Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 10:28 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
Don't tell me you're one of those people who judges fanbases on the amount of championships their team has won.
No. I'm not and I never did. You are the one who brought it up. But yes, Philadelphia had a drought. Doesn't mean they have the best most loyal fans though. Boston, Chicago, and New York has an argument as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 10:54 PM

958 posts, read 1,196,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No. I'm not and I never did. You are the one who brought it up. But yes, Philadelphia had a drought. Doesn't mean they have the best most loyal fans though. Boston, Chicago, and New York has an argument as well.
You said "I make fun of the Eagles and their fans about this everyday" so that's why I asked.

No.. they don't. Chicago and New York have some notorious bandwagon fans.

Boston hasn't experienced enough losing to see how loyal its fans really are. It's a better sports city than Chicago and New York without a doubt, but in my opinion, if a fanbase has never been tested like Philadelphia's has, then you don't fully know how loyal they really are.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:00 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
You said "I make fun of the Eagles and their fans about this everyday" so that's why I asked.

No.. they don't. Chicago and New York have some notorious bandwagon fans.

Boston hasn't experienced enough losing to see how loyal its fans really are. It's a better sports city than Chicago and New York without a doubt, but in my opinion, if a fanbase has never been tested like Philadelphia's has, then you don't fully know how loyal they really are.
The reason why I make fun of the Eagles and their fans about this everyday is because I am a Cowboys fan. Philadelphia also has bandwagon fans and I don't care that Boston hasn't experienced losing enough. The Red Sox went 8 decades without winning another MLB championship. Celtics went two, Patriots went four decades without winning a championship and before last year, the Bruins went four decades without winning a championship as well. Yet Boston fans are just as loyal as any other base. Since 2001, they've been on a tear. But they also went the entire decade of the 90s without sniffing a championship.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The reason why I make fun of the Eagles and their fans about this everyday is because I am a Cowboys fan. Philadelphia also has bandwagon fans and I don't care that Boston hasn't experienced losing enough. The Red Sox went 8 decades without winning another MLB championship. Celtics went two, Patriots went four decades without winning a championship and before last year, the Bruins went four decades without winning a championship as well. Yet Boston fans are just as loyal as any other base. Since 2001, they've been on a tear. But they also went the entire decade of the 90s without sniffing a championship.
Of course you are.

Philadelphia has bandwagon fans when the teams win but the majority of the fans of every single sport here are loyal and have been with their teams through thick and thin.

One decade.. oh my God. I feel so bad for them. Again.. when one team wasn't winning, at least one other one was. So no.. it's not the same thing.

You know what? We're just going to have to agree to disagree here. I've stated my opinion, you've stated yours. Let's just move on with the thread.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:36 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,282,773 times
Quote:
That's because the tickets cost too damn much. At one point, teams would cut ticket prices if they didn't do well, which the Sixers didn't do the past 5 years. The Sixers are the worst example of what a Philly fanbase is because this really isn't a pro-basketball city, probably because the Sixers have only existed since the '60s and haven't been good since the mid-80s, minus this year and last. There were brief periods of winning in between but no sustained winning. They have to compete with a historic college basketball scene, a competitive high school basketball scene, and the best streetball scene outside of NYC. The point is though, that despite all that, the Sixers still have a large, loyal fanbase.

The Eagles have sold out every game for God knows how long. There is a huge waiting line for season tickets.
You know the Saints came from fans wearing paper bags to the games, we've seen dark days for decades as fans. Still the fans were loyal and the Superdome was hardly empty even during the losing seasons.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You know the Saints came from fans wearing paper bags to the games, we've seen dark days for decades as fans. Still the fans were loyal and the Superdome was hardly empty even during the losing seasons.
Of course I know that. You also have big-time college football programs in or near New Orleans but all that means is that you're a great football city.

If there were franchises in all four major sports, how well do you think the Saints would do attendance-wise when they started losing? That's what determines how loyal a fanbase really is.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:21 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,282,773 times
Quote:
Of course I know that. You also have big-time college football programs in or near New Orleans but all that means is that you're a great football city.

If there were franchises in all four major sports, how well do you think the Saints would do attendance-wise when they started losing? That's what determines how loyal a fanbase really is.
Only big-time college football near New Orleans is LSU, and it has little to do with New Orleans. Saints would do fine, always will.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:25 PM

167 posts, read 268,543 times
Dallas and Denver are great sports cities, but Los Angeles isn't? Orly?

There are three ways to measure a great sports city: 1) the presence of storied franchises, 2) the amount of recent success, and 3) the quality of the fans. Going by that logic, LA is a great sports town no matter how you slice it.

1) Presence of storied franchises

Lakers, Dodgers, Trojans football, and Bruins basketball. That alone thrusts LA into the top 10.

2) Amount of recent success

Since 2000:

Lakers (2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010)
Angels (2002)
Ducks (2007)

That ties Boston's 7 titles.

If you want to expand further:

Galaxy (2002, 2005, 2011)
Sparks (2002, 2003)
Trojans (2003, 2004)

3) Quality of the fans

There seems to be a misconception that LA doesn't tolerate losers. Not true. The Clippers were outdrawing the Celtics before the Celtics assembled the Big 3. The Kings were outdrawing the Bruins and Blackhawks, two Original Six teams. The Dodgers consistently average 40,000+ fans a game each season despite mediocre to above average teams. Nothing like the Yankees or Red Sox.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Indy, Cinci, LA, and Dallas over Philly?
Philly is overrated as a sports town. People always say that LA is a fairweather sports town, yet Philly takes the cake.

The 76ers are off to their best start in 11 years, yet attendance is still abysmal.

Nobody cared about the Phillies until 2008.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
Top Tier: These cities have all four major sports AND seems to have very solid fanbases

Boston
Chicago
Philly
New York
Dallas
Denver

2nd Tier: These teams either don't have all four major sports, or they have all four, but the support is not always there:

San Francisco: All four, and I thought about putting them in the top tier, but I don't think the support is quite there. Close
Los Angeles: Lakers are huge, but no NFL. Fans are a bit fair weather
St. Louis: Cards are huge, no NBA
Pittsburgh: Steelers are huge, no NBA
Detroit: All four, but support isn't quite high enough for top tier
Washington, DC: all four, but support isn't high enough for top tier
Cleveland: no NHL, but fans seem quite passionate and support teams despite a lack of success

(There are a few other cities with all four, but I didn't even list them b/c their support seems even lower than the ones listed above: Minneapolis, Phoenix, Miami)

Honorable Mentions
Green Bay: only has the Pack, but they are huge
Indianapolis: only has Colts and Pacers of the "Big Four", but also has NCAA hq, Indy 500, etc.
Please.

You immediately discredit yourself by placing Dallas and Denver in the top tier.

LA isn't a fairweather sports town. The statistics confirm that. I'd like to hear you explain the following (you probably won't respond ):

1) The Clippers were outdrawing the Celtics before the Big Three of Pierce, Garnett, and Allen were formed. The Clippers, AKA the biggest joke franchise in all of sports, outdrew a Boston team. The 76ers, off to their best start in 11 years (currently 3rd in the East), are averaging only 14,147 a game (26th in the league). That is for a city with a strong basketball culture.

2) The Kings, also a franchise without much success, outdrew the Boston Bruins and Chicago Blackhawks before those teams became relevant. This was during what would turn out to be a 6-year playoff drought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City