Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SF vs Chic
San Francisco 161 40.97%
Chicago 232 59.03%
Voters: 393. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 08:14 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,495,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Yeah mid 70's to low 80's by the end of April is terribly cold as is the mid 70's you've had all week. 60's in March is tough as well

You don't get around much do you? I have heard that same exact saying in every one of the 47 States I have been to regarding the weather there. As well as all over Canada they say the same thing.

You right about one thing at least here, it does tend to be cloudy in the winter. Cold? Not really compared to the rest of the region; Long - Not really. Far from the 7 months you claim. anybody with internet access and half a brain can see you are stretching that one a lot. A quick check on any number of weather sites will disprove that claim.
Actually 2007-2008 chicago went about 185 days in a row without ever hitting 70 degrees. And in the same time never went more than 2-3 days in a row without precipitation. I know, I was there...Your own local news channels were talking about it come april when "spring didn't come"
If you work typical 8-5 hours, and you get some bad weekends, you might not ever see sunlight for weeks at a time in jan-feb
I remember it being dark when I would go to work and dark again before getting off.
After 3 winters there I left, was not worth it... 90% of the reason I left Chicago was the absymal weather.
I have seen it go from 45 in the day to -10 that night if a front comes through.
I thought SAD and Cabin Fever were made up disorders until living there, its real.
Chicago may be a lot of things but it absolutely does not have good weather.

Last edited by grapico; 05-09-2009 at 08:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 08:56 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,742,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Most of population goes into hybernation, depression, apathy.
That's just the baleful effect of your presence. Go back to the Greyhound station and jump back on the bus that brought you in and all will be well.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:27 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,094 times
Default mas3's ignorance award 2009!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurous1 View Post
Ridiculous comparison.

When making the daily drive from underground pkng garage in San Francisco en route to the estate in Woodside, one can't help but feel sorry for the blue-collar poors in Chicago slipping and sliding on the terribly icy third-world roads while I safely steer my high perf. Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG or Ferrari 599GTB on scenic 280 route while having phone conf. w/ peers at offices in New York/London.

Would argue that San Francisco/Woodside (along with Manhattan/Greenwich) collective IQ is 10X that of Chicago. SF/Woodside/Manhattan/Greenwich boasts some of the world's brightest/most enlightened/$1mm+ per/yr earning populace in the entire world while aspirationals from big midwestern dump universities/Ohio State/community college end up in Chic.

Would also argue that SF boasts the highest QOL on the Western Hemisphere. SF/Woodside is an exclusive club; would hope that CA's current economic collapse/housing crisis will further cleanse unwashed underachievers out of the area and into dumps like Illinois/Arizona/Houston/Podunk as us tax-payers in the top 1% see the poors as nothing more than a great tax burden/waste of space.
WOW! I nomnate this man for taking home the award. This takes the cake for being the most shallow post I've seen in my 2.5 months on c-d!
For yr info those "blue collard poors" work hard for their money. Im insulted to tell you the truth. Elitist bourgeois type of stuff like this pisses me off. U obviously dont keep up wih the news. Alot of people are suffering right now and this shows how oblivious and ignorant some people are. Who the hell uses th word "poors" any way.

but on the bright side u take home an award
give this man a hand!!!

Last edited by mas23; 05-09-2009 at 09:35 AM..

Old 05-09-2009, 09:44 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,136,731 times
Coming from CA and living in Milwaukee (which we all know has pretty much the same weather as Chicago), I would say winter here lasts from mid to late November all the way until mid-April. So 6 months. The weather isn't good on a consistent basis until mid-May through mid to late October. So 6 months good weather, and 6 months cold weather (note I didn't say bad, because Nov and Dec are bearable and actually quite nice when the snow season is just starting out). Jan through mid April can get pretty crappy though.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:43 AM

633 posts, read 1,441,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
WOW! I nomnate this man for taking home the award. This takes the cake for being the most shallow post I've seen in my 2.5 months on c-d!
For yr info those "blue collard poors" work hard for their money. Im insulted to tell you the truth. Elitist bourgeois type of stuff like this pisses me off. U obviously dont keep up wih the news. Alot of people are suffering right now and this shows how oblivious and ignorant some people are. Who the hell uses th word "poors" any way.

