U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 08:21 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,973 posts, read 41,773,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
What do u mean more of an authentic Chinatown? SFs is all Chinese people, it just happens to draw tons of tourists.
Some of San Francisco's Chinatown businesses are geared for tourists. And the decor isn't authentic. Even the decor is there to attract tourists:

The Great Quake: 1906-2006 / Out of chaos came new Chinese America - SFGate

The Flushing, NY Chinatown isn't really catered for tourists at all, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 08:45 AM

12,391 posts, read 24,499,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I think the best kind of urbanity is found in Paris or Tokyo. For Paris, it's mostly 4-6 story highrises with a few skycrapers districts. For Tokyo, it's mostly 4-8 story highrises with a ton of skyscraper downtowns, but it just feels so large because it's never ending....it's not like Manhattan where it's only 2 miles wide. It's literally never ending in almost every direction. Tokyo reminds me of an ultra dense and walkable Los Angeles: Several nodal downtowns or CBDs and sprawling, but Tokyo is a very dense sprawl.
Those aren't high rises though. Per emporis

A high-rise building is a structure whose architectural height is between 35 and 100 meters. A structure is automatically listed as a high-rise when it has a minimum of 12 floors, whether or not the height is known. If it has fewer than 40 floors and the height is unknown, it is also classified automatically as a high-rise.

However, the area between Midtown and Lower Manhattan has a lot of area like this, and this style extends into the Bronx and Brooklyn and Queens. The Brooklyn Bridge is only like 10 blocks to go over and if you are taking the subway from either it is a seamless transition.

If this wouldn't happen, you might not see that density, Manhattan is denser than the cores of Tokyo and Paris.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:23 PM

588 posts, read 681,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
SF also has a notable Iraqi population - distinguishing it from most.
Really??? I'm Arab American and was raised in SF- I've literally met one Iraqi family in my life out here. Maybe these Iraqis are very new immigrants. San Francisco has a huge Palestinian population and a good amount of Syrians, Lebanese and Egyptians, but I don't think any considerable Iraqi population.

Detroit and Chicago have large Iraqi populations though- more-so Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or