Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate do you prefer?
Seattle 101 48.56%
Atlanta 107 51.44%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2009, 08:33 PM

571 posts, read 1,172,757 times

Advertisements

I love the weather in Seattle. Very temperate - few storms, comfortable humidity levels, and it's never too hot or too cold. It's very livable.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 09:20 PM

559 posts, read 2,115,634 times
Anywhere but WA state, i.e., Seattle! It is just too gray up here; it draws the life out of you. I would be happy to be in GA (even Atlanta) regardless of the heat and humidity. You can cool off using air conditioning, but at least the sun shines there for more than 3 months out of the year. Just my personal opinion....

Old 07-16-2009, 09:21 PM

Smile Amen!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Once again we seem to be forgetting. This is a competition of weather year round in each city. Not Seattle summer vs. Atlanta summer. When you consider the whole year you have to give it to Atlanta. And when you consider the whole year you have to say most days in Seattle look nothing like those pictures.
That is the absolute truth!!

Old 07-16-2009, 09:38 PM

Smile Well....

The pictures shown are lovely and are quite typical for a Seattle summer, namely July 5 through mid October.

However, Seattle is awfully, awfully, awfully gray and damp and miserable to a lot of us the other 9 months of the year. No one ever seems to show pictures of people (not the water or mountains but actual people) outdoors in Seattle in November through March?

There's a reason; people are out and about with their hoods up usually not smiling too much. It is a fact that depression is much more common up here in the Pacific NW because of the lack of sunshine.

It's all about what each individual person likes or doesn't like. I personally revere the sunshine of Atlanta--without minding the heat or humidity--a whole lot more than the gray skies and rain, rain, rain--however drizzly it may be--of Seattle.

Each of us to his own....

Old 07-17-2009, 01:01 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,236,297 times
BCK before I moved to Seattle I would always read on different forums how dreary Seattle is 9 months a year. I honestly believed that Seattle was this dreary, cold, rainy, awful city just by listening to people like yourself. I remember the day I left Baltimore/Washington International airport it was 15 degrees and the wind was blowing about 35mph and this was in January. When my mother and I landed at SeaTac and got off the plane we thought we were in heaven. It was about 48, partly cloudy and everything was green. We even saw flowers in pots around town. We saw people sitting outside at coffee shops everywhere. Nothing like the winters of my east coast days. From what I'm use to I find Seattle's falls and winters quite pleasant. And yes I post pictures year around so its not all about perfect weather and sunshine in Seattle. I just don't take pictures when there's a hard rain. My camera is too prestious. That's all.
Nov08

Jan09

Old 07-17-2009, 02:10 AM

I understand about your camera. Again your pictures are lovely, but it would be nice if someone posted pictures of a typical dreary, gray, drizzly day some time, just so people could get an idea of what that weather can look like. There are a lot of people who have never been to this area, and it might be helpful for them, that's all. Not all of us can tolerate the gray skies; for those who can, this is the right place, but for those who can't, forewarned is forearmed.... :-)

Old 07-17-2009, 07:13 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,318,092 times
Although the cloudy weather for the extended period of time would get to me, the constant greenery year round, as well as the sight of water and mountains, helps to counteract the dreariness.

...also a quick drive over the Cascades into the desert--or an even quicker ferry ride across the Sound to Sequim--is a great way to escape to sunshine if the dreariness gets you down.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:37 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,596,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightcopperkettles View Post
The pictures shown are lovely and are quite typical for a Seattle summer, namely July 5 through mid October.

However, Seattle is awfully, awfully, awfully gray and damp and miserable to a lot of us the other 9 months of the year. No one ever seems to show pictures of people (not the water or mountains but actual people) outdoors in Seattle in November through March?

There's a reason; people are out and about with their hoods up usually not smiling too much. It is a fact that depression is much more common up here in the Pacific NW because of the lack of sunshine.

It's all about what each individual person likes or doesn't like. I personally revere the sunshine of Atlanta--without minding the heat or humidity--a whole lot more than the gray skies and rain, rain, rain--however drizzly it may be--of Seattle.

Each of us to his own....
Some years the weather doesn't turn until after the 4th of July, some years it gets better earlier...This year, summer arrived in May (with the exception of a couple of weeks in June). I distinctly remember laying out under the blue sky for fireworks in my shorts and tee-shirt on the 4th.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:53 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
I would choose seattle's weather cause I am kinda tired of all the heat in southern California these past couple of weeks, plus rain means it's green all the time and you get to cuddle up. Anyone likes hot chocolate.
I don't know about L.A. but Atlanta recieves enough rain to be green year round as well. Both Atlanta and Seattle have plenty of Evergreen trees that are green year round. Atlanta also has trees that loose their leaves during the fall and thereafter are not green. Grass may be a different story however. Not because it gets too dry for the grass to be green in Atlanta but because most of Atlanta has a variety of grass that goes dormant in the colder winter time and thus turns brown.

Honestly though, I believe Seattle is doing well because many people in the country right now are tired of hot weather in their part of the country. Give the same poll in Winter or early Spring when many through out the country are tired of being cooped up in the house for weeks or months of cold dreary weather and they would definitely not be voting for Seattle. A relatively warm and sunny Atlanta would be looking really good to them after cabin fever sets in. (And believe me it really does in the Northeast and Midwest).

Last edited by Galounger; 07-17-2009 at 11:10 AM..

Old 07-17-2009, 11:04 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,575,213 times
Seattle. I just don't do humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City