U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 01:23 PM

10,287 posts, read 12,400,880 times

Advertisements

Seattle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 02:58 AM

40 posts, read 62,623 times
Thanks a lot for your advice guys. I may be moving to the US in a year or so (maybe 2), to rejoin my American wife (who is going to have to move back to the US next summer). At the moment I am just looking for potential places we can both live, somewhere big enough to have jobs for us both, and with a decent, tolerant and vibrant culture.
Tough choice though - Denver is really convenient for flying back to the UK, and I had an uncle who lived there for years and loved it, although Seattle sounds like it might be more my kind of place possibly... Need to visit both cities!

anyway, sorry for the ramblings and thanks again

Old 12-13-2012, 08:36 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,030,835 times
I was looking at those cities too and they along with Mpls are top notch 2nd tier cities: lots great neighborhoods for variety and they deliver on mass transit and bike infrastructure and liberal culture. Here in Mpls, co-ops are serious business: there's a good one on just about every side of town. Lots of coffee shops, vegetarian/vegan-friendly restaurants, and lakes, of course. In the end, I think you can find much of the same in any and it basically depends on what you prefer as far as natural settings go. I personally was loving the 10 inches of snow we got last weekend (the highest amount in recent times) and just walking around in it wandering around Downtown and just stopping in at various spots. So:

Seattle if you need the ocean. Denver if you need mountains. Minneapolis if you need lakes and love biking.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:45 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,899,169 times
This thread is old, so I'm sure the question is no longer relevant. However, if it was, I would definitely choose Seattle. I love the water element, the proximity to the mountains, and the proximity to Vancouver. Love Seattle, and love Vancouver.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:17 AM

yeah thanks guys - I am leaning more towards Seattle I think. The culture appeals to me the most, and I don't want to live too far away from the sea! Even though I am in the centre of the country here in the UK, I can still be by the sea within 3 hours drive, so living in Denver might freak me out a little!

Old 12-14-2012, 02:19 AM

actually I know nothing at all about Minneapolis - is that a fairly cosmopolitan place?

Old 05-20-2013, 10:55 AM

7 posts, read 8,725 times
This thread is now quite old, but I just ran across it and couldn't help chiming in. When someone lives in one city or the other and says they're going to give an "objective" analysis...lol, well I don't really think that's likely, as liveability and priority is quite subjective by it's nature. I love both Seattle and Denver, and when I was finally burned out of living in LA (line most sane people eventually are), I narrowed it down to those two cities after traveling extensively to both. They both have vibrant downtowns, stunning scenery nearby, fit, outdoors type of lifestyles, similar in size, etc. In my opinion, Seattle has the edge in overall urban sophistication, while Denver has other amenities not found in Seattle. Some say Denver is too isolated, while to me Seattle seems the one farther away (by plane) to most other major destinations in America. In any event, as with many of us, the tie was broken by the weather factor. For me, and other sun-loving types, Seattle just has too high a percentage of gray weather. I like knowing that I can plan any outdoor activity in advance and have around an 80% chance of a non-wet, non gray day to do so. I'd love to have the ocean at my doorstep, but the trade-off is just not worth it to me, and I think the grandeur of the Rockies is about equal anyway. To each his own, and I think either city has a FAR higher quality of life, environmentally speaking, than did Los Angeles! :-)

Old 05-20-2013, 01:00 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,819,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JButlin View Post
which city is better in terms of culture, and a walkable downtown? I guess by culture I mean anything from book shops to bars/pubs.
Seattle has a more walkable downtown and inner neighborhoods, and I'd argue it has a higher concentration of bars and pubs than Denver, as well as more nightlife centers. However, as others have stated in other threads, people in Denver tend to be friendlier and more outgoing so you may have a better time going out in Denver (I've noticed that bars and pubs are generally more accessible and welcoming in cities in the interior of the country compared to the coasts).

Old 05-30-2013, 01:31 AM

Thanks very much for the feedback guys - very useful indeed! Hopefully I will be able to visit both cities within the next year and finally take a look for myself. Living in the UK, the rain isn't too much of an issue for me, although it would be nice to plan an outdoor activity and not have to cancel it!

Old 08-07-2013, 07:17 PM

4,598 posts, read 3,748,511 times
This thread grabbed my interest because I want to flee the dying state of IL and want to move someplace that has mountains and an outdoor culture. I love Chicago, but it lacks one thing I need...mountains. I was stuck in the Seattle or Denver dilemma...

I am leaning Denver for a three reasons:
1) The Climate...
--More sunshine...I need sunshine. Months of gloomy skies is depressing.

--4 seasons with no humidity...I don't mind the cold or the heat as long as neither is humid. Damp cold is the only weather that bothers my sinuses. Hot and humid is awful. I don't like sweating from the moment I step outside. It is also the only weather that brings back asthma symptoms. It is like I am breathing with a wet rag over my mouth.

Anyways, the talk of hot and humid is a waste of time when comparing these cities. The issue with Seattle is that there are two seasons. Cold, damp, and grey is one. The other is cool, dry, and sunny. The problem is that the former is a lot longer than the latter.

2) Outdoor Recreation
I love hiking and scrambling (Class 3 climbing, and maybe a few Class 4's) and want to do both at a high altitude which makes Colorado the obvious choice (all the high mountains in WA require technical gear and skills). Colorado also has superior ice climbing.

The downside is that Colorado has rattlesnakes...but those can be avoided with some common sense and caution.

3) Closer to home
While I am fleeing the state, I will want to come back to the region to visit family in IL and WI during the holidays. Denver is closer and cheaper to the Midwest than Seattle. If I really wanted to, I could drive in a day and a half solo, or a long day with another person.

People talk about how isolated Denver is from other cities...that is a moot point. People that relocate to Denver on their own free will do so for the mountains and outdoor recreation. I really don't care about the nearest major city. I care about access to 14ers and the Eagles Nest Wilderness. Economically, it has a better forecast than the Chicago area, and that is all that matters to me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City