Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is overall better?
U.S. west coast 198 49.38%
U.S. east coast 203 50.62%
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 10:53 AM

1,512 posts, read 8,135,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I think accessibility is the issue. Mountains descent right down to the beach in much of the West Coast [ie. LA\ Malibu, Big Sur, hills of San Francisco, all of Oregon & Washington coastline]. In-fact, the Olympic Peninsula near Seattle goes from beach to glacier in a hour. The utter beauty of the mountains & sea is spectacular out here. The East Coast is totally flat w/ no mountains to be seen from the coastline. The beaches are nice esp in Florida but in Los Angeles you can hike in steep canyons [Topanga] & look down on the ocean. Then hike back down to the beach and take a swim in the Pacific. Nowhere can that be done on the East Coast.
Have you ever heard of Maine?

Old 09-11-2009, 10:59 AM

203 posts, read 686,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Have you ever heard of Maine?
The west is warmer, lol

Old 09-11-2009, 11:26 AM

18,957 posts, read 32,406,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
And the coldest water on the east coast is as warm as the warmest on the west. At least in summer it is.
That's not true, the waters from Massachusetts north are colder than Southern CA water temps during summer. And the water is much warmer along the west coast during winter compared to the Northeast.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:25 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,824,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
That's not true, the waters from Massachusetts north are colder than Southern CA water temps during summer. And the water is much warmer along the west coast during winter compared to the Northeast.
Agreed.
But just as North of Gloucester, Mass, is cold. Anything north of LA is colder. In fact the water in the Gulf of Maine is currently 62 degrees whereas the water off Monterey is currently 56 degrees.
Its anywhere from 65 to 68 degrees off Massachusetts right now.
As you approach the Carolinas, the water is in the 80's.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:33 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,052,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Then what are you doing in Colorado?

As far as coastline goes, I have to disagree with you. The East Coast coastline with all the inlets, islands, and harbors is much more appealing to me than the long cold rocky coastline of the west. There are of course exceptions, those being the beaches of LA and San Diego and San Francisco.
But you can drive for miles upon miles along the West coast and not find an appealing spot. Plus, as I said, the water is pretty cold.

Conversely, the East Coast is literally one giant sandy beach, interspersed with warm, inviting, sail dotted, harbors lined with 18th and 19th century sea captain's homes.
And the coldest water on the east coast is as warm as the warmest on the west. At least in summer it is.
Yeah I agree with this. I've been to the east coast from MD to ME. I've been to CA a couple of times. Yes the beach on the west coast is a lot prettier because of the cliffs and mountains but the beach on the east coast is a lot more practical. On the east coast in the summer you can get in the water without a wet suit. On the west coast you have to wear a wet suit. If I have to wear a wet suit anytime I want to get in the water then that is no fun. The east coast is a very flat beach (no mountains and no cliffs) except for ME. Maine's coast is a little hilly. So the east coast definitely isn't as pretty but I take practical over pretty.

If I want to shoot awesome pictures I'll go to the west coast because the west coast is definitely the prettiest but as far as living it would need to be the Gulf coast or the east coast so I can enjoy the water some.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:46 PM

18,957 posts, read 32,406,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
On the east coast in the summer you can get in the water without a wet suit. On the west coast you have to wear a wet suit. If I have to wear a wet suit anytime I want to get in the water then that is no fun.
The water in Southern CA is warm enough to swim w/o a wetsuit during summer, from about June though early Oct.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:49 PM

62 posts, read 123,933 times
The West Coast, hands down. The weather is just so much better here. Not to mention we have Vegas.

Although I do like how the states on the East Coast are practically bunhced up together, so it is much easier to drive across state lines.

While things on the West Coast are more spread out.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:08 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,443,229 times
I think its so funny how some East Coasters will talk all this trash about people in the West being "wimpy" b/c of us having moderate, comfortable weather, but suddenly when we're talking about beaches and ocean temps our coastline is too rugged and our water is "oooh too cold!" for them. Talk about wimpy! Gimme a break lol.

I'd respect you guys more if you'd just openly declare that you'll choose the East Coast in every arena just because you're homers and can't look at things objectively. At least be real about it. I'd still think those of you that do this are a bunch of retards, as I do now, but at least I'd be able to slightly respect your consistent double-standards. Man some of you guys are so full of crap its insane lol.

