U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 05:05 PM

398 posts, read 809,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Actually having "every species of palm trees under the sun" is one reason Florida is NOT the least diverse state. Not to mention tons of other kinds of trees, plants and wildlife.

One of the few states to have coral reefs, mangrove & cypress swamps, freshwater spring caves, numerous cities, and a very, very, very long coastline are some other reasons Florida is not the least diverse state either.

Anyway, I am suprised you do not like palm trees, most people love them.
I must say that Florida is the only state I've ever been to where you can lay out on the sand, at the beach, under the canopy of a pine forest!! (in Key West) Yah, wasn't much of a forest, LOL, but it was great shade for me while working on my "Oregon Tan".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 05:07 PM

13,318 posts, read 12,990,164 times
Quote:
Actually having "every species of palm trees under the sun" is one reason Florida is NOT the least diverse state. Not to mention tons of other kinds of trees, plants and wildlife.

One of the few states to have coral reefs, mangrove & cypress swamps, freshwater spring caves, numerous cities, and a very, very, very long coastline are some other reasons Florida is not the least diverse state either.

Nice post. No one ever thinks of it that way.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Status: "Only 1 puppies of 11 left to sell." (set 9 days ago)

8,867 posts, read 4,593,896 times
I think the least diverse is Nebraska.
The most dirverse is Washington.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:27 PM

765 posts, read 1,217,875 times
Exlude all of the coastal states, on each coast and Idaho probably takes the title of the most diverse state with her vast and varied landscapes. There are roadless forested/mountainess areas in Idaho that are larger than most New England states.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:12 PM

7,852 posts, read 12,424,637 times
Quote:

Tropical foliage is some of the most diverse of all...of course year-round warm temperatures are going to make for a wider variety of flora.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:27 PM

3,269 posts, read 5,268,745 times
Texas Plains

Texas Panhandle

Guadalupe Peak

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/36/Stout_2006_GuadalupeMountains_TX.jpg/800px-Stout_2006_GuadalupeMountains_TX.jpg (broken link)
Texas hill country

Texas Swamps
http://www.greglasley.net/Images/Cypress%20Swamp%200004.jpg (broken link)
Texas Deserts

Texas Forests

Last edited by ladarron; 11-08-2009 at 08:43 PM..

Old 11-08-2009, 10:48 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,036,923 times
Quote:

I like palm trees. They don't provide much shade but they look pretty cool though.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:54 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,036,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Texas Plains

Texas Panhandle

Guadalupe Peak

Texas hill country

Texas Swamps

Texas Deserts

Texas Forests
Cool pictures! Those pictures and the many TX landscapes is why I put TX at number 2.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:50 PM

2,353 posts, read 536,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
There are a couple other states that fit under your criteria. I know Texas is one. New York may be the other although they don't have a desert.
Texas? Go west young man. Pick a west coast state. It ain't close.

Where the rain forest in Texas? Where's an Active Volcano in Texas? Where's the Ocean in Texas. (Gulf Doesn't really count) Where are the old growth Evergreens?

Old 11-09-2009, 09:59 PM

2,161 posts, read 2,375,797 times
^Why does it bother you so much?

FYI, there is an ocean because the Gulf does count and just because it doesn't have a rain forest doesn't mean it doesn't have something else those states don't have. Diversity in landscape may not always be what you find pleasing, but it is still a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City