U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 02:28 PM

20 posts, read 102,584 times

Advertisements

I've reached a standstill in my decision on where to move and need help. The two places I'm considering are the Denver area (within 30 miles or so) and the Seattle area (within 30 miles or so). I'm from Santa Cruz, CA and moved to San Diego two years ago. San Diego is beautiful, but for some reason I just don't like it here. I'm a little bit bored and a lot of the people I meet are not as friendly as I'd like (which makes meeting nice people all that much better). I'll be moving with my Golden Retriever, so I'd like to live in a dog friendly city. One thing I don't like about Southern California is the cost of living and the congestion. I know that Seattle is pretty congested and expensive, but it's so beautiful there, and I like that there are plenty of opportunities to get away (San Juan Islands, Portland, Canada). Is Denver fairly congested as well? As for the weather, I'm not sure if I prefer the snow of Denver or the rain of Seattle. I consider myself fairly liberal and the laid back lifestyle of Seattle appeals to me (not to mention the fresh seafood). What do you guys think? What are some of the best and worst qualities of living in Seattle or Denver? What are the people like in each city, and how easy is it to escape from the big city every now and then? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 03:09 PM

997 posts, read 4,223,897 times
I lived rite outside of Denver for 5 years. Very cool, very laid back. The cost of living is equal to a little more then Seattle. And to be honest, after 3 years of living in Colorado I was looking to move to PDX. I worked for the airlines then so it would have been an easy transfer for my job. I never lived in Seattle but am planning to. The obvious thing in Seattle would be weather/traffic related. The plus is friendlier people and no extreme weather. I feel you would like both so suggest doing some reading/investigating of both places and weigh the pros and cons.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:51 PM

627 posts, read 2,730,868 times
I lived in North County San Diego for 6 months (I moved there from Seattle) and like you I just didn't mesh with the place. Boring, people weren't very interesting to me or very diverse where I was living (I am sure there are many cool people there, I just didn't meet them in that limited time.). I found paradise to be a bore. I lived in Seattle for 13 years. They are without question the most memorable and some of the most lovely memories of my life thus far.

You can easily get away on the weekends to the islands, down south, up north or east for a diveristy of entertainment/activities every weekend no problem. There is a lot to do all over. I wasn't bored for a second in that town. In fact I always thought boring was an individual problem until I moved to San Diego and I found some places really aren't very stimulating in critical ways for me. Not that there is anything wrong with San Diego. It is just mellow and beautiful outside of the traffic, but I could only take so much Mexican culture--I like variety, heat, and relaxation.

Seattle is fantastic. People will be polite and friendly, but plan on being a loner as it is hard to get people to group together there in any long term committed way. Yet, I loved that. People are friendly and nice, but ultimately loners there and that is cool because one really can explore their own reality with ease and with many others doing it right along with them. People do have parties and stuff and get together for athletics, but it is a bit as if everyone is a commitment phobe when it comes to repeated exposure. It is sort of like herding cats, but they all try as best they can, but it just is what it is and you should know that about the place. You will always hit a wall overall with people, with occasional exceptions. But there will be lots of independent people there too.

It is a very business oriented place though and I tired of being asked what I did for a living (even though I always had cool jobs or was in school, but didn't care to talk about work or to be identified as such in my off time). Ironically there seems to be a lot of judgment coming out of the the NW about people with money and also the politics can get more then just liberal, but very radical and this is annoying. I found it a bit PC laden at times. This got a bit stultifying for me.

But there are also laid back places and neighborhoods that are a nice break. One just has to know where they are. There are so many different types there and as many different types of neighborhoods to fit them. Obviously this is all my opinion, based strictly on my personal experience. Hope this was helpful. Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:04 PM

627 posts, read 2,730,868 times
By the way, even though I have not lived there I think Denver would also be a great place. Probably more sun and maybe that is what it will come down to is your weather preference. Sun/Snow (four seasons) versus Seattle's more subdued weather, with less of an emphasis on sun and more on green and lush.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:04 PM

416 posts, read 2,298,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
I lived rite outside of Denver for 5 years. Very cool, very laid back. The cost of living is equal to a little more then Seattle. And to be honest, after 3 years of living in Colorado I was looking to move to PDX. I worked for the airlines then so it would have been an easy transfer for my job. I never lived in Seattle but am planning to. The obvious thing in Seattle would be weather/traffic related. The plus is friendlier people and no extreme weather. I feel you would like both so suggest doing some reading/investigating of both places and weigh the pros and cons.
A person from California who is bored there and looking for a fast life would not be a fit for the Denver area. As you say it's laid back and I agree, my family's there. Not sure if this person is a fit for the Seattle area either, more laid back than where he is from. I would say New York city to keep him entertained for a while.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:12 PM

3,226 posts, read 12,664,387 times
Seattle.

In my vast Denver experience (I drove through it once ) I didn't enjoy it.

Seriously though, we sort of looked into the area some years back, because my husband was thinking of taking a job out there. From what I heard back from those that did take the job (then were layed off, and ended up coming back) it's a tough job market.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:48 AM

997 posts, read 4,223,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_singlemother View Post
A person from California who is bored there and looking for a fast life would not be a fit for the Denver area. As you say it's laid back and I agree, my family's there. Not sure if this person is a fit for the Seattle area either, more laid back than where he is from. I would say New York city to keep him entertained for a while.
NYC is 3X the prices of Wa and Denver. Its very unique and not sure it can be compared to the 2.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:49 AM

11 posts, read 69,149 times
We lived in Denver for 10 years and have just moved to Seattle. Denver is a great place to live if you like the outdoors. The sun shines 300 days a year - so everybody is always outside - even in the snow! The city is also very athletic as a rule.

On the downside for Denver - the weather is crazy - it can be 70 degrees at noon and snowing and 40 by 5pm. The job market has been slow for the past few years - especially in tech jobs - never really recovered from the early 2000's slowdown.

On the upside - it is a fun place - great for families and singles - and the mountains offer somehting to do all year.

As for Seattle - we like it so far - but the cost of living (especially real estate) is considerable higher. There are more things to do here in terms of weekend trips - and the scenery is amazing. The jury is still out on what we think of the rain - but otherwise we are highly satisfied.

Good luck!

Old 01-04-2010, 08:52 AM

413 posts, read 1,557,925 times
I just moved to Denver a few months ago and I'm still looking to move to Seattle. Like Wisconsin where I'm from, Denver's job market is certainly not "bad." The problem is just that it's overwhelmingly lower-paid.

Denver isn't all that vibrant or cosmopolitan either. Which is fine, because a lot of so-called "vibrancy" these days is corporate-ly fake and vain, but it almost seems like Denver just doesn't care enough to take care of itself.

Edit: Sorry for reviving this, as there are TONS of topics on the same issue.

If anyone else can chime in though, where do you think is the better place to live on a fairly modest income of 44k or so? I have no problem not living in downtown Seattle, really. In fact, being about 20-25 minutes away in a more "beautiful" area (like I am in Denver) would be preferable, even if I have to commute.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:52 AM

124 posts, read 327,391 times
Can't say much about Denver as I've only been there a couple times on business.

As for Seattle, you should be able to find a place north of the city pretty reasonably. The south side is cheaper, but not nearly as nice. If you're just looking for a one bedroom apartment on that salary, it shouldn't be an issue. For a single family house though, it may be a bit of a stretch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City