U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has overall better climate?
New York City 64 26.02%
Los Angeles 170 69.11%
None of them 12 4.88%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 12:30 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,468,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
And the heat index can go above 120 degrees on the east coast. That 119 degree temp feel cooler than it actually is b/c its dry. So the east coast may never experiance the dry heat the west has but they experiance something just as bad if not worse, humid heat. The temp may be lower but it still is just as hot and even hotter sometimes.
You're absolutely right. Humid heat back East (especially in the Southeast) is much worse than the dry heat out West. In the fall of '07, when I was moving back to school for my senior year of college, the heat index was around 118 in Clemson, SC. It was absolutely hideous. The moment I stepped outside, I was drenched (and I had to move out of my apartment in this heat!).

When I went for a trip to Lake Powell, we were driving through the desert in AZ. I believe the temperature topped 120, and while it was ridiculously hot...it wasn't nearly as bad as the temperature I experienced in South Carolina.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:39 PM

12,284 posts, read 31,690,884 times
Quote:
And the heat index can go above 120 degrees on the east coast. That 119 degree temp feel cooler than it actually is b/c its dry. So the east coast may never experiance the dry heat the west has but they experiance something just as bad if not worse, humid heat. The temp may be lower but it still is just as hot and even hotter sometimes.

The summer 2006 was a fluke and to suggest that SoCal experiences bouts of humidity like that is complete BS. There has been maybe 2-3 days out of my 8 years in San Diego where it's been 90 or higher AND humid and that was during the summer of 2006.

Maybe in the deserts it gets bad with the monsoonal humidity but out near the coast it almost never gets like that.
i've lived here all my life and cannot ever recall a heat index anywhere near 120.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:48 PM

322 posts, read 702,845 times
it is true though... We just don't get humidity in the summer like out in the east or midwest or south

sucks for them...they probably will never realize it if they have never been here and experienced a summer..they probably think its just hot and humid like it is there.

It's funny though...because a manhattanite will argue with you over anything to make manhattan seem better.

Its like come on..in the real world....California/L.A is known for having the best weather in the nation...its like part of our identity and why so many move here from around the world. Yet, a manhattanite will take common knowledge and put a manhattan spin on it, thus giving us the "4 seasons" argument like anyones gonna beleive them...get real

Now tell me this...If I were to do the same as a manhattanite and throw it back at them...I'd say I prefer wider streets and driving a car as opposed to taking a dirty train everywhere with filthy people. Yet they would go on and on about how they are so dense and walkable..well guess what, just like your "4 seasons" myth...people actually DO PREFER to drive here , sure its out of neccesity but even if there was some huge mass transit here I'm sure the majority would prefer to drive.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:52 PM

305 posts, read 683,817 times
Someone call me when NYC acquires a Mediterranean biome.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:55 PM

15,421 posts, read 25,302,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i've lived here all my life and cannot ever recall a heat index anywhere near 120.
I was speaking more of the southeast, particularly South Carolina as I recall them having a heat index that high last summer. The Northeast has experianced heat indices of 110 before as I recall, rarely though.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:07 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,006,973 times
When I lived in both coastal LA, and OC I rarely ever used AC..pretty much a perpetual paradise weather wise. Inland Empire of course is another story..not too enjoyable in July/August. IMO
I think ANYWHERE in the US has inferior climate to the ideally mild California coastal weather..of course assuming you don't want cold..perfect balance of even temps/and balanced humidity. To each their own though..NYC in late autumn is pretty awesome with the beautiful colors and cool crisp days. I prefer So. Cal. weather, but NYC isn't all bad. When I was in the military I lived in both Death Valley Calif. and Columbia SC and was continuously out in the elements...Both perfect examples of extreme summer heat.When it's a 120 plus all bets are off..it's as bad as the humid South and the dryness starts to slowly peel your skin,both DV,AND SC climates in summer equally horrible.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:31 PM

6,883 posts, read 14,024,582 times
I will agree that Los Angeles is better if you live in the San Fernando Valley. Coastal Los Angeles is terrible. I'm working in the valley now and it's a beautiful 80* and sunny. At home near LAX it is 66* and cloudy...how can you enjoy summer and the beach like that? You can't! Chicago is having a pretty nice summer. Highs in the 90s!! Oh wait...I don't live there...our weather is cold...

Old 06-25-2009, 05:15 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,680,099 times
DEF LA. LA prbably has more variety of climates and weather then any US city. RIP Mike.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:59 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,690,884 times
Quote:
I was speaking more of the southeast, particularly South Carolina as I recall them having a heat index that high last summer. The Northeast has experianced heat indices of 110 before as I recall, rarely though.
ok, i don't doubt that, since the topic was NYC it confused me.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:56 PM

6,883 posts, read 14,024,582 times
I proudly stick behind my vote for NYC. At my house near LAX the temperature has not gone below 60* or above 70* since April probably and the days are cloudy and foggy except for 1 or 2 hours during midday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or