U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the second most important in the nation?
LA 196 34.21%
Chicago 165 28.80%
DC 81 14.14%
SF 37 6.46%
Boston 62 10.82%
Houston 32 5.58%
Voters: 573. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 11:14 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,947 posts, read 3,429,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
DC is great for biotech but let's not get ahead of ourselves. It's not #1 for biotech. San Francisco and the bay area is still ahead of it for that and so is the Boston area. Top 5 though, for sure. DC's biotech industry is not as well known as Chicago's financial industry in the end. I work in the tech field and if you mention biotech, DC is not the very first area to come to mind.
What I mean is that DC's biotech industry is another level of industry outside of the Federal Government which is being mentioned here as the "only thing the city offers." I'm not saying it's #1 or #2 for biotech but still would be considered more of a center of it than Chicago is. So combined with the federal government/ seat of power that makes DC as formidable as Chi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 11:16 PM

14,792 posts, read 18,961,151 times
Oh most definitely DC has more than just the Federal Government. There's a lot of stuff going on due to the fact that companies want to be close to certain government agencies and contract work, and the pure fact that there's a lot of very intelligent people in the area anyway. Lots going on and I think that poster knows that - they were just posting what that city is most known for, not everything they are known for ... I hope.

DC is definitely a powerhouse MSA, no doubt about it. All of these choices are, though I'd say Houston is the newest to the game out of all and probably the least versatile out of all.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:22 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,947 posts, read 3,429,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Oh most definitely DC has more than just the Federal Government. There's a lot of stuff going on due to the fact that companies want to be close to certain government agencies and contract work, and the pure fact that there's a lot of very intelligent people in the area anyway. Lots going on and I think that poster knows that - they were just posting what that city is most known for, not everything they are known for ... I hope.

DC is definitely a powerhouse MSA, no doubt about it. All of these choices are, though I'd say Houston is the newest to the game out of all and probably the least versatile out of all.
I agree, Houston is moving so fast, hope they just figure out enough of a backup plan if the energy industry slows down.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:27 PM

2,112 posts, read 5,271,521 times
DC. Why is this even a question? Houston would be last on this list. Besides, "important" is a loaded word!

The US would utterly collapse if NYC or DC went up in flames in a day. The other cities - it would be a national and economic disaster unprecedented in the world, but we'd find a solution and get over it.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:28 PM

14,792 posts, read 18,961,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I agree, Houston is moving so fast, hope they just figure out enough of a backup plan if the energy industry slows down.
Yep, exactly. I don't think it will slow down for a long time, but you never know what can happen. I do think that of the choices, DC and Chicago area have the two most versatile economies - maybe put Boston in that. SF not far behind versatility wise.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:57 PM

2,112 posts, read 5,271,521 times
While I would never come so close to saying SF is the #2 for purposes of this thread, I do feel the need to correct you here. I strongly believe SF and the general Bay Area to be more diverse than DC or Boston. Here is what people fail to realize:

In addition to being the global leader in all things "tech" (though within the Bay Area you can bifurcate where the tech companies like to cluster depending on their largest focus), the Bay Area is the #2 life sciences/biotech behind Boston. Ok, so that is your 21st century industry cluster the area is most well known for.

But a lot of people also recognize the importance of the financial sector in the city. Keep in mind that both Bank of America and Wells Fargo come from SF, with the latter still HQ'd here (the former "left" in the 90s, but still occupies space in the city's tallest and maintains a huge presence in the city). But in addition to a large clustering of large banks ($100B+ in assets...I believe there ae 4-5 HQ'd in SF that have large regional presence in the western half of the US), there are staple names like Charles Schwaab, Visa, and Franklin Templeton that are based here. Not to mention a series of hedge funds and investment banks, PE firms, and the largest concentration of VC firms in the world.

Probably behind Tech/Biotech/Finance is the energy sector, which is quite large in SF/the Bay Area. Anyone who has driven around Richmond, Vallejo, and Martinez knows this. The Port of Richmond is one of the largest oil import ports in the country, and the number of refineries in the area is probably 3rd behind Houston and LA. Chevron (3rd largest company in America) is based in the area. There are lots of energy companies, as well (PG&E, #183 in F500), and Calpine shares HQ with Houston. The Bay Area leads the country in solar energy production/manufacture/research. The infamous Solyndra was based here.

Then behind energy is probably fashion/retail. Gap/Banana Republic/Old Navy. Pottery Barn/Williams Sonoma. Competitor Sur La Table. Levi Strauss. Gymboree. The list goes on... Marmot. North Face. ROSS Stores. Safeway. Walmart.com and Macy's.com. etc etc

Behind that is media/entertainment. The monopoly does not go to LA . Pixar. LucasArts/LucasFilm. Electronic Arts. DreamWorks Animation. Pandora. Sony Entertainment. Netflix. All based here.

