Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city would you rather live in?
Philly 120 65.93%
Tampa 62 34.07%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 11:22 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Ok, what... does... history... have... to... do... with... living ...preferences.

Duh, maybe a city with rich history draws a person to it? Educated people, like myself, like that sort of thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 11:23 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,750,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Definitely not just 2. I seem to see them in every thread wherever I go, posting the most bizarre things.
they are probably the same 2. There are A LOT more Northeastern and NE tranplants posting on here.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:24 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default History

Quote:
What does the fact that Philly being around since the revolutionary war have to do with the topic at hand?
History is part of CULTURE. It is a reason people not only live in these cities, but VISIT them. Why do people go to Tampa at all? Weather and beaches. That is it. You can also say the same for ANY city in Florida, with the exception of Orlando.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Duh, maybe a city with rich history draws a person to it? Educated people, like myself, like that sort of thing
Educated people can read a history book. You don't need to be surrounded by it.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
History is part of CULTURE. It is a reason people not only live in these cities, but VISIT them. Why do people go to Tampa at all? Weather and beaches. That is it. You can also say the same for ANY city in Florida, with the exception of Orlando.
There is more in Tampa than Just weather and Beaches, including culture. That is why Im on these site in the first place. because people bash it and know nothing about it.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:49 AM

Default Cold and Dry

Quote:
Educated people can read a history book. You don't need to be surrounded by it.
Reading something in a book is not the same as being in a place and using all of your senses to experience it. One example. It is very difficult for native Floridian kids to fully understand the 4 seasons. They can read about them in a book and see pictures, but I brought in real Fall leaves for them to pass around. They ran their fingers over them. They smelled them. They held them up to the light. They could never experience that from a book. The same can be said of snow, probably more so.

The Liberty Bell, Ground Zero, Golden Gate Bridge, London Bridge, Leaning Tower of Pisa, etc., etc., all of these things you can read about in a book, but it is nothing like seeing them in person.

History comes ALIVE.

Last edited by TANaples; 05-20-2009 at 12:01 PM..

Old 05-20-2009, 11:51 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,491,698 times
Quote:
Reading something in a book is not the same as being in a place and using all of your senses to experience it. One example. It is very difficult for native Floridan kids to fully understand the 4 seasons. They can read about them in a book and see pictures, but I brought in real Fall leaves for them to pass around. They ran their fingers over them. They smelled them. They held them up to the light. They could never experience that from a book. The same can be said of snow, probably more so.

The Liberty Bell, Ground Zero, Golden Gate Bridge, London Bridge, Leaning Tower of Pisa, etc., etc., all of these things you can read about in a book, but it is nothing like seeing them in person.

History comes ALIVE.
I can't believe that you had to explain that to him.

It is like you were talking to a 2 year old

Old 05-20-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Reading something in a book is not the same as being in a place and using all of your senses to experience it. One example. It is very difficult for native Floridan kids to fully understand the 4 seasons. They can read about them in a book and see pictures, but I brought in real Fall leaves for them to pass around. They ran their fingers over them. They smelled them. They held them up to the light. They could never experience that from a book. The same can be said of snow, probably more so.

The Liberty Bell, Ground Zero, Golden Gate Bridge, London Bridge, Leaning Tower of Piza, etc., etc., all of these things you can read about in a book, but it is nothing like seeing them in person.

History comes ALIVE.
You can always visit tham. I bet a trip to a historical place gives you more appreciation for it then if you're constantly surrounded by it. As far as seasons, My relatives up north have told me how lucky I was to live in a place where it dosen't snow. I didn't believe them until I experienced the snow for myself.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:09 PM

Default My older daughter

Quote:
You can always visit tham. I bet a trip to a historical place gives you more appreciation for it then if you're constantly surrounded by it. As far as seasons, My relatives up north have told me how lucky I was to live in a place where it dosen't snow. I didn't believe them until I experienced the snow for myself.
checks the Naples weather forecasts and calls me up. "I hear it will be 90 degrees there today". "HA HA". "It is lovely 60 here today."

She is very happy she left when she did. "I would rather put up with a couple of months of winter and have NICE weather for the MAJORITY of the year, than visa versa in Florida."

Last edited by TANaples; 05-20-2009 at 01:21 PM..

Old 05-20-2009, 01:17 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
So can I surmise from your post that you feel that cities with less old buildings have more uneducated people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City