Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 12:05 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times

Advertisements

Chicago ought to be in the top 3 or 4, with Philly POSSIBLY bumping them off, but I could argue that Chicago is a better sports town than LA and possibly NY, so "top 3" is a fair designation, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 11:04 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times
Boston, New York, Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, San Francisco/Oakland, Dallas, Pittsburgh

Old 02-22-2012, 08:52 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,897,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I'm honestly surprised that Washington and Philadelphia aren't bigger rivalries in sports. I know in football, the Eagles and Redskins hate Dallas the most. But between the Eagles and Skins, its just another divisional rivalry game. With the history and proximity of these two towns, it should be bigger than it is now. Just wanted to point that out.
I agree. It is surprising that there isn't more rivalry between these two cities. And it is curious how in the NFL the Cowboys are a bigger rival when Dallas is so far away.

I follow the Nats and I'm hoping they can be more competitive in the future (maybe starting this season) and maybe get a good rivalry going with the Phillies.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:10 AM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I follow the Nats and I'm hoping they can be more competitive in the future (maybe starting this season) and maybe get a good rivalry going with the Phillies.
Nats Try To Ban Phillies Fans From Park (http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/sports/phillies/nats-try-to-ban-phillies-fans-from-park - broken link)

Old 02-23-2012, 06:21 PM

74 posts, read 233,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
Chicago's only real fans are Cubs/White Sox and Bears fans.

Period.

Don't ever act like Blackhawks fans hold a candle to Flyers fans. Where were they before they started winning, huh?

And the Bulls? Please.
What? The Bulls routinely finish in the top 3 for attendance EVERY season. There was even a season where the Bulls finished 41-41 and still led the league in attendance. Anyone who says Bulls fans are real have never been to Chicago. Bulls fans are realer than any fanbase. You wanna see fake fans go to Miami.

Bulls ATTENDANCE RANK
2004: 3rd
2005: 2nd
2006: 2nd
2007: 1st
2008: 2nd
2009: 2nd
2010: 1st
2011: 1st
2012: 1st

And as far as the Hawks go, the reason why they're more popular is because they have a better tv deal now where all 82 games are on TV. It was not like that in the past. That tv deal has more to do with them being popular than anything. Their current ownership took that team to places that the pass ****ty front office couldnt and it aint all about the wins.

As far as baseball goes, I was born and raised on the Southside and this is OUR TOWN. **** the Chicago Scrubs. We run this town, White Sox fans run this city. Southsiders bully Northsiders and Chicago is our's, Cubs are a lame team for drunk transplants and suburbanites. I dont give a **** about the Cubs. They're fans are jerks that get slapped around by Sox fans during crosstown. Crosstown is hectic, not only do we beat the Cubs usually on the field but when it comes to Cub-White Sox fan fistfights we kick their asses as well EVERY YEAR. **** the Cubs, Chicago hates eachother in baseball. Im a Bulls, White Sox, Bears, and Blackhawk fan. I love my city I love ALL Chicago sports teams except those losers on the Northside. God knows I hate that team on the Northside. I hate the Scrubs more than I hate the Packers, Knicks, Heat, Pistons, Red Wings, Canucks etc and God knows I HATE the Green Bay Packers with all my heart. But ya know what? I would rather see the Packers win a Super Bowl or Knicks win the NBA Finals than see the Chicago Scrubs win a World Series. God forbid they ever lift a WS trophy in my lifetime. I hope they NEVER win anything for the rest of my life. God knows us White Sox fans hate the Cubs with all our heart and soul.

Cubs at White Sox Crosstown Classic Brawl 6/22 - YouTube

Huge Cubs/White Sox Crosstown Classic Punching Brawl 6/28/08 - YouTube

White sox vs cubs fight 6/29/08 - YouTube

Crosstown Classic is ALWAYS a warzone. And Crosstown is going to be crazy this year again, expect more fights, more chaos, more White Sox wins, more Cub fans getting their asses kicked, etc. WE RUN THIS TOWN. Bulls-Bears-Sox-Hawks NO SCRUBS ALLOWED.

Last edited by Chicago'sFinest; 02-23-2012 at 06:32 PM..

