Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 04:30 AM

5 posts, read 25,805 times

Advertisements

Sure, LA has some superficial people. But as a whole, this state has the most intelligent, interesting, creative, unique people. New York is a great city but the people don't compare to people in California.

NYC is full of sports-loving drones. Cali is full of original people, especially the bay area. People who take pride in being individuals, people who aren't interested in TV and all that sensationalist garbage.

In California you can meet people who are truly liberal, who want to change the world, who actually have *soul* unlike the clones back east. I'm from Virginia originally...The West Coast is definitely where it's at if you're someone who has character and integrity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 05:56 AM

20 posts, read 34,005 times
i will agree somewhat, especially concerning native new yorkers. people make me chuckle out loud when they consider new york to be liberal? even the minorities are stiff as%$# here.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:56 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,478,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondsinclair View Post
Sure, LA has some superficial people. But as a whole, this state has the most intelligent, interesting, creative, unique people. New York is a great city but the people don't compare to people in California.

NYC is full of sports-loving drones. Cali is full of original people, especially the bay area. People who take pride in being individuals, people who aren't interested in TV and all that sensationalist garbage.

In California you can meet people who are truly liberal, who want to change the world, who actually have *soul* unlike the clones back east. I'm from Virginia originally...The West Coast is definitely where it's at if you're someone who has character and integrity.
LA and SF will ALWAYS be the red headed step child when compared to NYC

Old 05-03-2009, 06:51 AM

9,241 posts, read 24,012,111 times
More enlightened ? Having elected Arnold Schwarzenegger their governor ? Having just passed proposition 8? Please.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:43 AM

55 posts, read 210,263 times
Prop 8 barely passed. And I hate to say it, but a large majority of religious African-Americans who came out to vote for Obama were told by their pastors to vote yes. Otherwise, it wouldnt have even come close to passing. The point is not to slander African-Americans, but to point out that there was a disproportionate number of religious voters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
More enlightened ? Having elected Arnold Schwarzenegger their governor ? Having just passed proposition 8? Please.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:50 AM

9,241 posts, read 24,012,111 times
Doesn't matter that it passed by a small amount.It passed. And that says a lot about the dominant mentality of the state.
And what's the excuse for electing a bimbo like Schwarzenegger ?
The truth is that once outside of the San Francisco area, California has never exhibited too many signs of enlightenment.

And there are only 2 states that have always,consistently displayed a sense of enlightenment throughout the state( not just in the cities) : Massachusetts and Vermont

Old 05-03-2009, 09:34 AM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,968,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondsinclair View Post
But as a whole, this state has the most intelligent, interesting, creative, unique people. New York is a great city but the people don't compare to people in California.
Wow. How much of California have you actually been to? Having been to almost every inch of that state multiple times, I can tell you without hesitation or reserve that a vast majority of California is exactly as redneck and backwards as the fly over country states they can't wait to make fun of.

Go spend a week in Bakersfield or Fresno or Modesto or Redding or Truckee and come back and tell me with a straight face that "as a whole" California is interesting, creative, and unique. Some of the smallest minded red-butt baboons I've ever met were in California.

You could argue that SF is more enlightened than NYC and I'd probably agree with you. But California as a whole? Laughable.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:39 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,490,175 times
this thread is garbage

Old 05-03-2009, 09:44 AM

11,261 posts, read 18,787,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Doesn't matter that it passed by a small amount.It passed. And that says a lot about the dominant mentality of the state.
And what's the excuse for electing a bimbo like Schwarzenegger ?
The truth is that once outside of the San Francisco area, California has never exhibited too many signs of enlightenment.

And there are only 2 states that have always,consistently displayed a sense of enlightenment throughout the state( not just in the cities) : Massachusetts and Vermont
I think a lot of VT's enlightenment is in the Burlington area (whose metro is 1/3 of the state's small population) and the many transplants from the Boston and NYC areas (most notably in the latter Bernie Sanders and "Ben and Jerry").

Old 05-03-2009, 10:27 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,901,118 times
California and it's residents are "chill" but I wouldn't call them 'enlightened'

To put it simply, the populous of California is probably the most ignorant line-up of people in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City