Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best culture, food, and quality of life?
Chicago 140 31.25%
New York 194 43.30%
San Francisco 114 25.45%
Voters: 448. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 12:29 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is pretty much the story of all 3 cities in this thread aint it? LOL

Maybe...probably! But I am from Chicago and so I have made it all about Chicago...

And great post btw.
Thank you kindly!

Best regards,

HomeIsWhere...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 01:27 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The mission burrito seems like the only one that people would immediately associate with SF specifically, though not quite a sandwich.

I don't reckon there is a soup that peopl identify specifically to Chicago. I wonder if it's possible to still develop these city-specific items anymore now that ingredients, ideas, recipes and restaurant franchises can go anywhere in the world. There are still new ideas popping up everywhere and some of them gain traction but do they become associates with the city they first come out of now? Do people associate korean kalbi tacos with LA immediately or cronuts with NYC?
I don't see why not. There are cities across the country that still have their own unique foods that are hard to find when outside of said city. One of St. Louis' signature dishes is toasted ravioli, for example, and it's hard to find when you're outside of St. Louis in comparison to how it's pretty much on every restaurant's appetizer menu in the STL metro. The same goes for gooey butter cake, provel cheese, pork steaks, etc.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:22 PM

37,142 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
I don't see why not. There are cities across the country that still have their own unique foods that are hard to find when outside of said city. One of St. Louis' signature dishes is toasted ravioli, for example, and it's hard to find when you're outside of St. Louis in comparison to how it's pretty much on every restaurant's appetizer menu in the STL metro. The same goes for gooey butter cake, provel cheese, pork steaks, etc.
I think maybe I need to rephrase what I said. I'm not saying if these things still exist--there is obviously still a Chicago-style hot dog, Cincinnati chili, etc. What I am asking is if new city-specific dishes can be created where they are popular and idiosyncratic to a city and readily identifiable to that city rather than become trends that can hop about on a national or even international level.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:27 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,421,409 times
Quote:
I think maybe I need to rephrase what I said. I'm not saying if these things still exist--there is obviously still a Chicago-style hot dog, Cincinnati chili, etc. What I am asking is if new city-specific dishes can be created where they are popular and idiosyncratic to a city and readily identifiable to that city rather than become trends that can hop about on a national or even international level.
Probably yes, due to immigration trends. So, for example, Jamaican beef patties are everywhere in NYC (especially pizzerias, for some reason), while rare in the rest of the U.S.

If you walked into a pizzeria in Ohio and asked for Jamiacan pattie, they would 1. think you were crazy and 2. wouldn't even know what you were talking about (probably not even understanding you were asking for a food item).

I assume this is because tons of Jamaicans have moved to NYC over the past 30 years, so elements of their cuisine becomes part of the city's "native" foods.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:37 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,137 times
Quote:
I probably need to rephrase instead of you. My line of thinking was that if a city can hold on to its city specific food in this day and age, then I don't see why new city specific foods cannot develop today.

After all, different cities have different populations and different naturally occurring ingredients that can be viewed as being particular to said city/region.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:38 PM

379 posts, read 468,601 times
Same could be said of NYC street halal foods which dominates, due to the influx of Muslim immigrant groups over the past 20 years.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:34 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Probably yes, due to immigration trends. So, for example, Jamaican beef patties are everywhere in NYC (especially pizzerias, for some reason), while rare in the rest of the U.S.

If you walked into a pizzeria in Ohio and asked for Jamiacan pattie, they would 1. think you were crazy and 2. wouldn't even know what you were talking about (probably not even understanding you were asking for a food item).

I assume this is because tons of Jamaicans have moved to NYC over the past 30 years, so elements of their cuisine becomes part of the city's "native" foods.
Not sure about that, they served Jamaican Beef patties in the early 90s at my school cafeteria...Maybe it is a Florida thing also, but there weren't any Jamaicans where I lived... it's allover the state, and any publix sells them for as long as I remember. I can't speak for states in the midwest, maybe they don't have them there.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:53 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,421,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Not sure about that, they served Jamaican Beef patties in the early 90s at my school cafeteria...Maybe it is a Florida thing also, but there weren't any Jamaicans where I lived... it's allover the state, and any publix sells them for as long as I remember. I can't speak for states in the midwest, maybe they don't have them there.
Well Florida is the other area in the U.S. with tons of Jamaicans, so makes sense.

I grew up in Michigan, and have lived all over the U.S., but never heard of the Jamaican patties until I lived in NYC a few years ago.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:03 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
Well Florida is the other area in the U.S. with tons of Jamaicans, so makes sense.

I grew up in Michigan, and have lived all over the U.S., but never heard of the Jamaican patties until I lived in NYC a few years ago.
Yeah...they have Yuca/Plantains/Jamaican Patties/Pigeon Peas/Cuban Sandwiches in pretty much every publix (standard grocery store) (at least ones in Florida) and have seen them served back in middle school, I thought it was normal, guess not. lol

NY and Florida of course have close relations, despite being so far away, probably more so than any other separated states.

I know for instance they used to have Miami Subs up around NYC, might still have them.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:18 PM

37,142 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:

Well, is it native if it is popular elsewhere like say Jamaica, Philadelphia or anywhere with a sizable Jamaican or anglophone West Indian population? It's also not something that most people would identify as from NYC since it's obviously from Jamaica.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City