U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 06:25 PM

19 posts, read 46,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Two totally different cities, but both are very nice. Grand Rapids has more schools and a better assortment of degrees can be obtained than in Traverse City.

TC on the other hand is a LOT smaller and does have a decent Nursing program (I really don't know what they offer in Computers). Both have free/low cost things to do, but TC tends to be a bit more outdoor oriented than the GR area. TC is close to "wine" country and the area around there produces some great wines and that in turn produces some great areas for drives through the country. They are also a HUGE Cherry producing area and hold the National Cherry Festival every year. TC is smaller and very walkable, but the winters are longer and harder than those in Grand Rapids. Also Traverse City is located right on Lake Michigan's Grand Traverse Bay which gives the whole area a more laid-back feeling.

Grand Rapids has a LOT going for it. I get down there a couple times a month just because. It is more centrally located in the State and makes driving times to go anywhere else shorter (Unless you are going to the UP). Chicago is a few Hours away, as is Detroit. For me the major drawback with GR is it is inland and away from Lake Michigan. It does have the Grand River running right through town which is nice to walk along in the evening on the riverwalk. It has more of a bigger city feel than TC, but even though it is around 1 million in it's metro area, the attitude and feeling is of a much smaller community. It is an area that is hard to describe really. Bigger city amenities, but small city feel. Close to everything, but stands on it's own. A few minutes will get you out of town and into farm country with orchards and just about anything else you can think of.

I think it would come down to what you like better if both places offer the courses you want and need. Bigger city with some nightlife - GR; Smaller place that is quiet - TC. Both offer festivals, both offer nature close on hand, both offer opportunity in Healthcare (GR has more choice due to it's size).

This is a very good post! I feel like I know a little bit more about each town. I am leaning a bit more TC, for a number of reasons, but it seems more like us, although honestly, we are far from having made up our minds. Thank you though, I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Maybe Rochester or Syracuse.
I will check them out! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I would recommend in the current day in the U.S. ... to not take on anymore debt. There is no guarantee that even when you finish your degree you are actually going to have a job to pay off your loans, neither with your boyfriend... especially in IT... IT along with automotive are the most outsourced industries (especially the entry level stuff) with no sign of decline. You could move to california and go live in a commune while going to best public schools in the country.

I understand completely what you are saying and we realize the risk of taking on more debt.however, we do not have or use credit cards, if we can't pay cash, we don't buy it. The only expenses we have are a car payment and the usual living expenses. But the point is, while it may be unconventional, we need the loans gto live on. My husband has been unemployed for awhile now, I've lost track of hopw many apps he has put in, all over the country, in any and every job he remotely qualifies for. We have been doing everything the "right" way, he works at finding work, every day, even weekends, he networks, he has volunteered to make connections, I mean LITERALLY everything we can think of to find a job and it's just not happening. So we figured he would also go to school, and turn this lousy economy into a positive. He may as well do something useful with his time and when the economy is better he will come out of it more educated.

I realize under normal circumstances taking out these loans are NOT a good idea. But we have kids to support and we need to make it to the future, preferrably in our own home, not a shelter.

But as for communes, was that a joke, lol? I thought those were long gone.

Thanks for your time, I appreciate it.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:25 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,496,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespiritsprite View Post
I understand completely what you are saying and we realize the risk of taking on more debt.however, we do not have or use credit cards, if we can't pay cash, we don't buy it. The only expenses we have are a car payment and the usual living expenses. But the point is, while it may be unconventional, we need the loans gto live on. My husband has been unemployed for awhile now, I've lost track of hopw many apps he has put in, all over the country, in any and every job he remotely qualifies for. We have been doing everything the "right" way, he works at finding work, every day, even weekends, he networks, he has volunteered to make connections, I mean LITERALLY everything we can think of to find a job and it's just not happening. So we figured he would also go to school, and turn this lousy economy into a positive. He may as well do something useful with his time and when the economy is better he will come out of it more educated.

I realize under normal circumstances taking out these loans are NOT a good idea. But we have kids to support and we need to make it to the future, preferrably in our own home, not a shelter.

But as for communes, was that a joke, lol? I thought those were long gone.

Thanks for your time, I appreciate it.
No it wasn't a joke on the communes. They exist allover northern california and oregon. maybe too far to commute to a school though from where they are at.

