Serena Williams....okay I'll just stop here)
-our higher education is echelons below what is offered in the East Coast, and in (the many) instances when it does outshine Eastern schools, then abundance of schools is what matters more
-our beaches suck and have ugly sand, brutal terrain, 30 degree weather with water that's 50 below, frequent shark attacks, an undertow that makes swimming in our waters completely life-threatening, and our waters are polluted, while their East Coast counterparts are pristine paradises with warm water year round and nothing but happy people and the best of everything, with unicorns and ponies galloping in the meadows that overlook them
-there is NOTHING the West Coast has in terms of natural beauty that the East Coast can't rival or outdo it in
-CA's economy is not completely vital to the strength it provides the US
-LA has nothing more to offer than Hollywood, and SF has a few cool hills but is nothing more than a provincial little town full of elitist snobs
-our food sucks and everything we have that is decent in this state can be found in NYC
-there is too much more for me to even bother trying to list so I'll just stop here

And to this I quote my homeboys from Westside Connection in saying F**k all the critics:

YouTube - Westside Connection - All The Critics In New York

Except I'd amend that to say "East Coast" or NE since these critics seem to be evenly distributed all throughout that area.

Don't get me wrong though, I've got plenty of love for the East Coast/NE. My girlfriend of 9 years is from VA and one of my best friends has lived in NYC for the past 13 years. And aside from them I have or have had friends in VA, DC, NJ, NY, CT and MA. And I love going over there, so I've obviously got love for the region. I just don't care for the attitude of some of the haters from over there and the contradictory nature they display. The critics are the ones I can't stand. And here on CD and all over the TV and internet, as well as a good amount of the transplants that come over here, I find entirely too many of this type. The hyperbole they use to describe the way things out here are just gets out of hand.

Last edited by jman650; 09-11-2009 at 09:06 PM..

Old 09-11-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
^Haha i've noticed that attitude too. It's pretty obvious coming from several of the Northeast posters. Honestly I think some people just can't handle that they live in the largest urban agglomeration in the US...yet they're outclassed in certain things by other areas. It's like they can't take the blow to their ego, they HAVE to be the best...but they don't even try to be "the best" often, it's like they're complacent, thinking "oh I'm from NYC so I automatically AM the best, i don't gotta worry."

The same "look down on the west" attitude is relatively common in the hip-hop scene too it seems, over there...and it sucks because for the most part we always show love to anyone, as long as they're skilled, and down to earth (or skilled enough to brag like hell and get away with it...you can't deny real skill even if someone's really cocky). There's no reason to hate on a region, just "becuase."

And what you said about that dance show is true too. I've been to a lot of breakdancing competitions and crews from the west seem to consistently come out on top or at least in the final running...in my opinion it might have something to do with knowing we get overlooked on this side of the country, and so we're not afraid to innovate, and put our all into what we do. We already KNOW that no one is going to take bragging seriously from us...we're used to getting talked down to. So we just let our actions talk instead. Maybe it's just that laid back west coast vibe too...who knows.
You hit it on the knob with all of this. I fully agree. Well-stated.

Wish I could rep ya here but you already know the deal!

Quote:
Oh and can't forget that Filipinos have taken over b-boying, and they all live over here on the west coast. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

I saw the Jabberwockies in San Diego before they were on that show and won, and became all world famous. They were really good, but honestly we have tons of skill like that over here.
Haha yeah its about time Filipinos got some recognition for their abilities. I've been seeing so many bada$$ Asian dance crews since I was in high school that never were really known to the public. I hadn't seen any of it in years until I was flipping the channels and actually Kaba Modern caught my eye. And then of course Jabba and the others that came later. Filipinos have been in every group that has won on that show so far! So they should at least finally be known for something that they've always been good at IMO.

When I saw Jabba I actually started comparing them to Mindtricks (don't know if you've heard of them) because their style kind of reminded me of them. Then I did a little reading and found out that like either 3 or 5 of their members were originally from Mindtricks, including that dude Gary who died. But generally the best of what I've seen on that show isn't beyond - or in several cases even as good - as what I used to see at talent shows/clubs/raves out here. There's plenty more where they came from. Although I do think that Jabba is definitely top notch.

