Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is overall better?
U.S. west coast 198 49.38%
U.S. east coast 203 50.62%
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 09:42 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Why would I lie about that? I went to visit my friend who lived in Vancouver (OR) and we went to this bar that she goes to regularly. I wouldn't go out of my way to make up stories.
No, I didn't make it real clear it seems. Not saying YOU are making a story up. I meant the ones at the bar were stringing a line.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:55 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Oh and when I say "East Coast" or "East Coasters," I'm talking about the NE. 90% of the time I'm talking about the area between VA and NY, and to a much lesser degree New England. Most posters from there, even if they are homers, keep things positive and don't seem to feel as much of the need to talk down.

And the South I consider a separate entity entirely. They don't seem to suffer from that need either and rarely talk any trash about us when comparisons are made between our two regions, and we generally get along pretty well. I don't understand why certain NE people feel the need to do that so much. I think its super lame.
I think us “simple East Coast folks” get it now…

If anyone dares say that all the misery of living in California (costs, crime, gangs, bad economy, traffic, taxes, regulation, dirty beaches with high bacteria counts, freezing choppy ocean waters, dirty, overcrowd beaches) is not worth it… we are then labeled as “freaking critics”.

In your post above…did you mention WHAT YOU SAID before I posted that? Of course not, typical California plastic bubble thinking: Heaven forbid someone defends the East Coast and shatters your metal image of what the rest of the USA is REALLY like.

Talk about lame…

Old 09-12-2009, 04:26 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,063,579 times
Quote:
Every corner of the country I've been to, it's been the same response. The people I met in Oregon made it seem like i was from another country and kept asking me about NY and how they've dreamed of going there, how they never met anyone from NY. Let me just say I was the center of attention at the bar that night, lol. Everyone introduced me as "Rachael, from NYC" I think they made it a bigger deal than it is. See, we don't really make it a big deal when going around the country. It's the people we meet who do.
I've never been to Seattle, NYC, Atlanta and Miami. I want to visit these cities some time.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
No, I didn't make it real clear it seems. Not saying YOU are making a story up. I meant the ones at the bar were stringing a line.
Yeah I don't believe this either. I think you're right. I think the guys at the bar were trying to pick up Rachael. Single guys in a bar that have been drinking will tell any decent looking girl just about anything to get to second base.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:39 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Default Oh, forget other states

Quote:
Every corner of the country I've been to, it's been the same response. The people I met in Oregon made it seem like i was from another country and kept asking me about NY and how they've dreamed of going there, how they never met anyone from NY. Let me just say I was the center of attention at the bar that night, lol. Everyone introduced me as "Rachael, from NYC" I think they made it a bigger deal than it is. See, we don't really make it a big deal when going around the country. It's the people we meet who do.
The dentist I used to go to on Long Island, shook my hand when I said I was born and raised in Manhattan. I was an old married lady with kids and he was YOUNGER than me (not some dude in a bar looking for a pick up). He said he had never MET anyone born and raised in Manhattan.

PS. This was in a dental office 40 miles FROM Manhattan. Imagine other STATES?

Old 09-12-2009, 05:57 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Might be true in the suburbs and small towns of Oregon--but in Portland, I meet a lot of people these days who just relocated from New York. Maybe in Vancouver, WA or Hillsboro people would be impressed with someone from New York, but in Portland(or any big West Coast city) it wouldn't be that big a deal.

I mean when I've travelled to parts of the South or the Midwest or even some parts of the Northeast, people were tripped out when I told I was from Oregon and grew up in California...They had such wild misconceptions of the West Coast. So it goes both ways..

Last edited by Deezus; 09-12-2009 at 07:18 PM..

Old 09-12-2009, 06:07 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,150,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
Yeah I don't believe this either. I think you're right. I think the guys at the bar were trying to pick up Rachael. Single guys in a bar that have been drinking will tell any decent looking girl just about anything to get to second base.

2nd base? You missed the class on closing....he he he he

Old 09-12-2009, 06:18 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
The dentist I used to go to on Long Island, shook my hand when I said I was born and raised in Manhattan. I was an old married lady with kids and he was YOUNGER than me (not some dude in a bar looking for a pick up). He said he had never MET anyone born and raised in Manhattan.

PS. This was in a dental office 40 miles FROM Manhattan. Imagine other STATES?
So what you are saying is that people from NYC don't travel outside the City limits much. Either that or you and your Daughter meet some very isolated individuals in your travels.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
2nd base? You missed the class on closing....he he he he
I played hooky that day.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
So what you are saying is that people from NYC don't travel outside the City limits much. Either that or you and your Daughter meet some very isolated individuals in your travels.
I think what she is saying is people in Manhattan rarely leave Manhattan. Just to prove this there's a show that my wife and I like to watch. It's called Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations. Anthony has lived in Manhattan his whole life and just made a new episode where he traveled to the outer boroughs of NYC. He said he has never been to these outer boroughs before (Queens, the Bronx, Staten Island, etc). He has been all over the world to China, Vietnam, a million different places but he never cared enough to go to these other boroughs of NYC. He admitted himself that this is pretty strange and I have to agree with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City