U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 06:11 PM

46 posts, read 24,099 times
When I moved from HSV to Bham (Homewood), I got terrible allergies in the morning. HSV is no picnic for allergies, but I guess I outgrew my pollen allergies.

Since the heavy industries have left Bham, it must be the car smog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 07:51 PM

1,878 posts, read 1,567,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVbulldawg View Post
It depends. If you want outdoor activities, I think you would find more within a day trip (and more people to go with) in Huntsville. Also, having shopped a lot in both Bham and Huntsville, I think the shopping (quality of stores) is better here, although there might be a better variety in Bham. If you want to go out to bars, Bham is the place. Bham also has better/more restaurants. I think there are far more single guys than girls in Huntsville (due to high concentration of engineers) while the ratio is probably more balanced in Birmingham.
As an "expert" on the shopping in both (you've gotta trust me on this, I am!) I will tell you there is NO WAY Huntsville is better in any way shopping wise. BHM has every thing HSV has and much more except an H&M. That's all we got over Birmingham, and that ain't much.

I love Huntsville, but there is so much more to do and so much more going on in Birmingham, especially for someone your age. From shopping, to restaurants, to nightlife.....BHM has more going on times 10.

I guess if you found a much better job in HSV that would be one thing, but overall you would probably enjoy Birmingham much better. When I go visit my mom I'm literally trying to cram in every single place I want to go that we unfortunately don't have here

Personally, if I was young and just out of college, I would look at Nashville, Charlotte, or Charleston SC.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:17 PM

4,419 posts, read 3,029,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan25678 View Post
When I moved from HSV to Bham (Homewood), I got terrible allergies in the morning. HSV is no picnic for allergies, but I guess I outgrew my pollen allergies.

Since the heavy industries have left Bham, it must be the car smog.
It's been reduced, but it hasn't all gone. Fairfield works, Tarrant works, us steel, and acipco are still here and burning.

This thread is old and was bumped by the recent troll attack BTW.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:50 PM

1,342 posts, read 804,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
This thread is old and was bumped by the recent troll attack BTW.
Yeah, but it's a pretty good thread.

My mind has never really gotten around what Birmingham was like as a whole. I know the stadium that I've seen some concerts at. I know the medical place (that I can't remeber the name) that we take my mother-in-law to every three months. I know the way it looks from the interstates, but I don't feel I've ever really been in Birmingham proper. I don't know the feel of the city.

All I know is they have some very nice areas and some very crap areas. And one of the exits on I-59 goes to the left rather than the right. (I think it's 59)

Old 02-23-2014, 11:06 PM

1,358 posts, read 604,801 times
"some very nice areas, and some very crap areas".

That just about sums up every place in the world. Or, at least I can say for sure, every place in the world I have been.

raj

Old 02-24-2014, 04:45 AM

4,419 posts, read 3,029,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post
Yeah, but it's a pretty good thread.

My mind has never really gotten around what Birmingham was like as a whole. I know the stadium that I've seen some concerts at. I know the medical place (that I can't remeber the name) that we take my mother-in-law to every three months. I know the way it looks from the interstates, but I don't feel I've ever really been in Birmingham proper. I don't know the feel of the city.

All I know is they have some very nice areas and some very crap areas. And one of the exits on I-59 goes to the left rather than the right. (I think it's 59)
Downtown and the southside have plenty to offer now in the form of music, bars, clubs and nightlife for all types of people. So you are missing out if you've never been to 5 points south, lakeview, and now Parkside and very soon uptown.

Ha ha. Yes left hand exits are rare and that one causes a bottleneck during morning rush. I think it will be engineered out when they redo that section. It is referred to as 20/59 pronounced "twenty fifty-nine" because the two interstates become one as they go through downtown. It gets hairy through there because before that you have dead man's curve where those two come together then people start going fast again and then boom suddenly the gast lane is exit only and people start bailing out to the right as traffic quickly stacks up to a halt when the off ramp fills up. Good times.

But yeah. Good and bad areas is common for all cities.

Last edited by Tourian; 02-24-2014 at 04:53 AM..

Old 02-26-2014, 08:09 AM

37 posts, read 14,161 times
I agree Birmingham is superior on all fronts except jobs. For me, it is easier to find a better paying job in Huntsville because of more opportunities with a much smaller population.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:54 AM

523 posts, read 155,843 times
Birmingham, at least in the nice areas, are better than Huntsville. They've got better shopping and nightlife if one is in to that. Conversely, the worst parts of Bham are much worse than the worst parts of Huntsville.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:59 AM

1,358 posts, read 604,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
Birmingham, at least in the nice areas, are better than Huntsville. They've got better shopping and nightlife if one is in to that. Conversely, the worst parts of Bham are much worse than the worst parts of Huntsville.

Unfortunately that is a fact that comes with growth. I remember when Madison County did not have all the prostitution and drug addicts along hwy72 and north Huntsville. Also, from what I have seen and read Madison Square is already ghetto. Once that change is made it usually is a lost cause except for tearing down and re-imagining. Then it is still hard to draw some people back.

In years to come as Madison County gets larger it too will experience more ghetto. It is just a given in larger cities.

Birmingham has an advantage over so many cities in that the terrain creates natural boundaries between the good areas and the bad. One can live here and never see or feel the effects of such areas.

raj

Old 02-27-2014, 08:10 AM

523 posts, read 155,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
Unfortunately that is a fact that comes with growth. I remember when Madison County did not have all the prostitution and drug addicts along hwy72 and north Huntsville. Also, from what I have seen and read Madison Square is already ghetto. Once that change is made it usually is a lost cause except for tearing down and re-imagining. Then it is still hard to draw some people back.

In years to come as Madison County gets larger it too will experience more ghetto. It is just a given in larger cities.

Birmingham has an advantage over so many cities in that the terrain creates natural boundaries between the good areas and the bad. One can live here and never see or feel the effects of such areas.

raj
I was very suprised when I first visited the BJCC back in December about how "ghetto" it is around that area of town. I was taken back by it. Most of the larger cities in the south I have visited, the downtown civic centers and arenas are typically in nice areas.

One of the things I things that stick out to me more about Birmingham is the overall poverty, even in some of the metro areas of Birmingham. I suppose this is in part due to large amounts of factories and plants shutting down over the years.

Hunstville has been fairly lucky over the years with lots of lower tiered service oriented jobs filling in where factory or skilled labor positions haven't existed. I'm don't know if the same goes for Birmingham.

Getting to Huntsville specifically, the thing I noticed the most when moving from Jacksonville was the huge gap in income between many people. In Jacksonville, FL where I grew up, the number of people who had jobs at the time over 80K a year was few and far between on average. With all the engineers here, there are many people making 6 digits a year. Outside of engineering, there isn't as much going on that fills in the gap at or around 50K a year on average. The only saving grace I think for Huntsville is the addition of many of the call centers in the last few years, where some folks can make 35-40K a year with limited education or experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City