Old 02-24-2012, 12:22 AM

958 posts, read 1,197,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No city supports all of their teams well. People need to stop pretending that they do. Every city has a team with a weak fanbase. Including Philadelphia.
Except our "weakest" fan base is still a lot stronger than the "strongest" fan base in a place like LA. Just because people don't go to the games doesn't mean they don't watch or buy the merchandise. I know plenty of people who swore off the Sixers because they got tired of Iverson's act and I don't doubt that those same people are tired of seeing Lou Williams act like it's his team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
On the whole NYC is a bigger sports rival overall. Giants, Mets, Rangers, Knicks

DC, well the Nats are new. The Skins, while hated are not the Giants or Boys (To me at least equal hatred for the giants in Philly and as a life long Philly fan IMHO). The Wizards and Caps just dont have the same rivalry/hatred as the Rangers and Knicks (or even Celtics or Bruins/Penquins for that matter)
I don't agree with that.

We hate the Cowboys for a reason. We hate them because they're all flash, no substance, because they go against everything we're about and so do their fans. The Giants are just another rival, like the Redskins.

It's the same deal for me with the Braves. They whooped us for a decade, made us their whipping boys. The Mets have a long way to go until they earn that hate from me.

I also hate the Devils a lot more than I could ever hate the Rangers, and don't get me started on the Penguins. Talk about some bandwagon hockey fans, that city's full of them.

Knicks I've never hated nor do I really consider them rivals in the same sense as Dallas in football or New Jersey in hockey. I hate the current Celtics though, for sure. Still, that's not so much due to any kind of rivalry as much as it is due to certain players on that team who are incredibly overrated and need a reality check. I don't think the Sixers have a division rival in basketball on the level of the division rivals the Flyers, Eagles, and Phillies have. The most hated rival is probably the Lakers because of what they represent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqsox56 View Post
Agree with the you on the Hawks, but why the Bulls?
Because you can't tell me that people would care about the Bulls as much if it weren't for Jordan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
Even after Michael...

Bulls top NBA in attendance over the past decade | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE CHICAGO BULLS

So.. no.

You have a point about the Blackhawks.

Bears, Cubs, and Bulls have always had loyal fans.
Even after Michael.. when your team has been competitive for almost a decade now.

So... yeah.

And what about before Michael? Where were you all then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Chicago ought to be in the top 3 or 4, with Philly POSSIBLY bumping them off, but I could argue that Chicago is a better sports town than LA and possibly NY, so "top 3" is a fair designation, IMO.
How on Earth could anybody put LA in the Top 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I agree. It is surprising that there isn't more rivalry between these two cities. And it is curious how in the NFL the Cowboys are a bigger rival when Dallas is so far away.

Read my post to kidphilly for the reason Dallas is our biggest rival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago'sFinest View Post
What? The Bulls routinely finish in the top 3 for attendance EVERY season. There was even a season where the Bulls finished 41-41 and still led the league in attendance. Anyone who says Bulls fans are real have never been to Chicago. Bulls fans are realer than any fanbase. You wanna see fake fans go to Miami.

Bulls ATTENDANCE RANK
2004: 3rd
2005: 2nd
2006: 2nd
2007: 1st
2008: 2nd
2009: 2nd
2010: 1st
2011: 1st
2012: 1st

And as far as the Hawks go, the reason why they're more popular is because they have a better tv deal now where all 82 games are on TV. It was not like that in the past. That tv deal has more to do with them being popular than anything. Their current ownership took that team to places that the pass ****ty front office couldnt and it aint all about the wins.

As far as baseball goes, I was born and raised on the Southside and this is OUR TOWN. **** the Chicago Scrubs. We run this town, White Sox fans run this city. Southsiders bully Northsiders and Chicago is our's, Cubs are a lame team for drunk transplants and suburbanites. I dont give a **** about the Cubs. They're fans are jerks that get slapped around by Sox fans during crosstown. Crosstown is hectic, not only do we beat the Cubs usually on the field but when it comes to Cub-White Sox fan fistfights we kick their asses as well EVERY YEAR. **** the Cubs, Chicago hates eachother in baseball. Im a Bulls, White Sox, Bears, and Blackhawk fan. I love my city I love ALL Chicago sports teams except those losers on the Northside. God knows I hate that team on the Northside. I hate the Scrubs more than I hate the Packers, Knicks, Heat, Pistons, Red Wings, Canucks etc and God knows I HATE the Green Bay Packers with all my heart. But ya know what? I would rather see the Packers win a Super Bowl or Knicks win the NBA Finals than see the Chicago Scrubs win a World Series. God forbid they ever lift a WS trophy in my lifetime. I hope they NEVER win anything for the rest of my life. God knows us White Sox fans hate the Cubs with all our heart and soul.