but on the bright side u take home an award
give this man a hand!!!
Hey, don't get to upset. Eurous is Dementor. He is 12 years old, and lives in White Plains, NY (NOT NYC). He just says stuff like that to **** you off. He is just a kid. He's not in any tax bracket--let alone the top 1%.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
Coming from CA and living in Milwaukee (which we all know has pretty much the same weather as Chicago), I would say winter here lasts from mid to late November all the way until mid-April. So 6 months. The weather isn't good on a consistent basis until mid-May through mid to late October. So 6 months good weather, and 6 months cold weather (note I didn't say bad, because Nov and Dec are bearable and actually quite nice when the snow season is just starting out). Jan through mid April can get pretty crappy though.
Yeah I felt the same way moving from a better climate to Chicago...and as I said, 6 months of what most people in any other region outside of the upper midwest consider winter conditions. I think living in LA vs. Chicago you gain about 3-4 months worth of enjoyable days per year. Again, Chicago is a lot of things, but weather it is up there with worst in the country by most peoples standards. The Forbes list put Chicago 3rd worst major city in the u.s. for weather with flint michigan and detroit. It is the inland heating and cooling effect, the weather isn't moderated by the oceans nor is it protected by mountains like Denver where those arctic high pressure systems can come down with nothing to stop them and stay there for awhile. add to that the giant lake which increases the cold wind chill. I also agree Nov and December are just "cold" but jan-april are plain nasty, esp when city of chicago salts the streets and there is dirty snow, and slush everywhere, frozen roads, etc. It ruined several pairs of dress pants and dress shoes from the snow and salt.

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thum...cago-river.jpg
http://www.uncommonphotographers.net/wp-content/images/frozen8.jpg (broken link)
http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/p...m/18220529.jpg

when it looks like this...mmm I'd say its pretty cold.
It takes a lot of cold days in a row to freeze a flowing river over or swaths of the lake.

Last edited by grapico; 05-09-2009 at 11:12 AM..

Old 05-09-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Yeah I felt the same way moving from a better climate to Chicago...and as I said, 6 months of what most people in any other region outside of the upper midwest consider winter conditions. I think living in LA vs. Chicago you gain about 3-4 months worth of enjoyable days per year. Again, Chicago is a lot of things, but weather it is up there with worst in the country by most peoples standards. The Forbes list put Chicago 3rd worst major city in the u.s. for weather with flint michigan and detroit. It is the inland heating and cooling effect, the weather isn't moderated by the oceans nor is it protected by mountains like Denver where those arctic high pressure systems can come down with nothing to stop them and stay there for awhile. add to that the giant lake which increases the cold wind chill. I also agree Nov and December are just "cold" but jan-april are plain nasty, esp when city of chicago salts the streets and there is dirty snow, and slush everywhere, frozen roads, etc. It ruined several pairs of dress pants and dress shoes from the snow and salt.

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thum...cago-river.jpg
http://www.uncommonphotographers.net/wp-content/images/frozen8.jpg (broken link)
http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/p...m/18220529.jpg

when it looks like this...mmm I'd say its pretty cold.
It takes a lot of cold days in a row to freeze a flowing river over or swaths of the lake.

Yeah, it's bitter cold. That's the price we pay for living in such a great city (I always say). Anyway, thanks for posting those pics. Don't they make Chicago look awesome?

Old 05-09-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
Yeah, it's bitter cold. That's the price we pay for living in such a great city (I always say). Anyway, thanks for posting those pics. Don't they make Chicago look awesome?
True, it does bring the COL down.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
True, it does bring the COL down.
Right! Chicago came in with the 53rd best COL out of 100 major cities in the US!

NYC was 77th. San Francisco was 98th (2nd from the highest cost of living). Nashville and New Orleans were ranked better than Chicago in COL (which doesn't support the theory of colder weather-->better cost of living).

Old 05-09-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
Right! Chicago came in with the 53rd best COL out of 100 major cities in the US!

NYC was 77th. San Francisco was 98th (2nd from the highest cost of living). Nashville and New Orleans were ranked better than Chicago in COL (which doesn't support the theory of colder weather-->better cost of living).
yeah but chicago has better qol than nashville and n.o. imo... probably the best col/qol ratio in the u.s. nashville and new orleans aren't even on chicago's radar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City