Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the second most important in the nation?
LA 211 35.34%
Chicago 171 28.64%
DC 81 13.57%
SF 39 6.53%
Boston 62 10.39%
Houston 33 5.53%
Voters: 597. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 03:35 PM

318 posts, read 321,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Never really spent any time in the Midwest, as I was mostly raised in LA and in scattered parts of East Asia. Your rants are silly, though I like how much passion you put into them.
I am glad you like them. Now go back to writing your absurd posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 03:45 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
I am glad you like them. Now go back to writing your absurd posts.
Please point out the absurdities, it's good sport.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:58 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
Quote:
Kid, aren't you just another Midwestern s*hmuck transplanted to New York who thinks he can drown the obvious in thousand words?
Your scriblings resemble poems created by schizophrenics: the same pompous style and little or no substance.
I think it's time you stop ripping on Midwesterners. There have been many great people from the Midwest, and many people are still here. You are no better than people living in the Midwest - not quite sure why you think you are. Most people who are truly successful in life don't belittle others (let alone 66 million people). It must be very satisfying to think you're better than that many people. And you talk about people being pompous and schizo?? Just saying ...

Old 08-12-2009, 04:16 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I think it's time you stop ripping on Midwesterners. There have been many great people from the Midwest, and many people are still here. You are no better than people living in the Midwest - not quite sure why you think you are. Most people who are truly successful in life don't belittle others (let alone 66 million people). It must be very satisfying to think you're better than that many people. And you talk about people being pompous and schizo?? Just saying ...

Can someone please make a note to the poster known as thefinalcutdemontoradvocusviolaeuros1 and tell it to take me off his/her/its/their/entity's ignore list? I feel if it just listens to me, just by chance, I could pull it back from the brink. I really want to help it, but alas, the ignore list-- once such a haven-- has turned against me.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
You are such a great bunch of people: open, non-judgemental, easy-going, classy, witty and fun to be around. Chicago and Illinois is such a marvelous place: artsy, cultured, non-segragated, safe, progressive and most importantly run with honest and hardworking, in a truly Midwestern way, politicians.
I am sorry, I just can't help it seeing how your claims can't stand confrontation with reality.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:39 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times
Quote:
Why? Who cares? Its not like there's anyone on here who thinks this poster is anything other than a nutjob troll or takes what they say seriously, so we might as well just let him/her/it continue to alienate itself and show how little class or rationality it has.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:05 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
grapico, do you also have this Midwestern knack for overcomplicating things? We are talking about publishing as a commerce, in this respect Chicago has not much to show as there is a single title with national distirbution, Playboy Magazine. DC has more (Washington Post, Washingtonian, National Journal) and LA has more (Variety, Hollywood Reporter)

PS. Oxford Press USA Inc is not in England.
Not trying to complicate things, please come with the #'s. Tribune company owns la times, as I said earlier, which would be the biggest and most reputable of LA...
I'd like to see the commerce data, as I'm obviously coming from a reputation stance... with the size of the Tribune company alone it has to be high, though not even on the radar of NYC.

oup usa is just a branch or affiliate if you will...just like oup canada
all branches are managed out of oxford university... ENGLAND.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Not trying to complicate things, please come with the #'s. Tribune company owns la times, as I said earlier, which would be the biggest and most reputable of LA...
I'd like to see the commerce data, as I'm obviously coming from a reputation stance... with the size of the Tribune company alone it has to be high, though not even on the radar of NYC.

oup usa is just a branch or affiliate if you will...just like oup canada
all branches are managed out of oxford university... ENGLAND.

What? The fact that Tribune owns many newspapers around the country (soon to own less, is in bancuptcy protection) does not mean that Chicago is relevant as a publishing city as the newspapers that Tribune owns are not published in Chicago.
What numbers to do you want? A proof that DC's US and World Report or Washington Post has a national circulation while Chicago Tribune does not? Pompously, as always the case with Chicago, the so-called World's Greatest Newspaper (WGN) has virtually no circualtion outside of the city and region and you know it. Commerce data? Chicago has a single title with a truly national circulation and hardly representing "respectable journalism": Playboy Magazine. What commerce data you want???

***Why it is so hard with you guys? You are defensive to the point that you deny publicaly available and verifiable data. ;( That's pathetic to say the least and turns every comment about Chicago into a lenghty discussion. Someone said Chicago is number 2 city based on publishing criteria while we all know that publishing in Chicago is virtually non-existent.

Last edited by thefinalcut; 08-13-2009 at 04:58 PM..

Old 08-13-2009, 04:33 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Not only that, but newspapers are becoming more obsolete each and every day.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Not only that, but newspapers are becoming more obsolete each and every day.
Maybe they are but I can't imagine a morning coffee without a copy of the Post for local trivia. It still sells in big numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City