Last edited by jman650; 09-11-2009 at 04:12 PM..

Old 09-11-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
The ACC is still better than the Pac 10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Exactly, Big East too...
You guys sure about that? Because the rankings seem to disagree with you homers:

AP Top 25

#3 - USC
#10 - Cal

#14 - VA Tech
#15 - GA Tech
#18 - Notre Dame
#19 - North Carolina
#20 - Miami
#23 - Cincinnati

ESPN Power Rankings

#3 - USC
#7 - Cal

#14 - GA Tech
#15 - VA Tech
#16 - Notre Dame
#17 - Miami
#20 - North Carolina
#21 - Cincinnati

Seems to me the Pac 10 is looking better than both the Big East and the ACC at the moment.

If you were claiming SEC or Big 10 I might have agreed with y'all, but not with the two divisions you're claiming here. USC alone > Big East and ACC. In football anyway - that's the only college sport I'm actually interested in at all.

From Wikipedia:

"USC's football team is regarded as the centerpiece of an athletic program that has won more NCAA men's individual and men's team titles than any other university and is third in co-ed team titles, behind fellow Pac-10 schools UCLA and Stanford."

You eastern homers love to keep trying to talk down, no matter how many times you're proven wrong and it blows up in your face. You guys (the Twerps) just got owned by a Pac 10 team. Now you're going to try and down the entire conference? LMAO. Stay classy East Coast!

Last edited by jman650; 09-11-2009 at 04:13 PM..

Old 09-11-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
So what, we're unranked and lost to the number 12 team with the best running back in the country (who'll probably win the Heisman). Plus, all our seniors graduated and the 3 hour time difference.
Wow, nice back-peddling. That's quite a different tune that what you were singing here:

Quote:
Don't worry we'll show the West the way things really are, when the Terps dominate Cal this Saturday.
Hey, YOU said you'd show us the way things REALLY are, and I'm inclined to agree with ya! The way things really are is that the East Coast talks a big game all the time, and can only back it up part of the time, the same way everywhere else can. Once in a while you guys are right by chance, but more often (considering how big and tough y'all like to talk) you guys come up short. Just like you did here.

And then you make excuses, just like you did here. Learn to have some self-respect.

It's the exact same thing wherever I see anything that could pit any region against the East Coast. You guys talk, talk, talk and then get owned. Man even on America's Best Dance Crew (a really whack show that could be cool if Randy Jackson didn't run it) every season some jerk off from the East Coast talks some trash about how "the West is going down" and then they all fail and get eliminated and the West wins. Its like this just about everywhere I look lately.

If you loudmouths ever just shut up and handled business for once instead of talking so big and failing so often, you might actually earn the respect of the rest of us and not just make fools of yourselves. Even if you guys were all that - which you're clearly NOT lol - try learning some humility at some point. Win or lose, you just make yourselves look like losers by talking so big. And I'm speaking generally, not just in this instance.

Quote:
If you ask me our win (as an underdog) over Cal last year was more humiliating. So laugh it up guys, I may have been a little over-optimistic and run my mouth off too much, but this is the last time we embarras ourselves to a Pac-10 team.
Maybe, maybe not. But you're just highlighting my point here. Way to follow up putting your foot in your mouth by making another declaration that may or may not come true. (Btw I highly doubt it will. ) Any idiot can talk all they want to. A one-armed 4 year old can tell you he's the strongest dude on the planet, or a blind dude can tell you he's the best fighter pilot. But talking out your a$$ and not backing it up just makes you guys look pathetic. I have no respect for someone who just talks and never, or rarely, can show and prove.

Not saying the East Coast never wins at anything or backs anything up, I'm just saying I can't stand this type of person. And this isn't meant as a personal attack just so you know. I'm just venting my opinion based on the collective actions of a bunch of you guys.

One thing's for sure about you big mouths from the East Coast: you guys talk more trash and boast more than any other region. If you wanted to claim that I highly doubt anyone else would argue. You guys (not the entire coast, just the type of individual I'm focusing on here) seem to place more importance on hype and perception than substance. And that's something I absolutely cannot relate to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City