U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which region is overall better?
U.S. west coast 198 49.38%
U.S. east coast 203 50.62%
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-13-2009, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
4,467 posts, read 8,442,514 times
Reputation: 5512

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
This is the type of uncalled-for trash talking I was just speaking out against. It looks like I left my computer at the right time the other day.
saying NYC is the best city of the world is trash-talking? Why? Even when I was watching the game of the NY Giants today against the Redskins, they said that NYC is the best city of the world, so it is not just me, even in the TV they say it too...

 
Old 09-13-2009, 07:03 PM
 
2,958 posts, read 5,666,774 times
Reputation: 1408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
I think what she is saying is people in Manhattan rarely leave Manhattan. Just to prove this there's a show that my wife and I like to watch. It's called Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations. Anthony has lived in Manhattan his whole life and just made a new episode where he traveled to the outer boroughs of NYC. He said he has never been to these outer boroughs before (Queens, the Bronx, Staten Island, etc). He has been all over the world to China, Vietnam, a million different places but he never cared enough to go to these other boroughs of NYC. He admitted himself that this is pretty strange and I have to agree with him.
I was just watching that episode and I had the same reaction. I think its sad that he lives there and cannot even get around enough to explore more than 1/15 of what exists in his city. And I bet even then he mostly sticks to only certain parts of Manhattan. I wonder how many NYers are THAT unfamiliar with the rest of their city or region. That makes for a very provincial perspective. Good thing he gets to travel elsewhere so often. But I still find it amazing he's as unfamiliar as he is with a city he has lived in or near for his 52 years of living.
 
Old 09-13-2009, 07:04 PM
 
2,958 posts, read 5,666,774 times
Reputation: 1408
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
probably 1/3 of the people i know in sf bay are from new york...
Yeah there are a ton out here. I don't have so high a percentage that I personally know, but I have always come across a lot of NY and NE transplants out here.
 
Old 09-13-2009, 07:05 PM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 13,246,890 times
Reputation: 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
I was just watching that episode and I had the same reaction. I think its sad that he lives there and cannot even get around enough to explore more than 1/15 of what exists in his city. And I bet even then he mostly sticks to only certain parts of Manhattan. I wonder how many NYers are THAT unfamiliar with the rest of their city or region. That makes for a very provincial perspective. Good thing he gets to travel elsewhere so often. But I still find it amazing he's as unfamiliar as he is with a city he has lived in or near for his 52 years of living.

You'd be surprised. There are some NYers who unfortunately have not ventured to different areas of the city. I never lived in Manhattan, but I bet I know a lot more about the outer-boroughs and how to get around than some people who have lived in Manhattan for 20 years.
 
Old 09-13-2009, 07:12 PM
 
2,958 posts, read 5,666,774 times
Reputation: 1408
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
saying NYC is the best city of the world is trash-talking? Why? Even when I was watching the game of the NY Giants today against the Redskins, they said that NYC is the best city of the world, so it is not just me, even in the TV they say it too...
No papi, lol, not that. Not that at all really. Its good to have pride in where you come from, at least to some degree. I mean saying that is a bit arrogant, but I don't find it to be offensive so that's not what I was talking about.

I meant this part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Texas people should not feel proud of Texas why like they always do, why? Because there is nothing to find in Texas, everything is country. All you can find in Texas are farms. Texas is nothing when compared to NYC. I always get vexed when I stickers saying "Don't mess with Texas" please like if Texas was that great.
First of all, obviously TX is more than farms if its our 2nd most populous state and has more big cities (by a long shot) than NY state does. So comments like that are unnecessarily disrespectful.

And secondly, if NYers feel it should be okay for them to boast about how great their city is, then Texans and everyone else should be able to take pride in where they're from as well. If you really believe what you're saying about NYC, then Texans saying what they say shouldn't bother you at all since you don't believe there is any truth to what they are claiming. Its not like they are saying NYC is second rate or putting it down at all. They think their state is the greatest, so what's wrong with that? To them maybe it is and maybe they aren't interested in NYC. It doesn't affect NYC at all so why should it matter? That's all I'm saying here.
 
Old 09-13-2009, 07:15 PM
 
2,958 posts, read 5,666,774 times
Reputation: 1408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
You'd be surprised. There are some NYers who unfortunately have not ventured to different areas of the city. I never lived in Manhattan, but I bet I know a lot more about the outer-boroughs and how to get around than some people who have lived in Manhattan for 20 years.
That's interesting. I would have expected more Manhattanites to have gotten around more than that, especially considering how often I hear NYers talking about all their city has to offer. I guess some of em are just faking the funk.