Crosstown Classic is ALWAYS a warzone. And Crosstown is going to be crazy this year again, expect more fights, more chaos, more White Sox wins, more Cub fans getting their asses kicked, etc. WE RUN THIS TOWN. Bulls-Bears-Sox-Hawks NO SCRUBS ALLOWED.
Last time I checked, history doesn't start with Michael Jordan or the team that had Hinrich, Gordon, Luol Deng, and so many other talented players. Also, Bulls fans are in fact not even remotely "realer than any other fanbase".

Where were the fans before Jordan?

And don't even try to make a case for the Hawks.

You're one person. We have plenty of people from the metro who root for every single team, including the Union and are die-hard, loyal no matter what. I'm one of them.

I always appreciate real fans versus bandwagons but that doesn't mean I'm going to give a city with so many bandwagon fans credit because of a few real fans.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Except our "weakest" fan base is still a lot stronger than the "strongest" fan base in a place like LA. Just because people don't go to the games doesn't mean they don't watch or buy the merchandise. I know plenty of people who swore off the Sixers because they got tired of Iverson's act and I don't doubt that those same people are tired of seeing Lou Williams act like it's his team.

I don't agree with that.

We hate the Cowboys for a reason. We hate them because they're all flash, no substance, because they go against everything we're about and so do their fans. The Giants are just another rival, like the Redskins.

It's the same deal for me with the Braves. They whooped us for a decade, made us their whipping boys. The Mets have a long way to go until they earn that hate from me.

I also hate the Devils a lot more than I could ever hate the Rangers, and don't get me started on the Penguins. Talk about some bandwagon hockey fans, that city's full of them.

Knicks I've never hated nor do I really consider them rivals in the same sense as Dallas in football or New Jersey in hockey. I hate the current Celtics though, for sure. Still, that's not so much due to any kind of rivalry as much as it is due to certain players on that team who are incredibly overrated and need a reality check. I don't think the Sixers have a division rival in basketball on the level of the division rivals the Flyers, Eagles, and Phillies have. The most hated rival is probably the Lakers because of what they represent.

Because you can't tell me that people would care about the Bulls as much if it weren't for Jordan.

Even after Michael.. when your team has been competitive for almost a decade now.

So... yeah.

And what about before Michael? Where were you all then?

How on Earth could anybody put LA in the Top 3?

Read my post to kidphilly for the reason Dallas is our biggest rival.

Last time I checked, history doesn't start with Michael Jordan or the team that had Hinrich, Gordon, Luol Deng, and so many other talented players. Also, Bulls fans are in fact not even remotely "realer than any other fanbase".

Where were the fans before Jordan?

And don't even try to make a case for the Hawks.

You're one person. We have plenty of people from the metro who root for every single team, including the Union and are die-hard, loyal no matter what. I'm one of them.

I always appreciate real fans versus bandwagons but that doesn't mean I'm going to give a city with so many bandwagon fans credit because of a few real fans.
The Bulls are still a relatively young franchise compared to the Lakers, Knicks, or Sixers. It's not as if the Bulls have some long history before Michael Jordan. The franchise had been in existance for less than 20 years before Jordan got drafted. Besides, Im in my 20's large segments of people like me werent even alive before the Jordan days.

The Bulls been making the arena for DECADES. And no Im not one person, 95% of native Chicagoans are city-sport racists who root strictly for Chicago teams except for a few weirdos. If you root for a non-Chicago team and you were born and raised here, then you'll practically treated like a sub human scumbag here by diehard Chicago fans. I was pretty much raised to be a city-sport racist against every non-Chicago team and the town is made up largely of people like me. Chicago is not like other cities where you find people mixing and matching teams from various cities unless they are transplants. Unless you're a transplant, we are strictly Chicago sport racists who root for Bulls and Bears and no non-local teams.

