Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the second most important in the nation?
LA 211 35.34%
Chicago 171 28.64%
DC 81 13.57%
SF 39 6.53%
Boston 62 10.39%
Houston 33 5.53%
Voters: 597. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 03:45 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Wow....when did this become a english class??? No one will take you serious if you continue to be a hypocrite.
I have to say, I see more people who are located North of the Mason-Dixon line who write sentances that make no sense. But that's Rachael for you. She is famous on the City vs. City for inventing things to suit her own agenda. It is almost like she really believes all this crap she spouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 05:40 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I really question many people from the south on this board who try to prove their points with grammatically wrong sentences and all these spelling mistakes (I say people from the south since I see a lot more of them than those from the north). No one can take you seriously if you don't have good grammar or spelling.
This coming from the person that did not know the difference between your and you're? Pot calling the kettle black on this one.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:53 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
This coming from the person that did not know the difference between your and you're? Pot calling the kettle black on this one.

I've always known the difference between you're and your. You're confusing me with someone else.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I always use the correct you're and your. You're confusing me with someone else.
Really? From your post in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84
Of course education is important on a national level!! We're in big trouble if this country doesn't think it's important on that high of a level. I can tell from your spelling you don't place a very high importance on education.
People living glass houses should not throw stones. I know we all make mistakes. But your comment is just a building block to not only bash him but to bash the Southern region. So I wouldn't be walking around like I'm holier than thou such as yourself in post number 79. Also, what is your beef with Houston anyway? You think it's some backwater town and that's not the case.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:00 PM

LOL I used it in the correct way. Here's a little lesson. Break down you're and it turns into "you are"--so if I were to break that sentence down, it would read as the following: "I can tell from you are spelling you don't place a very high importance on education." See, it doesn't make sense. When you try to call out someone, make sure YOU'RE right.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:09 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
Quote:
Really? From your post in this thread.

People living glass houses should not throw stones. I know we all make mistakes. But your comment is just a building block to not only bash him but to bash the Southern region. So I wouldn't be walking around like I'm holier than thou such as yourself in post number 79. Also, what is your beef with Houston anyway? You think it's some backwater town and that's not the case.
Yea dude, not to call you out but she was saying it correctly.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:14 PM

Well I was owned (man enough to admit it) as I read it wrong. But my point about how all of us on this board make mistakes still stands. All of us make mistakes grammatically from time to time and it's best to not even dwell on the issue.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:26 PM

Well, say you were reading an article by some well-known journalist. They were trying to prove some big important point in the article with all of these facts to back up their point. What if they had 4 grammar/spelling mistakes in it? You would take it less seriously if there were mistakes in it. It's human nature to do that.

But anyway, carry on...

Old 05-08-2009, 06:44 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,372,669 times
Quote:
Well I was owned (man enough to admit it) as I read it wrong. But my point about how all of us on this board make mistakes still stands. All of us make mistakes grammatically from time to time and it's best to not even dwell on the issue.
Point well made.

This is a internet message board. The goal is to get your point across not write a dissertation.

#2 LA

Old 05-09-2009, 02:16 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Im glad you brought that up.

You are referring to a completely different ranking altogether. One that doesnt really deal with cultural contribution at all. Just the locations of law firms and the like.

As far as culture and economic impact combined, they have made no update from the one I posted.
I just checked, and yea, the report you cited and the one I cited are actually from two different groups within GAWC using different methodologies--sorry for the confusion.

The one I'm citing does include the number of law firms, but within "the like" they also include financial services (banking, insurance, etc.), accountancy, advertising, management consultancy, media servicesheadquarters of Forbes 2000, hospitality, tourism/entertainment, science parks, and a few other things. That's quite a big net.

As for the Boston versus Houston argument, right now it's in Boston's favor. The schools in the Boston area are arguably some of the most powerful institutions in the world--the human capital that Boston generates is incredible. Meanwhile, it also serves as a hub for various expanding and established industries. However, it's doubtful that Boston will hold its power for very long. Houston's growth is in all directions--larger population, greater GDP, greater diversity, stronger schools, etc.

Anyhow, I'm going with Chicago (though first discounting DC because of its rather special status). The Southland might be the second biggest metro, but Chicago's much more centrally located. Also, Chicago has a pretty big finger in almost every pie--maybe not the biggest finger, but pretty big nonetheless. This makes Chicago much more of a "second" city than others which are weighted more heavily in only a few industries. Of course, this isn't a firm position, but with the senator from Hyde Park having taken center stage, and the possibility of hosting the next Olympics, Chicago might be able to clinch the title for the next couple of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City