Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2009, 07:09 PM

505 posts, read 1,386,439 times

Advertisements

I would say there are only two states that can claim to be superstates: California and Texas. They are large geographically and have huge populations with several important metropolitan areas.

New York might make the cut, but just barely, and really only because it has New York City, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 07:11 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
Remember guys, these are the most powerful states, not your favorites.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:21 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,716,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem3456 View Post
I would say there are only two states that can claim to be superstates: California and Texas. They are large geographically and have huge populations with several important metropolitan areas.

New York might make the cut, but just barely, and really only because it has New York City, in my opinion.
did you even read any of the thread? It has been displayed that NY state, outside of NYC, contributes significantly to the country.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:34 PM

763 posts, read 1,298,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Remember guys, these are the most powerful states, not your favorites.
You are correct

In that case

1) California
2) Texas
3) NY
4) Florida
5) N carolina

Old 08-10-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
did you even read any of the thread? It has been displayed that NY state, outside of NYC, contributes significantly to the country.
Do I need to read the thread? I can form my own opinion based on what the OP said. I think that New York just barely can be called a super state because without New York City, its bears a certain amount of similarity to Michigan.

No need to get defensive. Like I said, just my opinion.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:54 PM

294 posts, read 659,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
You did pretty much name them

My list

NY
CA
TX
MA
NJ

Usually coastal states.

PA and Illinois destroy MA and NJ in every single category.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Do I need to read the thread? I can form my own opinion based on what the OP said. I think that New York just barely can be called a super state because without New York City, its bears a certain amount of similarity to Michigan.

No need to get defensive. Like I said, just my opinion.
Barely? Outside of NYC, NY is an important agriculture state. It has top tourist destinations. Has Ivy league schools and top rated colleges.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Barely? Outside of NYC, NY is an important agriculture state. It has top tourist destinations. Has Ivy league schools and top rated colleges.
I wouldn't say New York is very important agriculturally. It might produce a lot of fruit and dairy, but its nothing that couldn't be grown elsewhere, unlike if we were to lose the unique fields of the Great Plains. Tourism doesn't have any bearing on making a state a super state in my mind. And New York only has one Ivy League school outside of NYC.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't say New York is very important agriculturally. It might produce a lot of fruit and dairy, but its nothing that couldn't be grown elsewhere, unlike if we were to lose the unique fields of the Great Plains. Tourism doesn't have any bearing on making a state a super state in my mind. And New York only has one Ivy League school outside of NYC.

It produces lots of fruit and dairy, more so than many other places. Its a top 5 state when it comes to fruit and dairy. It might be able to be produced in other states on that level, but its not. Tourism has bearing on it being a super state as it was a qualification in the original posting. The one ivy league school it has outside of NYC is one more than what the majority of other states have. There are also several other top rated colleges in the state.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:25 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,021,761 times
Quote:
Heres from wikipedia

Quote:
New York is a major agricultural producer, ranking among the top five states for agricultural products such as dairy, apples, cherries, cabbage, potatoes, onions, maple syrup and many others. The state is the largest producer of cabbage in the U.S. The state has about a quarter of its land in farms and produced US$3.4 billion in agricultural products in 2001. The south shore of Lake Ontario provides the right mix of soils and microclimate for many apple, cherry, plum, pear and peach orchards. Apples are also grown in the Hudson Valley and near Lake Champlain.
New York is the nation's third-largest grape-producing state, behind California, and second-largest wine producer by volume. The south shore of Lake Erie and the southern Finger Lakes hillsides have many vineyards. In addition, the North Fork of Long Island developed vineyards, production and visitors' facilities in the last three decades of the 20th century. In 2004, New York's wine and grape industry brought US$6 billion into the state economy.
The state has 30,000 acres (120 km2) of vineyards, 212 wineries, and produced 200 million bottles of wine in 2004. A moderately sized saltwater commercial fishery is located along the Atlantic side of Long Island. The principal catches by value are clams, lobsters, squid, and flounder. These areas of the economy have been increasing as environmental protection has led to an increase in ocean wildlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City