Quote:
I also find it funny when people claim we have mild weather, then they visit and complain nonstop about the fog, while I'm in a T-Shirt...lol. And I've swam in the bay and the pacific ocean in ~50 degree water...now that was cold, but it wasn't that bad, and I survived to tell the tale.
Hahaha I hella feel you on that T-shirt thing lol. People always ask me how I'm doing that in our weather. I think its a state of mind more than anything. Most of the time our fog isn't all that cold IMO, it just seems that way sometimes because it looks all cold and mysterious. I think San Bruno gets colder from winds coming off the Bay than most of DC and SF. Pac Bell Park gets really cold too. And Twin Peaks can get be freezing if you're only in a T-shirt. But I can still manage in these places in just a T-shirt and jeans most of the time. I do often keep a jacket with me, but I only end up using it once in a while. I get too hot otherwise lol. I actually like a little bit of cooler weather.

When I was in NYC in March, friends we were visiting kept asking us if we were cold and making a fuss about the cold there. It was maybe like 5 degrees colder than it had been here at that point, so I was fine in a T-shirt, a hoodie and a beanie, just like I had been here before I left. They were the ones that kept saying, "aren't you guys cold?" After a while we just laughed.

And I've swam in the Bay and the Pacific too, and I grew up doing so. You don't need a wetsuit in the late Spring, Summer, or Indian Summer, which accounts for May (sometimes April) to October. I've never even put on a wetsuit in my life. I haven't swam in the ocean or Bay since I was at least in high school, but I never even considered wearing a wetsuit. Maybe for surfing by Pacifica Pier or Fort Point or something, but not for anything I've ever done.

In late Spring I'd go to the little beach at Coyote Point all the time in the after noon and swim in that water, and throughout the Summer I'd go to Half Moon Bay and Santa Cruz/Capitola every year and play in the water. No one at the beaches I was at was wearing a wetsuit that I can recall. And it felt great to get in that water to cool off from the warm weather. I have no idea where these critics are getting this from. And I would think in SoCal the water would be even warmer, but according to some people on here it gets to be like 59 degrees (I read this earlier) when you go a few feet below the surface of the water when its 70 on the surface lol. Whatever.

Quote:
I've also swam in equally cold water in Maine. My favorite beach to this day remains one in Rhode Island though, due to sentimental value, and the fact that the water temperature is very pleasant in the summer, and there are no homicidal tides waiting to suck you out. I did get severed jellyfish tentacles stuck in my swim suit once though
Wow, so our coast isn't the only side that has beaches with dangerous creatures in them?? And their water actually gets cold at some point?? Interesting. Lol.

I'd actually like to check out some of the beaches over in that region. VA Beach has nice beaches, but they don't compare to ours IMO. I do like the lack of undertow out there though. That's why I've never swam at Ocean Beach - I've only gone there to chill or for bonfires.

Man good thing that jellyfish incident wasn't worse lol! That's one thing I'd hate to come across in the water.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
If you let the East Coast critics tell it, based on what I've read on here in the recent past, the West Coast (primarily read CA) is:

