Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SF vs Chic
San Francisco 161 40.97%
Chicago 232 59.03%
Voters: 393. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 09:09 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Everytime I think you've hit a new plateau of ignorance, you go and top yourself!
Thats not all he's hittin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 09:10 PM

8,624 posts, read 10,148,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
If you really lived here, like you say you did, youd realize that 1995 heatwave was waaaaaaaay hotter than normal and all of the deaths occured to senior citizens who, as we can do in Chicago, didnt have A/C. Take away the A/C in Phoenix and you'd see the same results. Actually, youd see FAR more fatalities in PHX from the heat as your weather is much hotter and lasts much longer. Please, put things into perspective next time and think logically.
Please.

We've had this argument before, and LOST is on.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:10 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
Ask Men.com just chose Chicago the number one city in the world for men to live.
AskMen.com's Top 29: Best Cities To Live In - 2009 Edition

Old 05-06-2009, 09:14 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Please.

We've had this argument before, and LOST is on.
We might have, yes, but apparently you didnt listen nor learn or else you wouldnt have brought it up. Take away A/C in Phoenix, and the millions of gray-haired, Benz-drivin, Depends-wearin citizens that infest Phoenix would die just as fast as the seniors that died here during that unusually warm heat wave that occured almost 15 years ago. Whats funny is that our hottest temps during those days were your AVERAGE summer temps.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:22 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
I genuinely don't like San Francisco.

It isn't a hate issue. I don't think it's necessarily a bad place, but I absolutely do not like the social climate or the cultural attitudes that far out.

I was frustrated beyond measure working with San Franciscans. I didn't like the laid-back attitude-- the legal world puts the "dead" in "deadline"-- nor did I like the extreme aversion to commitments of any kind. I don't know what happens to people who move there, but suddenly they simply do not maintain a strong work ethic.

That was frustrating beyond measure.

Either which way, I don't really see either city as superior. I just really, really preferred Chicago. Chicago has a much more aggressive "We welcome everyone" attitude be it toward business, development or cultures. There's an extreme disinclination towards newcomers or development in San Fran, and that rubbed me the wrong way.

I'm going to edit this and say that it's almost impossible to say "I prefer City X because of Z", without "y" suddenly implying that City X has something City Y doesn't. I don't think this is necessarily the case. But people were significantly less judgmental in Chicago, much more committed to communication and deadlines and in general, even with the terrible weather... I just happened to prefer Chicago. I don't really know how you'd compare one city to another, as Chicago certainly feels much too large to me, but I think they're both very fine cities. My impressions of one were very poorly colored by the people I had to deal with.

Last edited by coldwine; 05-06-2009 at 09:42 PM..

Old 05-06-2009, 09:35 PM

8,624 posts, read 10,148,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
We might have, yes, but apparently you didnt listen nor learn or else you wouldnt have brought it up. Take away A/C in Phoenix, and the millions of gray-haired, Benz-drivin, Depends-wearin citizens that infest Phoenix would die just as fast as the seniors that died here during that unusually warm heat wave that occured almost 15 years ago. Whats funny is that our hottest temps during those days were your AVERAGE summer temps.
OK commercial...

I think I was responding to a poster who stated that one would face a far more risk of dying in a snowstorm than in an earthquake (which I disagreed with). It wasn't a rip on your beloved Chicago.

BTW, isn't this a San Francisco vs. Chicago thread? I don't remember the topic including Phoenix...

Back to LOST

Old 05-07-2009, 12:31 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,291,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Either which way, I don't really see either city as superior. I just really, really preferred Chicago. Chicago has a much more aggressive "We welcome everyone" attitude be it toward business, development or cultures. There's an extreme disinclination towards newcomers or development in San Fran, and that rubbed me the wrong way.

What coldwine ment is that nobody cared for her judgemental, midwestern, small town mentality in San Fran while everyone in Chicago welcomed it. Surprise, surprise.
San Fran is known to be a center of oriental culture in the US. How is that for attitude towards other cultures?
Chicago on the other hand is very isolationist and socially conservative, very segragated racially, how is that for being welcoming and open?
Why are Chicagoans so dellusional?

Old 05-07-2009, 02:05 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
What coldwine ment is that nobody cared for her judgemental, midwestern, small town mentality in San Fran while everyone in Chicago welcomed it. Surprise, surprise.
San Fran is known to be a center of oriental culture in the US. How is that for attitude towards other cultures?
Chicago on the other hand is very isolationist and socially conservative, very segragated racially, how is that for being welcoming and open?
Hmmmm.... "judgemental, midwestern, small town mentality"

You are a walking paradox my friend (or enemy, I wouldn't ever want to be friends with you)

Everyone, flip through this guys posts and see how "open" and "non-judgmental" he is to everything that doesn't revolve around NYC. He constantly mocks blue collar workers, farmers, and people who live in rural areas. Seems pretty "open minded" to me.

And while we're on the topic of social conservatism, lets not forget that New York is on it's way to being one of THE FEW states in the Northeast that haven't legalized gay marriage. Yes, IOWA legalized it before you Dementor. Now, who's more open minded here?

I'll drop Governor Paterson a note for you.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:22 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
why are you so obsessed, angry and stupid?

Old 05-07-2009, 11:22 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,291,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
And while we're on the topic of social conservatism, lets not forget that New York is on it's way to being one of THE FEW states in the Northeast that haven't legalized gay marriage. Yes, IOWA legalized it before you Dementor. Now, who's more open minded here?

I'll drop Governor Paterson a note for you.
In a typical Midwestern manner you enthusiastically adopted a very simplistic, one-dimensional and shallow way of looking at the world. Gay marriage is not a perfect or only test of enlightment of any particular area or society. Is the world going to be automatically a better place once gay marriage is adopted by the law? I say look at how racially segragated Chicago is and resolve this issue before you even open your mouth about gay marriage.

PS By the way, which European country recognizes gay marriage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City