Every single team plays in city limits, EVERY TEAM. We arent New York where we claim a team in another state like New Jersey. All Chicago teams are 100% CHICAGO except for the loser Scrubs the only choice you might get a choice to pick sports teams here is baseball.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:14 AM

958 posts, read 1,197,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago'sFinest View Post
The Bulls are still a relatively young franchise compared to the Lakers, Knicks, or Sixers. It's not as if the Bulls have some long history before Michael Jordan. The franchise had been in existance for less than 20 years before Jordan got drafted. Besides, Im in my 20's large segments of people like me werent even alive before the Jordan days.

The Bulls been making the arena for DECADES. And no Im not one person, 95% of native Chicagoans are city-sport racists who root strictly for Chicago teams except for a few weirdos. If you root for a non-Chicago team and you were born and raised here, then you'll practically treated like a sub human scumbag here by diehard Chicago fans. I was pretty much raised to be a city-sport racist against every non-Chicago team and the town is made up largely of people like me. Chicago is not like other cities where you find people mixing and matching teams from various cities unless they are transplants. Unless you're a transplant, we are strictly Chicago sport racists who root for Bulls and Bears and no non-local teams.

Every single team plays in city limits, EVERY TEAM. We arent New York where we claim a team in another state like New Jersey. All Chicago teams are 100% CHICAGO except for the loser Scrubs the only choice you might get a choice to pick sports teams here is baseball.
20 years before Jordan means 20 years of history before Jordan. Also, considering that Jordan got drafted in 1984, and the Sixers came to Philly in the 60s, if the Bulls were only in existence for 20 years prior to 1984 then they're not all that much younger than the Sixers.

You root for the Bulls because you've gone decades without enough consecutive losing seasons and now have Derrick Rose after being a very competitive team in the 2000s. If Jordan never came about, can you honestly say that people would be as into the Bulls?

You do realize that the Giants used to play in New York right? So did the Nets, actually.

Still, none of this really has to do with nor does it back up your claims that your city is not full of bandwagon Hawks and Bulls fans.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
20 years before Jordan means 20 years of history before Jordan. Also, considering that Jordan got drafted in 1984, and the Sixers came to Philly in the 60s, if the Bulls were only in existence for 20 years prior to 1984 then they're not all that much younger than the Sixers.

You root for the Bulls because you've gone decades without enough consecutive losing seasons and now have Derrick Rose after being a very competitive team in the 2000s. If Jordan never came about, can you honestly say that people would be as into the Bulls?

You do realize that the Giants used to play in New York right? So did the Nets, actually.

Still, none of this really has to do with nor does it back up your claims that your city is not full of bandwagon Hawks and Bulls fans.
I showed you attendance and you made excuses, you dont know much about Chicago at all and I can tell. Ask Pacer, Buck, and Piston fans about us. And I dont root for the Bulls because they win, I root for the Bulls because Im from Chicago. Ive been a White Sox fan since I was 10 years old and at that point they hadnt won ****. So if I was rooting on teams only because they win, I'd never have grown up a White Sox fan. Bears havent won a Super Bowl since 1985, but still popular and have sold out EVERY single game for several decades.

And your salty that the Hawks stopped the Flyers in the Stanley Cup so I understand your Blackhawk hate. Your team is no in the history books for the 2010 running ups and you'll never shake that. No one remembers the loser just the champions I know it sucks. But Ill let you think that Hawk fans are bandwagoners even though the Blackhawks were in the playoffs practically every year of the 1990's with Ed Belfour, Chris Chelios, and Jeremy Roenick and even went to a Stanley Cup. Ill let you think the Hawks are all championship bandwagoners even though the Blackhawks were just in the Western Conference Finals the year before they even won the Cup. Yep, none of that happened, Hawk fans never existed.

I root for the Bulls because Im from Chicago. What happened before Jordan is irrelevant to people like me who were born in the 80's. I cant be
a fan of a team of a certain era if Im not even alive for that era. Oh and the Sixers have been in the league since the 40's. Dont matter where they moved to, they are older than the Bulls. Bulls stunk in the early 2000's for a few years and still were packing arenas. Our fanbase never drifted dramatically like your's did after Allen Iverson left, if there's any bandwagoners it's you guys. Why arent yall half as popular as yall were when Iverson was there yet we still are as popular as we ever have been? Ive never heard of the Sixers finishing below .500 and leading the league in attendance. But we did.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:54 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,532,299 times
The OP did not say it had to be based on professional sports. On a college level, I would include the Research Triangle area of Raleigh/Durham, due to the close proximity of Duke, NC State, and North Carolina Tarheels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City