-full of soft, snobby, airheaded nutjobs
-packed with abominable "new money" yet overrun with weirdos
-a communist state with nothing but extreme liberal views
-we're no longer progressive b/c of Prop 8
-there are no "real" people here like in the "East Coast" (where tact is an afterthought) and people out here never are upfront and say things to your face (I know this description fits me to a TEE! SMH)
-we have an 80% unemployment rate
-our weather is boring and 80 degrees 365 days out of the year, statewide, yet SF is too cold for many of these critics (go figure)
-our cities aren't dangerous at all and we have no ghettos yet our crime is too high and our population is doubled by all the illegals here
-we're completely disaster prone and CA will separate from the continental US as the result of a major earthquake anytime now, assuming we don't completely burn to the ground from all our wildfires first or drown in a tsunami according to some (who seem to relish this idea - jerkoffs)
-all of our cities are second-rate at best and could never even DREAM of competing with the esteemed US royalty that is the almighty East Coast (LMFAO)
-our sports teams all suck balls and are nothing compared to the teams in the East (b/c 8 Superbowls between 2 teams in CA is somehow inferior to 8 between 4 teams in NY/NJ and DC/Baltimore, and the Lakers, Dodgers, A's, Angels, USC, etc. haven't won any type of championships. Neither have Venus or Serena Williams....okay I'll just stop here)
-our higher education is echelons below what is offered in the East Coast, and in (the many) instances when it does outshine Eastern schools, then abundance of schools is what matters more
-our beaches suck and have ugly sand, brutal terrain, 30 degree weather with water that's 50 below, frequent shark attacks, an undertow that makes swimming in our waters completely life-threatening, and our waters are polluted, while their East Coast counterparts are pristine paradises with warm water year round and nothing but happy people and the best of everything, with unicorns and ponies galloping in the meadows that overlook them
-there is NOTHING the West Coast has in terms of natural beauty that the East Coast can't rival or outdo it in
-CA's economy is not completely vital to the strength it provides the US
-LA has nothing more to offer than Hollywood, and SF has a few cool hills but is nothing more than a provincial little town full of elitist snobs
-our food sucks and everything we have that is decent in this state can be found in NYC
-there is too much more for me to even bother trying to list so I'll just stop here

And to this I quote my homeboys from Westside Connection in saying F**k all the critics:

YouTube - Westside Connection - All The Critics In New York

Except I'd amend that to say "East Coast" or NE since these critics seem to be evenly distributed all throughout that area.

Don't get me wrong though, I've got plenty of love for the East Coast/NE. My girlfriend of 9 years is from VA and one of my best friends has lived in NYC for the past 13 years. And aside from them I have or have had friends in VA, DC, NJ, NY, CT and MA. And I love going over there, so I've obviously got love for the region. I just don't care for the attitude of some of the haters from over there and the contradictory nature they display. The critics are the ones I can't stand. And here on CD and all over the TV and internet, as well as a good amount of the transplants that come over here, I find entirely too many of this type. The hyperbole they use to describe the way things out here are just gets out of hand.
You shouldn't get so riled up about all the west coast criticism on this thread. 98% of the people doing this in here are from the tri-state area. People that grew up in the NYC area are really biased about NYC. People that grew up in Texas are really biased about Texas. I used to live in the upper peninsula of MI. The people there think that the UP is God's country. They think that the UP is 10 times better than any place on Earth. They think that NYC is the biggest s***hole that was ever created. The people there hate all big cities NYC being the worst one.

Most of the posters on CD from the NYC area always brag about NYC being the best. There are 24 million people here in Texas that say they're full of s***. Here in Texas they think that when God created the earth first he created Texas and then he created the rest of the world because he had his priorities straight. Texans think that there is no place on earth that even comes remotely close to being as good as Texas. Nobody has more pride in their state than Texans do.

So the point is when I hear all these things in here I always take them with a grain of salt because everybody is biased in favor of where they grew up or where they have lived for a long time. It doesn't mean squat! It's only an opinion and nothing more! Peace.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
You shouldn't get so riled up about all the west coast criticism on this thread. 98% of the people doing this in here are from the tri-state area. People that grew up in the NYC area are really biased about NYC. People that grew up in Texas are really biased about Texas. I used to live in the upper peninsula of MI. The people there think that the UP is God's country. They think that the UP is 10 times better than any place on Earth. They think that NYC is the biggest s***hole that was ever created. The people there hate all big cities NYC being the worst one.

Most of the posters on CD from the NYC area always brag about NYC being the best. There are 24 million people here in Texas that say they're full of s***. Here in Texas they think that when God created the earth first he created Texas and then he created the rest of the world because he had his priorities straight. Texans think that there is no place on earth that even comes remotely close to being as good as Texas. Nobody has more pride in their state than Texans do.

So the point is when I hear all these things in here I always take them with a grain of salt because everybody is biased in favor of where they grew up or where they have lived for a long time. It doesn't mean squat! It's only an opinion and nothing more! Peace.
Hahahaha good post.

Naw, I'm not taking it all that seriously. I just got a mouthpiece on me and don't hesitate to say what's on my mind. I know there's plenty of regional bias (there's plenty coming from my side of things as well), and I expect as much.

