Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the second most important in the nation?
LA 211 35.34%
Chicago 171 28.64%
DC 81 13.57%
SF 39 6.53%
Boston 62 10.39%
Houston 33 5.53%
Voters: 597. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 10:25 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
^^ I think the only city that can fight Boston for as far as history is probably Philadelphia. Maybe New York. But Philly and Boston I think are 1-2 in this department.
You made a clerical error here.
It should be Philly and Boston are numbers 2 and 1 in this department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 11:26 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,578,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
New York city.
From the looks of the results of this poll, I wouldn't be so sure about that!

Old 05-20-2009, 11:50 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
Dementor, how do you feel about Chicago? Don't answer that here's my list:
*D.C.
*Chicago
*Boston
*San Fran
*Houston
*Los Angeles
I hope that is not in order....

Old 05-20-2009, 01:58 PM

572 posts, read 1,995,134 times
I'm not sure anyone asked the question but...second most important in what?
Business - Chicago
Fashion - LA
Decisions that affect the rest of the country - DC
Computer industry - SF
Education - Boston (maybe)

Old 05-20-2009, 02:25 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st. louie louie View Post
I'm not sure anyone asked the question but...second most important in what?
Business - Chicago
Fashion - LA
Decisions that affect the rest of the country - DC
Computer industry - SF
Education - Boston (maybe)
Good post.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:00 PM

765 posts, read 1,860,484 times
Philadelphia and Boston are both equal in terms of history, however I'll lean to Philly. Boston wasn't the capital, Philly was. As important as the revolutions that took place in Boston and NE were, I dont think theres anything more landmark in American history than the Declaration of Independence and the ratification of the Constitution which BOTH took place in Philadelphia.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:11 PM

Chicago would be a good choice, it is the nation's 2nd largest business city and its markets ESPECIALLY the futures, mercantile, and derivative markets there are VERY important to the WORLD. Not even New York can replace Chicago in these markets.

And don't forget, out of all those cities that were listed, Chicago stands out primarily because it has such a diverse economy. Chicago's influence is enormous in the business/financial sector, as well as being an industrial powerhouse, a major hi-tech industry, transportation hub of America, and nations #1 distribution center. Chicago is a powerhouse in many many ways, more so than the cities that were listed.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:18 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,448,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
Philadelphia and Boston are both equal in terms of history, however I'll lean to Philly. Boston wasn't the capital, Philly was. As important as the revolutions that took place in Boston and NE were, I dont think theres anything more landmark in American history than the Declaration of Independence and the ratification of the Constitution which BOTH took place in Philadelphia.
It was the largest city in the colonies until Jefferson, Hamilton, and Madison hatched a plan to weaken the city's influence. It also used to be the largest English-speaking city in the world outside of London before the plan was carried out. These are the reasons I prefer Philly to NYC and I always imagine it to be the busy city, not New York.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:19 PM

252 posts, read 960,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
Chicago would be a good choice, it is the nation's 2nd largest business city and its markets ESPECIALLY the futures, mercantile, and derivative markets there are VERY important to the WORLD. Not even New York can replace Chicago in these markets.

And don't forget, out of all those cities that were listed, Chicago stands out primarily because it has such a diverse economy. Chicago's influence is enormous in the business/financial sector, as well as being an industrial powerhouse, a major hi-tech industry, transportation hub of America, and nations #1 distribution center. Chicago is a powerhouse in many many ways, more so than the cities that were listed.
I'm not sure Chicago is the second leading business center in the US. LA's annual GDP is $639 billion, while Chicago's is only $460 billion. Chicago is a distant second to NY when it comes to banking and financial markets. Chicago does play a major role in distribution, but LA's port is where the majority of goods imported from Asia enter America.

In any case, the raw numbers support the conclusion that LA is more important to the nation's economy than is Chicago.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd.LA View Post
I'm not sure Chicago is the second leading business center in the US. LA's annual GDP is $639 billion, while Chicago's is only $460 billion. Chicago is a distant second to NY when it comes to banking and financial markets. Chicago does play a major role in distribution, but LA's port is where the majority of goods imported from Asia enter America.

In any case, the raw numbers support the conclusion that LA is more important to the nation's economy than is Chicago.
Do you realize that Chicago is one of the biggest trading centers in the world? CME is the largest trading pit in the world.

You know how NY trades "papers" like stocks? Chicago trades raw materials and its the worlds largest trading center for REAL things.

Don't ever underestimate Chicago's importance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City