U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city would you rather live in?
Philly 119 65.75%
Tampa 62 34.25%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 10:05 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,719,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I usually find DJ's posts pretty good, but this one is an anomaly. I will give him the benefit of the doubt in what he is trying to get at ... and I think what he means is that Tampa and Orlando are "surrounded" by the deep south, and those same people do come in to the city from time to time...but not really its residents or what the cities are about. It is the same way here but much less of an "oasis", outside of campus and a few suburbs, it is "surrounded" by the deep south. Orlando more of it than Tampa.
Exactly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
You've obviously never been to the ViMi district.
I actually have, its a very (extremely) small district.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:08 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,691,882 times
Quote:
I usually find DJ's posts pretty good, but this one is an anomaly. I will give him the benefit of the doubt in what he is trying to get at ... and I think what he means is that Tampa and Orlando are "surrounded" by the deep south, and those same people do come in to the city from time to time...but not really its residents or what the cities are about. It is the same way here but much less of an "oasis", outside of campus and a few suburbs, it is "surrounded" by the deep south. Orlando more of it than Tampa.
I agree, you can make an GOOD argument for the panhandle, but even then at least there are colleges which sort of changes the character of the city, and there are naval bases in pensacola, and there is always a little bit of diversity on the bases, but Tampa, and Orlando??

Old 05-08-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I actually have, its a very (extremely) small district.
But it's still there isnt it.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I agree, you can make an GOOD argument for the panhandle, but even then at least there are colleges which sort of changes the character of the city, and there are naval bases in pensacola, and there is always a little bit of diversity on the bases, but Tampa, and Orlando??
Please drive through Bithlo and tell me if that is not similar to what you will find in any of the so-called deep south cities. There may be pockets of ethnic groups in these cities but the sorrounding areas are deep south, that can not be denied.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Please drive through Bithlo and tell me if that not is not similar to what you will find in any of the so-called deep south cities. There may be pockets of ethnic groups in these cities but the sorrounding areas are deep south, that can not be denied.
It VERY well can be denied, there are PLENTY of suburbs surrounding Orlando that are NOTHING like the deep south, there may be a few that are sort of like the DEEP south, but other then that most of the major cities in the metro are filled with puerto ricans, northerners, recent tourist, and british people. You REALLY need to check out mississippi to get the feeling for the REAL deep south.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:19 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,496,647 times
Quote:
But it's still there isnt it.
hmm i know this isn't accurate but... the red pretty much correlates with the more southern areas outside of naples in the sw.

the blue areas you see are tallahassee, gainesville, tampa, orlando, daytona and greater miami
more and more in fl the people in the smaller counties are commuting into the bigger cities as the jobs have dried up in the more rural counties, big trend I have noticed in the last 10 years. I know people commute here from south alabama, south georgia and several other "red" counties to work, shop, eat. The majority of city residents and people who live here or live on campus are fine, it is the metro region (3x as big) you are dealing with more and more so. (at least here) and I assume in Orlando too. When I left almost a decade ago, it wasn't near as bad. Lots more people from the rest of the south have moved to Florida (over 3 million people moved to Florida this decade). I see a ridiculous amount of GA plates, but they weren't as common back in the day. For example, only 2 people in my department at work actually live in the city out of 12 people, the rest commute from at least 30 minutes outside the city, and 3 of them from South Georgia.
I know I rag on it a lot on here, but I kind of feel bad of what happened to the quiet little city I spent so much time in. A lot can change in 10 years.

I think a lot of areas here have gotten less southern and redneck, i.e. Destin and Panama City... but some cities have gotten more redneck and I think those include Tampa, Orlando and Tallahassee. Florida doesn't have near as many "southern gentleman" types as say, Georgia, but probably even more rednecks. Florida in general has a lot of trashy people to bump shoulders with. Living here in the 80s and 90s...gone in the 00's and back now? It is a much different Florida. I think a lot of people have the image of Florida as how it was from probably 1970-1997 or so, or what they saw on a few vacations, then move here and are like WTF? This is probably what Daily Journalist experienced.

Last edited by grapico; 05-08-2009 at 10:37 PM..

Old 05-08-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
hmm i know this isn't accurate but... the red pretty much correlates with the more southern areas outside of naples in the sw.

the blue areas you see are tallahassee, gainesville, tampa, orlando, daytona and greater miami
more and more in fl the people in the smaller counties are commuting into the bigger cities as the jobs have dried up in the more rural counties, big trend in the last 10 years. I know people commute here from south alabama, south georgia and several other "red" counties to work, shop, eat.
I like that map. Proves my point.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:

more and more in fl the people in the smaller counties are commuting into the bigger cities as the jobs have dried up in the more rural counties, big trend in the last 10 years. I know people commute here from south alabama, south georgia and several other "red" counties to work, shop, eat. The majority of city residents and people who live here or live on campus are fine, it is the metro region (3x as big) you are dealing with more and more so. (at least here) and I assume in Orlando too. When I left almost a decade ago, it wasn't near as bad.
Which counties are those up in the panhandle that were blue?

Old 05-08-2009, 10:34 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,979,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
People act like this kind of backward thinking is commonly found throughout the South - it isn't. This confederate flag announcement (and other stunts like it) is obviously the work of one person or a radical group of individuals. You present it as if it's funded by the city of Tampa and supported by the general public - it isn't.

There are radical social outcasts all over the world, but usually they aren't seen as representative of the people and/or ideology of their city, region, or country. Not so with the crazies from the southern U.S. - some people are naive enough to believe that we're all that way.
Dont bother. I've already told him that. He dosent listen to logic. He argues like little kid, telling you what he thinks, and completly ignores his opponents' points
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City