But Texans having pride in where they come from doesn't bother me at all b/c they generally don't talk down to everyone else whenever other folks speak highly of their own area. NE residents that do this have a God-complex and their feathers get ruffled if people from elsewhere think that region is anything less than #1 in every single category. So taking pride in your region excelling at anything is no less than blasphemy to some of these folks. And its obnoxious.

So I'm only speaking out against that. It doesn't truly get to me, especially considering I get to vent whatever I think about it on here. But its the repetition of idiotic comments that gets tiresome. That and the contradicting and double-standards and negative comments about every aspect of where I live. I'm used to the criticism (SF and CA take the most criticism, whether good or bad, of anywhere else IMO - everyone's got an opinion one way or another about my city and state). But it gets old after a while, and much of the time credit is not even given where it is due. It provokes response out of me, just like the slightest thing being said about places in the NE provoke responses out of many of them.

But I hear ya! I do take most of it with a grain of salt and consider the sources, which I don't think very highly of in many cases. So if I think someone's a moron, I don't really care what their opinion is. I probably appear on this to care way more than I actually do. I've just got plenty to say and I don't hold back. But don't trip, I'm not taking any of this too seriously.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Hahahaha good post.

Naw, I'm not taking it all that seriously. I just got a mouthpiece on me and don't hesitate to say what's on my mind. I know there's plenty of regional bias (there's plenty coming from my side of things as well), and I expect as much.

But Texans having pride in where they come from doesn't bother me at all b/c they generally don't talk down to everyone else whenever other folks speak highly of their own area. NE residents that do this have a God-complex and their feathers get ruffled if people from elsewhere think that region is anything less than #1 in every single category. So taking pride in your region excelling at anything is no less than blasphemy to some of these folks. And its obnoxious.

So I'm only speaking out against that. It doesn't truly get to me, especially considering I get to vent whatever I think about it on here. But its the repetition of idiotic comments that gets tiresome. That and the contradicting and double-standards and negative comments about every aspect of where I live. I'm used to the criticism (SF and CA take the most criticism, whether good or bad, of anywhere else IMO - everyone's got an opinion one way or another about my city and state). But it gets old after a while, and much of the time credit is not even given where it is due. It provokes response out of me, just like the slightest thing being said about places in the NE provoke responses out of many of them.

But I hear ya! I do take most of it with a grain of salt and consider the sources, which I don't think very highly of in many cases. So if I think someone's a moron, I don't really care what their opinion is. I probably appear on this to care way more than I actually do. I've just got plenty to say and I don't hold back. But don't trip, I'm not taking any of this too seriously.
OK good. So we're on the same page then. Well on a lot of CD threads some people really like to talk down other areas to bring theirs up. This is stupid. The way I look at it is if you have to down somebody else's place for yours to look good then yours must not be good in the first place.

Also a lot of people just like to talk s*** to get a rise out of people. Probably 3/4 of all the trash talking that goes on in these threads is people messing with other people. They don't believe anything they're saying they're just messing with this other person. They're talking BS to get the other person ranting and raving. I like to debate though so I'll usually talk trash back to them.

By the way SF is one of the best cities in the U.S. It's one of my favorite cities. Anybody that has something bad to say about SF they're strictly talking BS. They don't believe in what they're saying. Everybody knows that SF is one of the best cities in America.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:35 PM

11,334 posts, read 17,106,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
OK good. So we're on the same page then. Well on a lot of CD threads some people really like to talk down other areas to bring theirs up. This is stupid. The way I look at it is if you have to down somebody else's place for yours to look good then yours must not be good in the first place.

Also a lot of people just like to talk s*** to get a rise out of people. Probably 3/4 of all the trash talking that goes on in these threads is people messing with other people. They don't believe anything they're saying they're just messing with this other person. They're talking BS to get the other person ranting and raving. I like to debate though so I'll usually talk trash back to them.

By the way SF is one of the best cities in the U.S. It's one of my favorite cities. Anybody that has something bad to say about SF they're strictly talking BS. They don't believe in what they're saying. Everybody knows that SF is one of the best cities in America.

This is exactly how I see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or