U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is overall better?
U.S. west coast 198 49.38%
U.S. east coast 203 50.62%
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 11:40 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,755,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Some people want to move to city of their dreams and live paycheck to paycheck, than live in a place where they find boring and have plenty of money leftover. I can't tell you how many people I've met who moved to NYC with just a few hundred bucks in their pocket and didn't even care they had nothing saved. Read the NYC board; at least twice a day there's new threads of people saying they just want to pick up and move to NYC without a job and don't care if they don't have much money. That's all what the NY dream is.
Moving anywhere without a job makes no sense at all. You're going to be living on the streets if you do that.

I'm sure NYC is a pretty cool place but the big problem a lot of people have with NYC is the cost of living. I understand what you're saying about people dreaming of NYC but what I'm saying is the vast majority of Americans don't want to live in NYC because they feel it's a bad trade-off. People want a house with a yard, a car, all that stuff. Houston makes it a lot easier to do that. Also Houston isn't boring. I'm sure it's not as exciting as NYC but it's a huge city so it's not boring. Any big city isn't going to be boring. If you can't find something to do in a big city the problem isn't the city the problem is you. You're just making excuses. Again there's a reason why people keep flocking to Texas like moths to a flame. They know it's a good deal.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:40 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,234,845 times
Here's just one example:

Search for Houston on this site and this thread has the most responses:
Get the hell out of Houston!

Search for NYC on this site and this thread has the most responses:
Move to New York City

Old 09-11-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Here's just one example:

Search for Houston on this site and this thread has the most responses:
Get the hell out of Houston!

Search for NYC on this site and this thread has the most responses:
Move to New York City
Come on Rachael! I know what you just did. You picked a negative one for Houston and a positive one for NYC. It doesn't take a genius to figure this out.

Look I've never even been to NYC and you've never even been to Houston. You don't know what it's like to live here and I don't know what it's like to live there. I'm just telling you what 200 and something million people in America think. Most people in America have the opposite opinion of what New Yorkers have of NYC.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:47 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,234,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
Come on Rachael! I know what you just did. You picked a negative one for Houston and a positive one for NYC. It doesn't take a genius to figure this out.

Look I've never even been to NYC and you've never even been to Houston. You don't know what it's like to live here and I don't know what it's like to live there. I'm just telling you what 200 and something million people in America think. Most people in America have the opposite opinion of what New Yorkers have of NYC.

Not according to many people I've met around the country.

And no, I didn't pick the negative one. here are all the results. I clearly picked the one that has the most responses. It doesn't even have that many responses at all in general. Just goes to show it's nothing popular.

43 Things

And check out how many threads and responses there are for moving to NY:
http://www.43things.com/search/query?q=nyc&x=0&y=0

Old 09-11-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Not according to many people I've met around the country.

And no, I didn't pick the negative one. here are all the results. I clearly picked the one that has the most responses. It doesn't even have that many responses at all in general. Just goes to show it's nothing popular.

43 Things

And check out how many threads and responses there are for moving to NY:
43 Things
What are you calling around the country? The northeastern states? If you go to TX, VA, AZ, I guarantee you you will get a totally different set of responses. Also if people know you're from NYC they're not going to tell you the truth. They're not going to blast NYC to you knowing you live there. They're going to tell me the truth because they can be honest with me. I couldn't care less if they like NYC or not.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:54 PM

How about this Rachael? You can like NYC and I can like Houston. Just as long as we're happy with where we're living then that's all that matters, right?

Old 09-11-2009, 11:56 PM

By the way Rachael that was a good debate. Thanks for the laughs you and that other guy gave me.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:58 PM

4,467 posts, read 8,436,802 times
Quote:
How about this Rachael? You can like NYC and I can like Houston. Just as long as we're happy with where we're living then that's all that matters, right?
Hmmm I thought what NYC people said about NYC were all opinions, So I'm wondering why are you replying to us if what we are saying are opinions

Old 09-12-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Hmmm I thought what NYC people said about NYC were all opinions, So I'm wondering why are you replying to us if what we are saying are opinions
They are opinions but it doesn't mean we can't debate it, right? Rachael always likes to debate me. She's debated me on several other threads before. When she arrives on the scene I know it's debate time. I'm up for the challenge.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:02 AM

4,467 posts, read 8,436,802 times
Quote:
May I ask how old are you? I think you are a child because the name Frodo is from a character of the movie of the Lord of the Rings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or