Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SF vs Chic
San Francisco 161 40.97%
Chicago 232 59.03%
Voters: 393. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 01:42 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
1) This isn't going in Grant Park
2) This isn't a Star Wars museum. You clearly haven't a clue of what you're talking about here. Anybody who thinks this is a Star Wars museum hasn't done their homework and/or doesn't know how to read.
You're just being argumentative here. I know the Museum Campus isn't technically Grant Park, but it's the exact same thing in terms of public impact.

And yeah, it's a Star Wars Museum. George Lucas is known for one thing only, and it's Star Wars. If there were no Star Wars, there would be no museum, and no interest in anything related to George Lucas.

It's like if there were a JK Rowling Museum, and you were trying to convince everyone it was unrelated to Harry Potter. Obviously this will be a Star Wars Museum just like a JK Rowling Museum will be a Harry Potter Museum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 01:45 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,949,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Right, no other city has festivals in its public parks and spaces.

I'm curious as to where we have enough private space to hold a festival attended by several hundred thousand people.
Well...you could have it in one of the big parks (Washington Park, Humboldt Park, Marquette Park, Garfield Park, etc) and in fact some festivals have been held in these locations. Of course none of these areas are anywhere equal to Grant Park in terms of access to public transit, plus some of them are in sorta sketchy neighborhoods..

Old 06-25-2014, 01:45 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
I agree about the ordinance, but the main point of the ordinance was to block ****ty private investment from crapping the lakefront. It was to block something like a big shopping mall from being built, for example. However, this is a museum, a cultural institution. It's going to provide the city billions of dollars, potentially, in revenue. It's far from what they were trying to block against.
The ordinance has no such caveats and the government has no business making the value judgments enumerated above to justify violating its own laws. This proposal is a permanent private development on public space and it doesn't belong there, period. Especially if the public is expected to give away the very premium land to put it on.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:46 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
You're just being argumentative here. I know the Museum Campus isn't technically Grant Park, but it's the exact same thing in terms of public impact.

And yeah, it's a Star Wars Museum. George Lucas is known for one thing only, and it's Star Wars. If there were no Star Wars, there would be no museum, and no interest in anything related to George Lucas.

It's like if there were a JK Rowling Museum, and you were trying to convince everyone it was unrelated to Harry Potter. Obviously this will be a Star Wars Museum just like a JK Rowling Museum will be a Harry Potter Museum.
You clearly didn't watch the video, or read any actual materials on what this is except for a blurb that there will be a 1:1 model of the Millennium Falcon there from a random news article. I guess you can call the President of the Field Museum, one of the top museums in the entire country, an idiot then too for being really excited about this.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...629892/-1/news
Quote:
“I had dinner with George Lucas and Mellody Hobson to get the story about the museum, and I came away excited and enormously impressed with his thoughtfulness,” said Richard Lariviere, president of the Field Museum, referring to Mr. Lucas' wife, the president of Chicago's Ariel Investments LLC. “It's easy to paint a caricature of a famous, wildly rich person indulging in some ego trip, but I'm really impressed with his understanding of storytelling and the importance of storytelling in our lives. That's what this museum is going to be about.”

Old 06-25-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Right, no other city has festivals in its public parks and spaces.

I'm curious as to where we have enough private space to hold a festival attended by several hundred thousand people.
Could you name major world cities that bulldoze their most prominent parks for Star Wars and public events?

I already named four U.S. cities- Boston, DC, SF, and NYC, that definitely would NOT do this.

I'm still unclear why you think that festivals have to be in major public parks, as if there aren't other places to put festivals. Somehow cities even denser than Chicago don't have a problem not putting destructive uses in their main parks.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Could you name major world cities that bulldoze their most prominent parks for Star Wars and public events?
It's going over parking lots. 12 of the 17 acres offered up will be developed into park space, which is currently parking lots and the building itself will go over a parking lot. I guess you like parking lots - it's not even green space right now.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
You clearly didn't watch the video, or read any actual materials on what this is except for a blurb that there will be a 1:1 model of the Millennium Falcon there. I guess you can call the President of the Field Museum, one of the top museums in the entire country, an idiot then too.
No, I'm not watching your propaganda video, and no, I don't think the President of the Field Museum has any relevance to your non-argument.

If you're of the opinion that this will somehow NOT be a Star Wars Museum, then be my guest. I think you know you're talking nonsense.

It's as if we have Steven Spielberg build a museum and then claim it isn't about his movies, but rather his interest in Mayan dance music, or if we had a Martin Luther King Museum but only detailing his favorite foods, rather than his relationship to the Civil Rights Movement. Obviously no one would go to a George Lucas Museum if it weren't about the thing that George Lucas were famous for.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:52 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Well...you could have it in one of the big parks (Washington Park, Humboldt Park, Marquette Park, Garfield Park, etc) and in fact some festivals have been held in these locations. Of course none of these areas are anywhere equal to Grant Park in terms of access to public transit, plus some of them are in sorta sketchy neighborhoods..
And these are not private spaces. They're public parks.

Quote:

I already named four U.S. cities- Boston, DC, SF, and NYC, that definitely would NOT do this.

I'm still unclear why you think that festivals have to be in major public parks, as if there aren't other places to put festivals. Somehow cities even denser than Chicago don't have a problem not putting destructive uses in their main parks.
We don't bulldoze our parks to hold festivals.

I have asked and you have failed to answer: what private space do we have that's large enough to hold festivals that draw hundreds of thousands of people? I also don't believe it's as self-evident as you seem to think it is that festivals shouldn't be held in public parks.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
No, I'm not watching your propaganda video, and no, I don't think the President of the Field Museum has any relevance to your non-argument.

If you're of the opinion that this will somehow NOT be a Star Wars Museum, then be my guest. I think you know you're talking nonsense.

It's as if we have Steven Spielberg build a museum and then claim it isn't about his movies, but rather his interest in Mayan dance music, or if we had a Martin Luther King Museum but only detailing his favorite foods, rather than his relationship to the Civil Rights Movement. Obviously no one would go to a George Lucas Museum if it weren't about the thing that George Lucas were famous for.
If you are going to argue something, then know the other side of your argument instead of acting like a 12 year old know it all. Someone tells you that you don't know the facts, and instead of actually saying "oh, why?" you just assume you're right. Go on thinking this is a Star Wars museum and this is somehow desecrating park space that's actually 2 large surface parking lots. I'm glad people like you are in the minority and it'll be built no matter what you think, and in the end people will realize it's not a "Star Wars Museum."

If this was a Star Wars museum, I wouldn't be excited for it and I'd be rallying against it. I'm not even that big of a fan of the series (I like them, but eh) but I understand what this museum is. And yes, the president of the Field Museum knows a lot better than you what's going on as well as how to run a museum. One example of how the internet is a breeding ground for dolts who think their opinion is somehow more valid than the leader of one of the top cultural institutions in the country because they said so.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:55 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,949,514 times
Quote:
And these are not private spaces. They're public parks.
Yeah, if you're looking for private property, its hard to find one big enough for an outdoor concert, much less close to downtown. Dave Matthews had a concert in South Chicago on the old US steel property which is owned by McCaffery. I think it was a success, but again its obvious why that location is not as desirable as Grant Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City