Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best culture, food, and quality of life?
Chicago 140 31.25%
New York 194 43.30%
San Francisco 114 25.45%
Voters: 448. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 10:08 PM

804 posts, read 618,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Because the first estimate counted 2 miles from city hall and would have included that already.
But downtown in NYC is for all intents and purposes is Manhattan all the way up to Harlem.
Is it NYC fault that it is so big that it's downtown by itself would be a big city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 10:22 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by risotto11 View Post
But downtown in NYC is for all intents and purposes is Manhattan all the way up to Harlem.
Is it NYC fault that it is so big that it's downtown by itself would be a big city?
That was my argument as compared with other cities if unofficial areas of Manhattan were in other cities they would be counted as the downtown

Old 01-05-2014, 11:05 PM

804 posts, read 618,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
That was my argument as compared with other cities if unofficial areas of Manhattan were in other cities they would be counted as the downtown

To anybody whose been to New York that's not even a question, downtown in American cities (not in Paris though) is where the CBD(s) is/are. In NYC thats Downtown Manhattan, Midtown Manhattan and even Downtown Brooklyn. To simplify lets assume we only count Downtown and Midtown Manhattan. Still don't think any arbitrary downtown grew faster than these two combined.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:50 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post
I would also go with the dungeness crab roll, though I don't know anyone who really eats them. I've had one once, in Fisherman's Wharf. But then again, its not like everyone in Philly eats cheese steak sandwiches or everyone in Chicago eats beef dip sandwiches. Of course San Franciscan's eat far more burritos, but I don't really consider that a sandwich. I also thought of the grilled chicken, bacon and avocado sandwich. I love making tri-tip sandwiches on white bread or burger buns, but tri-tip is a California thing in general, not specifically San Francisco.

But overall I can't really say that SF has a signature sandwich.
There is a season for crab, and crab goes with everything during crab season. The Mission Burrito is unquestionably SF's signature sandwich these days, and the only contenders would be steamed BBQ pork buns and Banh Mi (a more traditional sandwich, I guess).

Old 01-10-2014, 11:54 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Banh Mi is the only sandwich out of those...
Mexican sandwich is a torta, not a burrito.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:14 PM

39 posts, read 58,549 times
Im gonna go with Chicago just for affordability.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:48 PM

206 posts, read 259,916 times
Next thread: NY vs. Chicago vs. Orlando.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:52 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,996 times
Chicago's a good place to visit, plenty to do, see, learn, EAT (emphasis on that), and experience. BUT, living in Chicago is hell. Taxes are sky high, corrupt politicians who run the city and state into the crapper have been in office since the '70's, and it's violent and there are high amounts of unemployment in some areas. I'm sure this can be said about NYC too, but I think NYC is rebounding faster than CHI in terms of violence, unemployment, policing, etc. It's not even just the city that's like this, it's the Chicago suburbs also are crap for taxes, basically Illinois in whole sucks for politics, and gangs and drug dealers are slowing expanding out of the city and into the suburbs, making certain ones less desirable. Though, perhaps it's me just being bias, but Chicago has way better pizza and hot dogs than NYC.

For visiting- Chicago
For living - SF

Old 06-30-2014, 06:52 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnyard Bletch View Post
Next thread: NY vs. Chicago vs. Orlando.
SF is more comparable to NYC than Chicago is to NYC, though. The two cities share more similarities than with Chicago.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:13 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
SF is more comparable to NYC than Chicago is to NYC, though. The two cities share more similarities than with Chicago.
I think that's a pretty tough argument to make. SF and Chicago are also so much more similar to each other than either are to NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City