U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SF vs Chic
San Francisco 157 41.21%
Chicago 224 58.79%
Voters: 381. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-2009, 10:34 PM

0 posts, read 1,344,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
who the hell is DYING in Chicago from being in a snowstorm?? We don't live in tents, lol

Who is Europe is dying from drinking water directly out of the North Sea?
CAR ACCIDENTS.

Duh.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 10:46 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,900,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwo85 View Post
If San Fransisco did not have any Earthquakes, I would love to live there.
Chicago really doesn't have any major natural disasters, so Chicago is a place I would like to live.
No it does not but Chicago itself is a major natural disaster.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:17 AM

12,391 posts, read 24,493,959 times
depends what you want...

if you lean more to liking outdoor stuff...San Fran... if you lean more to liking city stuff, Chicago.

Chicago still has more blue collar roots. SF is more white collar.

Chicagos weather and location kill it for a lot of people, but if your family and friends are in the midwest, it is a no brainer.

While the CITY offered a ton to do while living there, there wasn't much outside the city that would interest me outside of a trip to ohare or midway. not many interesting towns or other cities I'd like to visit like you find in the BOS-Wash corridor IMO... most to me were like one time seen it, don't need to go back, where as Philly, Boston, DC, NYC I would go multiple times. Same thing with the bay area cities or ones that will be very close visits after high speed rail is in.

Chicago has a better nightlife and better transportation though as well as lower COL for most people, but maybe some higher end jobs at the top of the "ladder" out in SF.

The weather is much more comfortable and mild in SF... the weather in Chicago is very wide range from blistering cold to hot and humid. 4 seasons.

If you like the ocean, as much as Chicago people sometimes say, the lake is not a replacement imo.

Chicago has better museums. Chicago is a better sports town.

You can ditch the car in either city. Lots of ethnic and good upscale to street food in either city.

Chicago has the south and west side bad areas... SF has parts of Oakland and the Tenderloin. I think the ghettos in Chicago are worse however...

SF events are spread out around the year for the most part, Chicago crams most of the "fun stuff" May-September.

I think they are both top 5 cities in quality of life if you are a city person in the U.S.

Last edited by grapico; 05-06-2009 at 09:33 AM..

Old 05-06-2009, 09:31 AM

6,628 posts, read 12,473,283 times
I love both of these cities and would happily live in either. I'd probably choose San Francisco just because it has better weather. It's also often referred to being a "Boston of the West Coast", which obviously appeals to me. The mountains surrounding SF and the Bay Area in general is beautiful, so that helps too.

Chicago is gorgeous though too, and I'd love to live in that beautiful sea of skyscrapers

Old 05-06-2009, 09:40 AM

5,522 posts, read 12,262,534 times
Sorry to be such a stick in the mud, but to me COL is a major factor. Simply put, being a physician in California kinda sucks compared to Illinois from a financial perspective. I would rather have a milder climate, be close to the ocean, yada, yada, but I'm not willing to take a huge cut in pay and a significant increase in housing prices, income tax, etc to live there.

I think (in general) a lot of these city-versus-city threads severely underappreciate the importance of COL.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:43 AM

12,391 posts, read 24,493,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Sorry to be such a stick in the mud, but to me COL is a major factor. Simply put, being a physician in California kinda sucks compared to Illinois from a financial perspective. I would rather have a milder climate, be close to the ocean, yada, yada, but I'm not willing to take a huge cut in pay and a significant increase in housing prices, income tax, etc to live there.

I think (in general) a lot of these city-versus-city threads severely underappreciate the importance of COL.
There is definitely a cost of living premium on everyday life factored into the amenities SF offers (weather/outdoors/scenery), just like there is cost factored in to the amenities NYC offers(big city/top of the world/museums/etc)... that is a choice people will have to make for sure... better climate everyday and more enjoyable days? Or more money in the bank. If you have a big family or kids, that changes everything...though when thinking about it I think single people or empty nesters might be better off in LA/SF/NYC as far as how much life they are living.
Dec-Feb for me in Chicago were pretty much just wasted months for me while living there, (I like doing stuff outdoors)

Old 05-06-2009, 09:49 AM

5,618 posts, read 7,413,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
who the hell is DYING in Chicago from being in a snowstorm?? We don't live in tents, lol

Who is Europe is dying from drinking water directly out of the North Sea?
I think the summer heatwaves kill just as many people in Chicago.

I think both cities are equal in quality, but in different ways. Having lived in Chicago and visited San Francisco many times, I'd prefer San Francisco.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:58 AM

10,238 posts, read 18,701,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Dec-Feb for me in Chicago were pretty much just wasted months for me while living there, (I like doing stuff outdoors)
Man I found plenty to do outdoors during Chicago winters. We called it "work".

Old 05-06-2009, 10:01 AM

5,522 posts, read 12,262,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
There is definitely a cost of living premium on everyday life factored into the amenities SF offers (weather/outdoors/scenery), just like there is cost factored in to the amenities NYC offers(big city/top of the world/museums/etc)... that is a choice people will have to make for sure... better climate everyday and more enjoyable days? Or more money in the bank. If you have a big family or kids, that changes everything...though when thinking about it I think single people or empty nesters might be better off in LA/SF/NYC as far as how much life they are living.
Yeah, I agree. It makes more sense to live in a high COL city like NYC when you are young, because living in a shoe box is tolerable when you are 25. Much less so when you are 35 with a wife and kid(s).

That being said, if I suddenly inherit 100 million dollars, I would definitely consider moving to NYC.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:04 AM

10,238 posts, read 18,701,065 times
Speaking of work does San Francisco have any "regular guy" working class neighborhoods? I get the impression it doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City