U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2012, 05:12 PM

4,142 posts, read 4,692,001 times

Advertisements

As far as loyalty and enthusiasm, it would go like this --

Boston
Chicago
Philadelphia
NY
Detroit
St. Louis
Cleveland
Milwaukee/Green Bay
San Francisco
LA

Dallas isn't even on the radar. I attended two games of a Sox Rangers series last year in Arlington, and the Boston fans were much louder, and this in the midst of a historic Rangers season. The fans just seemed bored out of their minds waiting for football to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 05:53 PM

18,570 posts, read 26,912,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
Please.

You immediately discredit yourself by placing Dallas and Denver in the top tier.
What exactly is wrong with placing Dallas in the top tier? No need to discredit those cities to prop up LA. I understand your argument and sentiment. But the Dallas teams are well supported and very successful. Especially compared to the rest of the Southern cities. It is also a decent collegiate city.

Quote:
Dallas isn't even on the radar. I attended two games of a Sox Rangers series last year in Arlington, and the Boston fans were much louder, and this in the midst of a historic Rangers season. The fans just seemed bored out of their minds waiting for football to start.
First, you're talking about one of the largest fanbases in MLB. Boston fans are pretty much louder at every park. You also probably went in late August when Dallas was in the middle of one of it's hottest Summers in decades. The fans weren't bored. They were more concerned that they wouldn't have a heat stroke. But you say Dallas isn't on the radar but you put St. Louis, Cleveland, and Milwaukee? I will agree that Dallas fans are more subdued and laid back. I think the louder fans are more priced out (especially at Cowboy games).

Old 01-25-2012, 07:47 PM

3,795 posts, read 8,136,813 times
To me, cities without all 4 sports teams shouldn't be considered.

My city has all four, plus a Big 10 College.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:22 PM

8,481 posts, read 10,408,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
You said "I make fun of the Eagles and their fans about this everyday" so that's why I asked.

No.. they don't. Chicago and New York have some notorious bandwagon fans.

Boston hasn't experienced enough losing to see how loyal its fans really are. It's a better sports city than Chicago and New York without a doubt, but in my opinion, if a fan base has never been tested like Philadelphia's has, then you don't fully know how loyal they really are.
Completely agree. Philly probably has the best fan base in the country and yet we are so misunderstood by the national sports media. No major sports city with 4+ teams have had their loyalty tested like the Philadelphia sports fans have. I find it very hilarious when sports fans from other cities with 4+ teams say they have a more loyal fan base when Philly has had a 25 year drought in championships in any of the 4 Pro sports franchises.

We just recently ended the drought in 2008 with the Phillies winning a World Series Title but 25 years without a title an any of the pro sports teams speaks volume and yet we still sell out almost every game which proves that we are arguable the best fan base in the entire country.
(I didn't include the "Union" MLS team because the team is relatively new and has only existed for 2 years.)

City that have had the longest drought without a Championship Title (4+ teams)

1. Philadelphia; 25 years; (1983-2008)
2. Minneapolis; 21 years; (1991)
3. Phoenix; 11 years; (2001)
4. Washington DC; 8 years; (2004)
5. Miami; 6 years, (2006)
6. Detroit; 4 years; (2008)
7. New York City; 3 years; (2009)
8. Chicago; 2 years; (2010)
9. San Francisco Bar Area; 2 years; (2010)
10. Denver; 2 year; (2010)
11. Boston; 1 year; (2011)
12. Dallas; 1 year; (2011)
13. Los Angeles; 1 year; (2011)

Old 01-26-2012, 04:33 PM

3,251 posts, read 4,713,428 times
^^^ Curse of Billy Penn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-09-2012, 02:16 PM

1,997 posts, read 3,021,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
My list would go:

1. Chicago
2. Boston
3. Dallas
4. Detroit
5. Philadelphia
6. Pittsburgh
7. Baltimore
8. Denver
9. New York City
10. New Orleans
Changing my list up a little... After doing more thinking about the subject,

If we are talking SPORTS, can't just limit things to specifically Big 4 Pro, Nor can we count a place that doesn't support the big 4 Pro. It isn't enough to just be fanatic about High School or College sports. Must have more than that. But it's also not enough to only be fanatic about Pro only. It is the cities that show TRUE sports appreciation that are great. The cities that appreciate NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS, Boxing, Lacrosse, Horse Racing, Golf, Tennis, Track & Field, sporting events, etc... THAT'S a TRUE SPORTS city.

