U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2009, 10:02 AM

7,111 posts, read 9,874,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Here's my list.

1) California
2) Texas
3) Florida
4) Massachusetts
5) either Pennsylvania or Illinois
New York is a state also not just a city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 10:03 AM

4,570 posts, read 6,535,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
New York is a state also not just a city
I forgot about NY. After California, this is pretty debatable.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:26 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,026,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Not trying to sound arrogant here, but its got to be acknowledged that Texas is an undeniable contender for the number 1 superstate. Aside from being home to the NASA space center, a ton of oil refineries AND oil companies which fuel the whole nation, a huge oil drilling state, expanding and increasingly diverse population, a leader in technical solutions (home to Texas Instruments), and the second largest agricultural producer...Its also got a couple of of those cowboys and cows (leading producer of beef) that people were mentioning earlier...lol

...now if those arent the makings of a superstate then there is no such thing as a superstate..lol

Thats not to say that other states arent great in their own right, but Texas is at least in the running for number one if the criteria as that of economic output, and scientifically innovative contributions.
Texas is a superstate, with a strong #2 spot, but it can not trump California as #1.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:44 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,220,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
Texas is a superstate, with a strong #2 spot, but it can not trump California as #1.
California seems nice from visiting, and I dont wish to diminish its contribution to the U.S. culture and economy...but I was wondering if you could expound on what might make California a superstate aside from its size and seemingly crippling population?

I ask because taking into consideration that California's economy is no longer even self sustainable nor stable, what would make it the UNDISPUTED frontrunner?...I acknowledge that it has a ton of things going for it (Hollywood, Vineyards/Agriculture, Silicon Valley, etc.)...but since those things seem to lack enough economic buoyancy to keep California's economy afloat amid this recession and amid the inflated cost of living for its residents, how can California (considering the peril that its economy is facing right now) be the undisputed top Superstate?

Last edited by solytaire; 05-30-2009 at 01:56 PM..

Old 05-30-2009, 02:02 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,806,199 times
using your criteria and focusing on the entire state and not just a city, i'd replace either IL or PA w/ North Carolina. Commerce, charlotte in banking, triangle in tech, triad in aerospace. all regions are rowing. mostly w/ ne transplants & big biz (i.e Apple) moving to the area.

Influence- i will say the state doesn't influence the country directly much, which might be a big part of why it's not been mentioned thus far. the biggest thing i can say for influence is the number of grads from the states schools that end up fortune 500 employed

lifestyle- the sate accomadates all of them. from city to country. from mountain to ocean. from suburban to urban.

tourism- the outex banks is a popular tourist destination, I've seen more obx stickers on i-95 on bos-wash than in NC. as are the appalachian, mountains. other historical places like tryon palace and biltmore.

international trade: tied to commerce

universitied: chapel hill, duke, nc state, ecu. and there are several more, public & private that are reknown in different fields.
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
What's your list of the top 5 states in the nation that can be considered "super" states in terms of commerce\ influence\ lifestyle\ tourism\ inter-national trade\ universities, etc. Not just the 5 most populous states.

My list:

1] California
2] Texas
3] New York
4] Illinois
5] Pennsylvania

Old 05-30-2009, 02:52 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,026,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
California seems nice from visiting, and I dont wish to diminish its contribution to the U.S. culture and economy...but I was wondering if you could expound on what might make California a superstate aside from its size and seemingly crippling population?

I ask because taking into consideration that California's economy is no longer even self sustainable nor stable, what would make it the UNDISPUTED frontrunner?...I acknowledge that it has a ton of things going for it (Hollywood, Vineyards/Agriculture, Silicon Valley, etc.)...but since those things seem to lack enough economic buoyancy to keep California's economy afloat amid this recession and amid the inflated cost of living for its residents, how can California (considering the peril that its economy is facing right now) be the undisputed top Superstate?
Despite California's 2008-2009 budget deficit, the state's GSP is almost as much as Texas and New York combined. California's debt trouble is real, but it's not forever. One of the main reasons for the deficit is that a substantial portion of the state income comes from income taxes on a small proportion of wealthy citizens. For example, in 2004, the richest 3% of state taxpayers paid approximately 60% of all state taxes.The taxable income of this population is highly dependent upon capital gains, which has been severely impacted by the stock market declines of this period. Once the market rebounds, which we all know it will eventually, a large portion of the budget deficit will rebound as well.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:13 AM

4,238 posts, read 5,450,000 times
1)ca
2)tx
3)ny
4)fl
5)il

Old 06-23-2009, 02:37 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,207,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
TX should probably be on everybodies list for their importance to the nation's Energy concerns. Not only that but between Midland, Houston, and Dallas probably 90% of the WORLD's tough upstream (exploration & production) hi-tech solutions are made. Countries all over the world contract for services or lease out land in production sharing contracts the oil and gasfields that they are unable to explore and produce on their own - subsalt, deep-water, arctic, sour hi-sulfer, hi-wax, overpressured, viscous/biodegraded, etc etc. Even relatively competant countries like Russia give over to us their toughtest projects.

Also, Mission Control and Astronaut Training functions for NASA are based in Houston. Should solidify that position at #1 or possibly #2 to Cali.
Texas is definitely number one. It shouldn't matter so much that CA does have a huge tech industry, some of the largest ports, agriculture, and the nations largest GDP when it's the most heavily subsidized state in the nation.

I'm not convinced CA gives more than it takes these days.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:01 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,539,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
What's your list of the top 5 states in the nation that can be considered "super" states in terms of commerce\ influence\ lifestyle\ tourism\ inter-national trade\ universities, etc. Not just the 5 most populous states.

My list:

1] California
2] Texas
3] New York
4] Illinois
5] Pennsylvania
I totally agree, but I would flip Pennsylvania with Illinois and also flip New York with Texas.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:11 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,755,285 times
This is going to be a bit unorthodox response to the question. First of all, I think that there's really only one super state in the US and that state is California. I say so because it's so important on so many fronts. From technology, to entertainment to the food we eat, the US cannot do without California.
Now, I doubt that there are other super states from my perspective. However, I do think that there are 2 super regions that are equally important and cross state lines. Those regions are: NYC (including parts of NY, NJ and CT). This region is simply too important to ignore from Business to Fashion to Culture, etc. Just the sheer amount of power in this area is astounding. Speaking of power....the DC area is another super region. Besides being the actual seat of power for the country, the amount of brain power in this metro is probably without comparison on such a large scale. The DC area obviously includes the District itself and parts of Virginia and much of Maryland.
While there are other areas of the country that are also important, I don't see them reaching the same level as the ones already discussed. If I had to create a second tier of metros or states, It would probably include: Chicago, Texas, Florida and Massachusetts. If NJ hadn't already been included in my super region of NYC, I might add it to the second tier as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or