If you take out a loan for SCHOOL books and tuition, fine... as long as you get a federal subsidized loan which allows deferment etc. on it. I would absolutely not take a loan out for living expenses though, but that is just me. I'm sure you could work full time and go to school somewhere. I am doing just the same and doing it with grad school, 4 classes, 40 hours a week. I would seriously go down to eating pasta rice and beans before taking on debt right now... But that is just how I think. I personally think the current economy for the foreseeable future is too volatile. Unless you are getting a professional degree like law/med school/phd I would not take out the money...but pay as you go. Jobs across the board are paying less than previous years rated with inflation, and that is even if you can find a job. Company loyalty to keep you is also over with. I think it is great you are going to school, but again, I wouldn't take the loans out to do it. If you are finishing in 2 years, you are probably still going to compete with a 9-10% national unemployment rate... unemployment is the very last thing to catch up after a recession, which means you are going to be competing with people with higher degrees and way more experience with you during this contraction.
There are about to be a lot of recent graduates waiting tables at applebee's the next few years.
Unemployment for people in their 20's will go above the national rate to be sure.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:29 PM

56,263 posts, read 80,446,330 times
Here's some Upstate cities you might like:

Oswego
The Official Web Site of the City of Oswego

State University of New York at Oswego

Oswego, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Official Web Site of Oswego County, NY, USA

Binghamton
City Of Binghamton, New York

Binghamton University - Home

Broome County, NY

Broome County, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Utica
City of Utica, Home

Welcome to Utica College

SUNY Institute of Technology--Welcome

Oneida County, NY

Oneida County, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Syracuse
City of Syracuse

Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau

Syracuse University

Welcome to Onondaga County, New York

Onondaga County, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Central New York Jobs

Le Moyne. Spirit. Inquiry. Leadership. Jesuit

Syracuse Apartments for rent in NEW YORK | ApartmentFinder.com

Rochester
VisitRochester

City of Rochester

MyMonroe. Opening Up Government. | Monroe County, NY

Welcome! The College at Brockport

St. John Fisher College

Nazareth College

Roberts Wesleyan College - Christian Liberal Arts College in Upstate New York - Rochester, NY

RIT - Rochester Institute of Technology

University of Rochester

Welcome to SUNY Geneseo

Buffalo
Home - City of Buffalo

Buffalo Niagara Convention and Visitors Bureau lists Buffalo Attractions and Accommodations

Erie County (New York) Government Home Page

Buffalo State College

Canisius College -- Where leaders are made

D’Youville College - Buffalo, NY

University at Buffalo

Medaille College - a leader in undergraduate and graduate education in Western New York

Welcome to Daemen College

Hilbert College

and some more information about Upstate NY:
Rochester NY apartments, Buffalo apartments, Syracuse apartments, Albany NY apartments listings from The Renters Guide

SUNY: Map of Campuses

City of Cortland Official Web Site

City of Plattsburgh

Welcome to the Official Website for Oneonta, New York

Potsdam, NY 13676

Village of Canton , Canton, NY 13617

Community of New Paltz, NY

http://www.albanyny.org/home.aspx

Welcome to Albany, NY!

The State University of New York - SUNY Employment

SUNY: Program Search

SUNY Cortland - Home Page

SUNY Plattsburgh

Welcome to the Home Page of the State University College at Oneonta

Welcome to the State University of New York at New Paltz!

University at Albany - SUNY

Western New York Jobs - Buffalo and Rochester Employment listings

Albany Jobs - Search Albany Job Listings

and much more......

Old 05-08-2009, 09:07 PM

3,003 posts, read 2,450,166 times
I'd also recommend the Lansing/East Lansing, MI area. While it's further from the beach, there are a lot of good schools and a lot of degree programs (both community college and universities,) quite a bit of health care stuff, and a fair number of festivals during the summer.

Actually, a lot of cities in Michigan would fit your criteria - which is a bit surprising in many ways...

Old 05-09-2009, 11:14 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,899,598 times
In regards to TC or Grand Rapids. I prefer TC. Grand Rapids has become a pretty big city in my book. TC offer's so much in regard to things to do. It's a gorgeous smaller city that retains a bit of a big city feel. There is anything and everything you could want in an area in TC. No matter where you live in TC the school is not a far drive. If I had my way my wife and I would be there already. I love TC.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Here's some Upstate cities you might like:

Oswego
The Official Web Site of the City of Oswego

State University of New York at Oswego

Oswego, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Official Web Site of Oswego County, NY, USA

Binghamton
City Of Binghamton, New York

Binghamton University - Home

Broome County, NY

Broome County, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Utica
City of Utica, Home

Welcome to Utica College

SUNY Institute of Technology--Welcome

Oneida County, NY

Oneida County, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Syracuse
City of Syracuse

Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau

Syracuse University

Welcome to Onondaga County, New York

Onondaga County, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Central New York Jobs