1. Chicago
2. Boston
3. Philadelphia
4. Dallas
5. Detroit
6. Baltimore
7. Pittsburgh
8. Denver
9. New York City
10. New Orleans

Old 02-09-2012, 03:01 PM

1,997 posts, read 3,021,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
City that have had the longest drought without a Championship Title (4+ teams)

1. Philadelphia; 25 years; (1983-2008)
2. Minneapolis; 21 years; (1991)
3. Phoenix; 11 years; (2001)
4. Washington DC; 8 years; (2004)
5. Miami; 6 years, (2006)
6. Detroit; 4 years; (2008)
7. New York City; 3 years; (2009)
8. Chicago; 2 years; (2010)
9. San Francisco Bar Area; 2 years; (2010)
10. Denver; 2 year; (2010)
11. Boston; 1 year; (2011)
12. Dallas; 1 year; (2011)
13. Los Angeles; 1 year; (2011)
I'm throwing the flag on this play! Such hogwash!

Nothing matters after the Championship! You get NO points for sympathy for having waited so long after you've started winning... So Philly had to wait 25 years... Boo freak'n hoo...

Don't forget Atlanta WAS a 4 sport city, and Atlanta had to wait 28 years before seeing a trophy, and is now on year 17 still waiting on trophy number 2...

At least Philadelphia has 17 trophies to speak of, with your last being recent within the last 5 years so you get NO sympathy here...

No matter which way you look at it, Philadelphia has won 17 times AND won recently.

Cities with the most Championships:

1. New York City - 55
2. Boston - 34
3. Chicago - 27
4. Los Angeles - 22
4. Detroit - 22
6. Philadelphia - 17
7. Pittsburgh - 14
8. Oakland/San Francisco - 13
8. Green Bay - 13
8. St. Louis - 13

Top 10 Cities With the Most Sports Championships - US News and World Report

Old 02-09-2012, 03:11 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,274,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
Please.

You immediately discredit yourself by placing Dallas and Denver in the top tier.

LA isn't a fairweather sports town. The statistics confirm that. I'd like to hear you explain the following (you probably won't respond ):

1) The Clippers were outdrawing the Celtics before the Big Three of Pierce, Garnett, and Allen were formed. The Clippers, AKA the biggest joke franchise in all of sports, outdrew a Boston team. The 76ers, off to their best start in 11 years (currently 3rd in the East), are averaging only 14,147 a game (26th in the league). That is for a city with a strong basketball culture.

2) The Kings, also a franchise without much success, outdrew the Boston Bruins and Chicago Blackhawks before those teams became relevant. This was during what would turn out to be a 6-year playoff drought.
Like I said in my first post, my top tier is only teams that have all four major sports AND have solid fanbases. The NFL is clearly the most popular sports league in the US. Without an NFL team, LA is disqualified from my top tier. You of course can have a different opinion. If LA had an NFL team then I would consider adding them to my top tier.

As to the fair weather part, that is an interesting stat about the Clippers. Perhaps I am underestimating LA a bit, but part of it is just the "feel" of a place. In lots of cities you can really see and feel the emotional investment people have in the teams. People talk about the games and are upset when they lose. You see tons of team gear like jerseys, hats, stickers on cars, flags on homes, etc. The local press (tv, newspaper, radio) talks about the teams non-stop. I just didn't get that vibe when I was in LA to the same degree I have gotten it in other cities.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:22 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,274,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post

Nothing matters after the Championship! You get NO points for sympathy for having waited so long after you've started winning... So Philly had to wait 25 years... Boo freak'n hoo...

Don't forget Atlanta WAS a 4 sport city, and Atlanta had to wait 28 years before seeing a trophy, and is now on year 17 still waiting on trophy number 2...

At least Philadelphia has 17 trophies to speak of, with your last being recent within the last 5 years so you get NO sympathy here...

No matter which way you look at it, Philadelphia has won 17 times AND won recently.

Cities with the most Championships:

1. New York City - 55
2. Boston - 34
3. Chicago - 27
4. Los Angeles - 22
4. Detroit - 22
6. Philadelphia - 17
7. Pittsburgh - 14
8. Oakland/San Francisco - 13
8. Green Bay - 13
8. St. Louis - 13

Top 10 Cities With the Most Sports Championships - US News and World Report
Ha ha. I agree! Once a city has turned its sports fortunes around, I don't have much sympathy for past failures. And I'd say a championship is "good" for at least a decade...i.e. once your favorite team has won a championship, you really can't complain that much until it has been 10 years or so.

The Saints were absolutely awful for most of their existence, but that Super Bowl win a couple of years ago changed things for the better...and that change will carry over for years.

I'll also note how easy it is to be a fan when your team wins all the time. Maybe fans in (fill in sunbelt city that usually gets blasted for having bad fans such as Atlanta, Miami, etc) would be much more hard-core if they had 25 championships to celebrate. For fans in cities like NYC, Chicago, and Boston even if they go a decade without a championships, they know that it is possible and that things will probably turn around.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:38 PM

8,481 posts, read 10,408,803 times
[quote=Psykomonkee;22915653]
Quote:
Just stating the facts.

Quote:
That was longer than any other city with 4+ teams.

Quote:
But they are not a 4+ sport city.

Quote:
Very misleading since the overwhelming majority of those Championships were won before 1960.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City