Behind that is probably just the randoms - Kaiser Permanente, Virgin America, McKesson (#14 on F500), Clorox, Tesla Motors, Gensler, Del Monte Foods, etc etc etc.

Bottom line is the Bay Area is a HUGEEEEE diverse economy. One cannot grasp it until living here.

But as the center of the Bay Area, San Francisco is still by no means the #2 most important city in America. Definitely DC (and I would think DC is probably not *as* versatile as we give it credit for). It can be argued that DC is *the* most important city in America, and NYC is #2. But those two cities together are undeniably the 2 most important cities in this country. Without a doubt.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:27 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,595,134 times
Ya, to go even further - if not on Chicago's level, then the Bay Area is above Chicago - not below in regards to diversified economy..

- Finance? Bay Area is a Top 5. (New York, Chicago, Boston, & Washington DC are the other 4)

- Energy? Bay Area is a Top 3. (Houston & Dallas/Fort Worth being the other two)

- Tech? Bay Area is # 1.

- Banking? Bay Area is a Top 3 (New York & Chicago are the other two)

- Automobile? Bay Area is # 2 behind Detroit - prime concept variation with Tesla headquartered in Bay Area.

- Medical Services? Bay Area is # 2, right behind Boston.

- Educational Facilities? Bay Area is # 2, right behind Boston.

- Retail? Bay Area is # 3 (Behind Minneapolis & New York)

- Politics? Bay Area is the leading place for the liberal concept and movements, putting it in the Top 3 with Washington DC & New York.

- Film Production? Bay Area is # 3 right behind Los Angeles & New York and right ahead of Miami & Chicago.

- Corporate Base? Bay Area is # 2 (Right behind New York & right ahead of Chicago)

- Port activity? Bay Area is a Top 5 seaport in tonnage.

- Aviation? Bay Area is again Top 5 in international commerce

- Manufacturing? This is the one category where it slips off Top 5 level and goes into Top 7.

- Federal Reserve Action? Top of charts in this aspect with New York, Washington DC & Chicago being there too.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:32 AM

9,830 posts, read 10,072,083 times
Default Historical census

In 1890 Chicago (which just cracked 100K in 1860 census) passed Philadelphia in population. It wasn't until 1990 the LA (with a much larger area) passed Chicago in population

1890 census
1,099,850 Chicago city, IL
1,046,964 Philadelphia city, PA

1990 census
3,485,398 Los Angeles city, CA.. 469.3 square miles
2,783,726 Chicago city, IL......... 227.2 square miles

The boroughs of Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx and Manhattan all have higher raw density than San Francisco, but ranking major cities (over 1/4 million) by density.

People per square mile 2010 census
27,779 New York City
17,246 San Francisco
13,321 Boston
11,868 Chicago
11,234 Philadelphia
10,162 Miami
8,225 Los Angeles

When looking at Urban Areas irrespective of municipal, county or state boundaries, you see that Los Angeles has much more crowded suburbs than Chicago or NYC. The raw density of LA urban area is highest of the three. This fact often surprises people.

18,351,295 New York--Newark 3,450.2 square miles 5,318.9 per square mile
12,150,996 Los Angeles--Long Beach--Anaheim 1,736.0 square miles 6,999.3 per sq. mile
8,608,208 Chicago--Gary 2,442.8 square miles 3,524.0 per sq. mile

The definition of urban area is different than MSA or CMSA. The latter two respects county boundaries. Urban area simply follows a predetermined definition of urban and does not necessarily include whole counties.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 04-22-2014 at 05:34 AM..

Old 04-22-2014, 06:12 AM

4,242 posts, read 5,451,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
DC as an MSA on most metrics stands toe to toe with Chicago. DC-Baltimore CSA (still 400,000 smaller) on most metrics blows Chicago out the water. Chicago does not pack the same punch that DC does for it's size.
I don't think this is accurate.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:14 AM

6,015 posts, read 6,341,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
- Port activity? Bay Area is a Top 5 seaport in tonnage.
I didn't take the time to go through to verify your other facts but I know right off the bat that this is not accurate. The highest ranked seaport in the Bay Area is Richmond ranked #33 at ~ 28 million tons/yr. Then Oakland at #45 (~16 mil tons). Stockton is ranked #106 at ~2.8 million. The Port of San Francisco is ranked #112 at ~ 2.7 mil. Redwood City is at ~ 1.4 million. Still only adds up to about 51 million/yr. By comparison, the Port of Long Beach alone is ranked #5 at ~ 80 million annual tonnage. These are the most updated stats I found, and I can't imagine things have changed too dramatically since.

List of ports in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or