U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 04:16 PM

105 posts, read 333,580 times

Advertisements

California really is 2 different states. North of SLO (about 14 million people), especially the Bay Area (7.5 million) is generally a very enlightened, progressive population. Hence, why Cali has a reputation of being a progressive state.

On the whole, more progressive and intellectual than NY State.

But south of SLO (LA, SD, Orange County, inland empire) is an intellectual wasteland comparable to Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 04:24 PM

55 posts, read 185,114 times
That makes sense to me. Although NorCal is a lot more pretentious than NY State.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntremaine View Post
California really is 2 different states. North of SLO (about 14 million people), especially the Bay Area (7.5 million) is generally a very enlightened, progressive population. Hence, why Cali has a reputation of being a progressive state.

On the whole, more progressive and intellectual than NY State.

But south of SLO (LA, SD, Orange County, inland empire) is an intellectual wasteland comparable to Florida.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:29 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,295,962 times
Northern California being more enlightened than southern cal (being educated myself I find this to mean informed about various facts vs indentifying with a political ideology) is largley a myth.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:33 PM

969 posts, read 2,605,973 times
Progressive = liberal. Now that's intellectually DISHONEST not to call it what it is.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:36 PM

I disagree completely and Ive lived in both areas. LA certainly has many intellectual, enlightened people. But as a whole the culture there is pretty superficial. SD is beautiful but shallow. OC and Inland Empire, IMO, are unbelievably shallow.

But the Bay Area, far Northern Cali, and the central coast North of Santa Barbara (that would be my cutoff line) seems to generally have a more enlightened, self-reflective, intellectually curious population.

(
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Northern California being more enlightened than southern cal (being educated myself I find this to mean informed about various facts vs indentifying with a political ideology) is largley a myth.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:52 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,295,962 times
If you don't think the Bay Area is shallow I'd suggest opening your eyes and and ears.
Furthermore once you leave the bay area northern and north central california become incredibly provincial/parochial.

Most of the people in Sf aren't even from Sf and never stay more than a few years in Sf. Tons of transplants trying to play the part of what they think a Native San Fransiscan is. Which unfortunately gives the area a negative stereotype.

One of Sf's biggest pitfalls is that people really don't seem to understand just how irrelevant the city is on a global and national scale . I think that's why the city always gives off a "look at us" vibe. It is a city totally dependent on tourism as it's main industry and that's what more or less keeps the city a float. That's why they are always trying to gain attention (loonly laws, open vice, fringe liberal politics).

The east bay like the rest of the old manufacturing towns is in a dire situation.

Virtually all of the Sf bay area's relevance revolves around silicon valley, corporate and industrial and it is more or less what is holding and has been holding the region together. It is no secret the San Fransisco 49ers football team and the Oakland A's baseball team have been courting Santa Clara/ San Jose for quite some time. There is a reason for this. That is where the real money, intellect, and venture capitalism is out there.

Sacramento is no cup of tea, highest unemployment out of the "big 4 regions" in california, as that town revloves around government and up until 2 years ago, real estate. Yea real smart.

End Rant.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:46 PM

Its been pointed out time and time again how influential the Bay Area has been culturally. It is also the largest financial center on the west coast. And as you mentioned, technology innovation has come from Silicon Valley

Far more influential than Chicago. Heck, Id even say a provincial city like Seattle has been more influential than Chicago.

Quote:
If you don't think the Bay Area is shallow I'd suggest opening your eyes and and ears.
Furthermore once you leave the bay area northern and north central california become incredibly provincial/parochial.

Most of the people in Sf aren't even from Sf and never stay more than a few years in Sf. Tons of transplants trying to play the part of what they think a Native San Fransiscan is. Which unfortunately gives the area a negative stereotype.

One of Sf's biggest pitfalls is that people really don't seem to understand just how irrelevant the city is on a global and national scale . I think that's why the city always gives off a "look at us" vibe. It is a city totally dependent on tourism as it's main industry and that's what more or less keeps the city a float. That's why they are always trying to gain attention (loonly laws, open vice, fringe liberal politics).

The east bay like the rest of the old manufacturing towns is in a dire situation.

Virtually all of the Sf bay area's relevance revolves around silicon valley, corporate and industrial and it is more or less what is holding and has been holding the region together. It is no secret the San Fransisco 49ers football team and the Oakland A's baseball team have been courting Santa Clara/ San Jose for quite some time. There is a reason for this. That is where the real money, intellect, and venture capitalism is out there.

Sacramento is no cup of tea, highest unemployment out of the "big 4 regions" in california, as that town revloves around government and up until 2 years ago, real estate. Yea real smart.

End Rant.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:23 PM

250 posts, read 182,630 times
Quote:

End Rant.
funny. wrong and inaccurate, but funny.
because the suburbs of fremont, newark, UC, Walnut Creek, Pleasanton, Hercules, Dublin etc are all in squalor.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:37 PM

32,353 posts, read 55,157,123 times
Quote:
Flattery will go you nowhere.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:45 PM

4,852 posts, read 8,992,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
Progressive = liberal. Now that's intellectually DISHONEST not to call it what it is.
Same with Conservative = Wingnut. Seriously Obama (Pelosi, and most Dems) are liberals while Kucinich and Sanders are progressives. The difference? Liberals cave into Conservatives' whining and blackmail (public option now degenerating into co-ops and will degenerate into mandates) while Progressives stand their ground (Single-payer only; No more, no less!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or