Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city would you rather live in?
Philly 120 65.93%
Tampa 62 34.07%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 02:16 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,828,520 times

Advertisements

Living wise Tampa visiting wise Philadelphia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 04:06 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
I'd rather live in Tampa, I already want to live there. Tampa is close to Orlando too.

People say the Summers are unbearable but when I went there the heat index was above 120° and I liked it.

I love Tampa its a beautiful city.

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-05-2009 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: Please report any of those type of messages via the rep system

Old 08-05-2009, 05:13 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,968,980 times
Tampa by FAR. The weather's better, there are wonderful beaches, it has a more tropical feel, has pro sports like Philly except basketball, and Orlando's not far for that, has a far superior waterfront, scratch that waterfrontS when you take St. Pete into account, and is just a cleaner, more beautiful city. Much less expensive too.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:54 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Well Florida is better then Penn anyway. I've been to Phili. It's cool, but I hate cold weather and bricks.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:18 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
Philadelphia by far in all categories. Tampa is ok for a weekend vacation but not for much more. Tampa does not have the activities or ameneties that are important to me and has far to much sprawl, in addition the southern culture does not appeal to me..

Old 08-05-2009, 11:52 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Id pick Philly in a heartbeat over Tampa.Unless I wanted to be closer to family here in Georgia/That would be the only reason.However I have a lot of family in Philly.I hate the weather during the winter,but I would bear it more than having to deal with hurricanes.Tampa is rather basic in my opinion.I mean it has some things that big cities have but its nothing unique or noteworthy about it.No famous buildings,people,music...nothing.Nice but nothing special accept the beaches.Not even really historic in nature.It does seem clean though.I am not trying to hate on Tampa but that was just my opinion.Although I admit I have only been a couple of times.Maybe if someone were to make me more aware of things going on there ,I would be more interested.

This thread has got to be on the most unusual comparisons of 2 cities though.I can't even believe this post made it over 40 pages so far.I think most people were like me,just wanting to see what kind of things people were saying.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:28 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Id pick Philly in a heartbeat over Tampa.Unless I wanted to be closer to family here in Georgia/That would be the only reason.However I have a lot of family in Philly.I hate the weather during the winter,but I would bear it more than having to deal with hurricanes.Tampa is rather basic in my opinion.I mean it has some things that big cities have but its nothing unique or noteworthy about it.No famous buildings,people,music...nothing.Nice but nothing special accept the beaches.Not even really historic in nature.It does seem clean though.I am not trying to hate on Tampa but that was just my opinion.Although I admit I have only been a couple of times.Maybe if someone were to make me more aware of things going on there ,I would be more interested.

This thread has got to be on the most unusual comparisons of 2 cities though.I can't even believe this post made it over 40 pages so far.I think most people were like me,just wanting to see what kind of things people were saying.
Tampa has a few historic places.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...vis_island.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Bay_Hotel.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_KVmReQtTNJ...9+031+(2).jpg: This photo where the bench is, is Cuban Soil in Tampa, sanctioned by the US and Cuban Government. That's what's so special about the place.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Tampa has a few historic places.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...vis_island.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Bay_Hotel.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_KVmReQtTNJ...9+031+(2).jpg: This photo where the bench is, is Cuban Soil in Tampa, sanctioned by the US and Cuban Government. That's what's so special about the place.
The Palace of Florida to me is nothing special.Just being honest.It looks fake.Never liked it.Now the Bay Hotel....That is ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL. Definitely a jewel.Unfortunately all that stuff is no more than of local importance.Its nice to know about .Is there not anything that Tampa is known for?A famous person that people know everywhere,a structure or building?Music?Something?Thats why I think Tampa lacks.CULTURE,HISTORY.There is no way it can ever compete with Philly on History.Few cities other than the oldest cities can.Culture wise ,that will take a very,very,very,very long time .

Old 08-06-2009, 02:46 AM

I do think Tampa would be easier to live in .Due to it being cheaper,but the things I enjoy here in Atlanta,it would be harder in Tampa than Philly.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:49 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,968,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Is there not anything that Tampa is known for?
A tropical vibe. Even in area outdoor shopping venues like Channelside and the (St. Pete) Baywalk.

The Florida Aquarium

Renaissance Vinoy Resort and Golf Club (St. Pete)

The Pinellas (pedestrian) Trail

Ybor City

Spanish/Mediterranean architecture

Boating, including Gasparilla

That's just off the top of my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City