Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is overall better?
U.S. west coast 198 49.38%
U.S. east coast 203 50.62%
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 10:12 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,474,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Not really. You have to stretch it a bit to think 12 out of 27 is a majority at all. I would say being less than half, it shows that the worst of corruption is NOT on the East Coast, but the rest of the Country.
How do you figure? Not on the majority claim (which I don't even get your reason for mentioning since that wasn't even what had been brought up), but on the worst of the corruption supposedly not being there. No other region had nearly as many in that list of 27, other than the South and ONLY when the South's count includes the states that run along the coast.

There are only 15 states in existence that run along the East Coast of the US. If all but 3 of them are among those top 27, 8 being in the NE alone, then the list is definitely more heavily-represented by East Coast states than anywhere else. The East Coast only had 15 possible candidates to place in that list and landed 12 of them lol. 7 out of the top 11 alone is enough of a sample to restate the claim that the worst of the corruption IS on the East Coast - at least according to that list.

If you're attempting to target the worst cluster of corruption by going off of that list, then the East Coast is where you would aim, plain and simple. A small majority being spread throughout the rest of the nation does not absolve the East from being the worst in this list. Not that it really matters at all, but just sayin.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly born Jersey raised View Post
Unlike the west coast are demographic is constantly changing & the minorities are always swapping neighbrohoods although yeah you've got main influences but there not in your face.If you come over here you might have an ear eye & throat Doc as a Jew but a Brazilian might sell you a cell phone.So it's all over the place now.Italians do have ther own neighborhood near the Marina not to far from where the rocky statue used to be & the Vets stadium ...but anyway you question me all you want I choose WAWA anyday over Winchels.
Lol sorry, but your first line here is way off. Like laughably off. Kind of tough to have folks keep saying that droves of white and black people are leaving CA, Mexicans are taking over (since that's all we have here, remember lol?), and have proof that Asians of all groups are increasing here, while at the same time claim that our demographics aren't changing lol.

Just had to clear that one up. Carry on!

Old 07-20-2011, 10:17 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
Who cares if LA is growing? LA probably has the second worst economy in this country for large cities only behind Detroit.
Uh... are you serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
It is home to renowned institutions covering a broad range of professional and cultural fields, and is one of the most substantial economic engines within the United States. Los Angeles has been ranked the third richest city and fifth most powerful and influential city in the world, behind only New York City in the United States. The Los Angeles combined statistical area (CSA) has a gross metropolitan area (GMP) of $831 billion (as of 2008), making it the third largest economic center in the world, after the Greater Tokyo Area and the New York Metropolitan Area.
Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-20-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly born Jersey raised View Post
exactly & the last poster just confirmed what you stated so culturally exposed but so intolerant.who's thick headed???
That poster isn't even from CA and just got here. Please don't generalize Californians based on a handful of transplants. If 20 child rapists from Wisconsin moved to Philly and we just read posts from them boasting about what they do, you wouldn't want us saying all Philadelphians were child rapists, right?

Not to compare that poster negatively at all. I'm just saying if you're not feeling someone who isn't actually from here, don't say we're a certain way based on that person or others who aren't actually from here. Transplants to one place are rarely at all like that places natives. Ya know?

Not trying to push you aside NowinCA, just trying to clarify a misconception that often occurs.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:32 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,585 times
West coast, "Fourteeners" and plenty of deserts, nuff said.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:14 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
I don't live in SF.
Oh by now he knows that quite well but chooses to overlook that because San Francisco is by far their number 1 target. The object of their envy and ire.

Its almost a complex.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:21 AM

436 posts, read 954,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Actually Philly's population is growing and it only lost 25% of its population peak. In comparison, other major cities such as Chicago and DC also lost 25% of its population peak. Can you name a city besides LA or any sunbelt city that hasn't lost any population at any point. NO, and that excludes you beloved san Fran. You are trolling, reaching, and trying too hard to make Philly seem in worst shape than it really it is. You are pathetic.
People are ignorant and uninformed towards Philly; it's comical if not pitiful at the same time. Caly-fornia is in such debt it wishes it would wash out into the Pacific just to get some insurance relief.

East Coast gets my vote.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:19 AM

77 posts, read 152,616 times
I would like to travel and see what all of the hype is about. I'm sure that I'd enjoy it but the west really I prefer the east right now. Can't spell beast without east and that holds true even in this discussion. Top beaches, top cities, top history (everything important has and is happening in the east), top businesses, top school, top...see what I mean?

In all honesty, why would a philadelphian be jealous of a person residing in the bay area (be it san jose or sweet san franny)? Think about that, there's money, power, entertainment, nature, culture,etc on this side and better quality. I read on here that if Philly were in Oregon or whatever, that it'd be the undisputed leader on the Pacific...sadly (not really) no western city can play that type of game.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:47 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,243,100 times
I left the east coast for many reasons and the weather is one of them. The sweltering heat and humidity taking place right now is something I never want to experience again.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:13 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I left the east coast for many reasons and the weather is one of them. The sweltering heat and humidity taking place right now is something I never want to experience again.

It is miserably hot on the East coast today - Today 100 in Philly and tomorrow potentially a record at 102
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City