Le Moyne. Spirit. Inquiry. Leadership. Jesuit

Syracuse Apartments for rent in NEW YORK | ApartmentFinder.com

Rochester
VisitRochester

City of Rochester

MyMonroe. Opening Up Government. | Monroe County, NY

Welcome! The College at Brockport

St. John Fisher College

Nazareth College

Roberts Wesleyan College - Christian Liberal Arts College in Upstate New York - Rochester, NY

RIT - Rochester Institute of Technology

University of Rochester

Welcome to SUNY Geneseo

Buffalo
Home - City of Buffalo

Buffalo Niagara Convention and Visitors Bureau lists Buffalo Attractions and Accommodations

Erie County (New York) Government Home Page

Buffalo State College

Canisius College -- Where leaders are made

D’Youville College - Buffalo, NY

University at Buffalo

Medaille College - a leader in undergraduate and graduate education in Western New York

Welcome to Daemen College

Hilbert College

and some more information about Upstate NY:
Rochester NY apartments, Buffalo apartments, Syracuse apartments, Albany NY apartments listings from The Renters Guide

SUNY: Map of Campuses

City of Cortland Official Web Site

City of Plattsburgh

Welcome to the Official Website for Oneonta, New York

Potsdam, NY 13676

Village of Canton , Canton, NY 13617

Community of New Paltz, NY

The Official Site of the City of Albany, NY

Welcome to Albany, NY!

The State University of New York - SUNY Employment

SUNY: Program Search

SUNY Cortland - Home Page

SUNY Plattsburgh

Welcome to the Home Page of the State University College at Oneonta

Welcome to the State University of New York at New Paltz!

University at Albany - SUNY

Western New York Jobs - Buffalo and Rochester Employment listings

Albany Jobs - Search Albany Job Listings

and much more......

OMG! What a great post! Thank you so much for all of that information. It is going to keep me busy for hours, if not days, lol.

Thanks so much! Don't be surprised if I have a hundred more questions while going through all of this. And out of the towns / cities above, do you have a favorite large and a favorite small city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
I'd also recommend the Lansing/East Lansing, MI area. While it's further from the beach, there are a lot of good schools and a lot of degree programs (both community college and universities,) quite a bit of health care stuff, and a fair number of festivals during the summer.

Actually, a lot of cities in Michigan would fit your criteria - which is a bit surprising in many ways...
I will check this out, thanks! Michigan, even though the economy is not great, really seems like it could be the answer to our prayers. It really sounds as if Michigan could be home! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
In regards to TC or Grand Rapids. I prefer TC. Grand Rapids has become a pretty big city in my book. TC offer's so much in regard to things to do. It's a gorgeous smaller city that retains a bit of a big city feel. There is anything and everything you could want in an area in TC. No matter where you live in TC the school is not a far drive. If I had my way my wife and I would be there already. I love TC.

I think TC sounds more like us. We are definitely not big city people. It would be great to go and visit and get our fix of the things you can't get in a smaller city, but we def prefer to live a slwoer pace of life. Not sure if you can answer this, but do you know how winters ( temps and snowfall rates) compare in each of these two? Do they have to have a blizzard to close the schools? Where I am now, if there's a dusting everything shuts down.

Thanks for your input.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:16 AM

2,970 posts, read 6,258,325 times
As far as comparing West Michigan to Upstate New York..........right now if you are going to be going to school and your partner is unemployed.....I'd go with Grand Rapids or T.C.

I'm from GR originally and my boyfriend is from the Rochester/Fairport area of New York. The economy is just as bad in upstate NY right now and the taxes are ridiculous.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:47 PM

56,263 posts, read 80,446,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
As far as comparing West Michigan to Upstate New York..........right now if you are going to be going to school and your partner is unemployed.....I'd go with Grand Rapids or T.C.

I'm from GR originally and my boyfriend is from the Rochester/Fairport area of New York. The economy is just as bad in upstate NY right now and the taxes are ridiculous.
It depends on what part of Upstate and what your skill set is. Syracuse, where I'm from, is a city in transition from manufacturing to education, health care and even some high tech jobs.

Rochester and Grand Rapids are similar in terms of size. Then, you have Buffalo, Syracuse and Albany in Upstate too. Ithaca is a nice smaller city and Binghamton is underrated.

Also, the housing markets in Upstate cities like Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo and Binghamton are some of the most affordable in the country. Check this site out from the Syracuse area: #1 Syracuse Real Estate Website | CNYREALTOR.COM (Go to Onondaga County)

I went to Michigan State for a few years. So, I know a little bit about Michigan too. I would personally go with Grand Rapids or maybe Ann Arbor if I were to move there. I don't think the taxes are that much lower actually and from my experience here in Upstate NY, you pretty much get good services for what you pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City