But I can understand to a certain degree. Manhattan offers so much and all I can see people being content there. But I know if it was me I'd get stir crazy being on that little island all the time. Even when I've visited there I needed to explore the boroughs, and I'm looking forward to doing more of that in the future. Although Manhattan was the best IMO by a long shot.
 
Old 09-13-2009, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
4,467 posts, read 8,442,514 times
Reputation: 5512
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
No papi, lol, not that. Not that at all really. Its good to have pride in where you come from, at least to some degree. I mean saying that is a bit arrogant, but I don't find it to be offensive so that's not what I was talking about.

I meant this part:



First of all, obviously TX is more than farms if its our 2nd most populous state and has more big cities (by a long shot) than NY state does. So comments like that are unnecessarily disrespectful.

And secondly, if NYers feel it should be okay for them to boast about how great their city is, then Texans and everyone else should be able to take pride in where they're from as well. If you really believe what you're saying about NYC, then Texans saying what they say shouldn't bother you at all since you don't believe there is any truth to what they are claiming. Its not like they are saying NYC is second rate or putting it down at all. They think their state is the greatest, so what's wrong with that? To them maybe it is and maybe they aren't interested in NYC. It doesn't affect NYC at all so why should it matter? That's all I'm saying here.
Ok, I understand what you are saying completely. What I am saying here is that TX people think that TX is "all that." When in reality TX does not have anything to offer. I agree with you that NY is not so much big as TX, but NYC, NYC is the greatest. I do not see anything in what TX has to offer so all I'm wondering is why would people be so proud and everything when TX does not have anything?

Now if people are proud of LA or SF or Cali as a whole I understand, but TX???
 
Old 09-13-2009, 07:25 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia,New Jersey, NYC!
6,967 posts, read 18,217,065 times
Reputation: 2641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
You'd be surprised. There are some NYers who unfortunately have not ventured to different areas of the city. I never lived in Manhattan, but I bet I know a lot more about the outer-boroughs and how to get around than some people who have lived in Manhattan for 20 years.

very good point. you only know your neighborhood. you can't speak for a massive area. idenities change...
 
Old 09-13-2009, 07:27 PM
 
2,958 posts, read 5,666,774 times
Reputation: 1408
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Ok, I understand what you are saying completely. What I am saying here is that TX people think that TX is "all that." When in reality TX does not have anything to offer. I agree with you that NY is not so much big as TX, but NYC, NYC is the greatest. I do not see anything in what TX has to offer so all I'm wondering is why would people be so proud and everything when TX does not have anything?

Now if people are proud of LA or SF or Cali as a whole I understand, but TX???
I get what you are saying here. Since there's nothing in TX you're aware of that would interest you at all, then its hard to fathom why anyone would claim it to be much of anything? I think there's a lot more to TX than you might realize, but I also think that it would never be up your alley. Its just a difference in mindset and preference. Some people might prefer the people, the food, the weather, the sports teams, the laid back Southern hospitality, etc....or whatever else they find there that they like.....to what they find elsewhere.

I've never been to TX so I can't really speak on it, but I think there is enough there for plenty of people to love it very much. I've personally known 2 people who lived there and couldn't stand it, but I knew someone else who lived in Austin, then went to middle school and high school in Italy, came to SF for college, and then moved back to Austin b/c she liked it a lot over there. So to each his/her own.

I could see why this is hard to relate to though b/c from where you're at you know how bada$$ NYC is and can't get why someone would not want to live in the ultimate US city. Especially when TX seems so country and rural. But there is a lot more to TX than just farms and horses like its stereotyped as being nothing more than.
 
Old 09-13-2009, 09:08 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
4,467 posts, read 8,442,514 times
Reputation: 5512
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
I get what you are saying here. Since there's nothing in TX you're aware of that would interest you at all, then its hard to fathom why anyone would claim it to be much of anything? I think there's a lot more to TX than you might realize, but I also think that it would never be up your alley. Its just a difference in mindset and preference. Some people might prefer the people, the food, the weather, the sports teams, the laid back Southern hospitality, etc....or whatever else they find there that they like.....to what they find elsewhere.

I've never been to TX so I can't really speak on it, but I think there is enough there for plenty of people to love it very much. I've personally known 2 people who lived there and couldn't stand it, but I knew someone else who lived in Austin, then went to middle school and high school in Italy, came to SF for college, and then moved back to Austin b/c she liked it a lot over there. So to each his/her own.

I could see why this is hard to relate to though b/c from where you're at you know how bada$$ NYC is and can't get why someone would not want to live in the ultimate US city. Especially when TX seems so country and rural. But there is a lot more to TX than just farms and horses like its stereotyped as being nothing more than.
Even this person says that is all flat, meaning that is nothing but farms and that there is nothing to do in TX.

Want to Move out of Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:52 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top